Getting around in KL

I am considering a stint with my firm in KL.  How do most expats get around KL on a daily basis?  I'd prefer not to have a car, but I've read mixed things about the public transit.  Or assuming that I am close enough to walk to my job, how easy would it be for my wife to get out and do things on her own during the day?

Cheers
outernational

Hi and welcome on board outernational!

I hope other members will help you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Personnally I am not driving, I have a regular taxi driver who can fetch me almost any time, any where. So I guess your wife can find one!
Public transport is non existing in northern expat areas, but you can find some in Ampang area. Only in the city centre and near outskirts you may find the "LRT", "KTM" and "monorail".
The city centre is very jammed so you may ask taxi drivers to stop at the beginning of the metro line and then take the metro to the centre.
Walking may not be so nice (very often rainy and an umbrella cannot protect you, and very hot so you will sweat in your suit).

Thanks for the quick response. For your taxi driver, you can just give his mobile a ring and he will pick you up? Or is it a taxi company that will send out the nearest available driver?

Also curious, are there good housing options near the city centre? I'm coming from NYC, so I prefer to live in the middle of the city if possible and don't need a lot of space or fancy condo amenities as long as it's safe.

yes, he just picks me up every morning same time and if I need to travel anywhere, i just give him a call! check Ampang area, or if you really want central, its Bukit Bintang and KLCC area

Car!

I lived in KL for 2 years and car essential and coming back next month and booked a car to lease. Taxis can be unreliable in heavy traffic or heavy rain although you can find a light rail system centrally to get out of the centre. Walking in the humidity is hard, although I know one expat who walked everywhere but that's rare. It is easier if central only but I like tinget around and have friends in suburbs and that means a car is essential

Thanks for all the tips so far.  It definitely seems like a car is essential.  Is getting a driver in KL as common as it is in India?  My wife doesn't have a license since she grew up only in cities with great public transit.  When I did some work in India, I had a car and driver, which seems pretty common for at least the upper middle class folks in much of India.

I think getting a car on lease is the better option than taxi. find the necessary requirements before driving. once you are able to fulfill them, you will be at advantage