Open mic in Egypt?

Hi, all! For Americans, (and many nationalities), open mic nights for amateur singers/songwriters/musicians are quite common. As a singer, I'm wondering if there are lounges/cafes in Egypt that have open mic nights for "western-style" music. (Think "Eva Cassidy, Regina Spektor, Nora Jones".....not "Lady Gaga, Rihanna, etc".) I love Egyptian music, but I don't think anyone would want to hear me attempt to sing it! :lol:

Hi,
the British Community Association bar in Mohandessin has open mic nights about once a month and you can sing whatever you like there :) I'm sure there are other places too. Many Egyptians listen to Western music as well as Arabic so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, Elaine! :)

Hi,

I just saw this post. There is in fact an open mic tonight at Darb1718 in Old Cairo. They have an once a month, which is called On the Roof, 'cos it's on the roof of their building.

Here is the address:
Kasr El Sham3 Street
Al Fakhareen – Old Cairo
Behind the Hanging Church and Amr Mosque
Tel.:         + 2 23 610 511

The closest metro station is Mar Girgis, and it's a very short taxi ride away... or walkable, but I don't really know the way on foot.

If I didn't have other plans I would have gone tonight, but Darb's is so popular that you do have to put your name down with the owner in advance.

Here's a good link about it: http://www.cairo360.com/article/artsand … darb-1718/

Thank you, Londoner! I am not yet living in Egypt, but I will take certainly keep this in mind when/if I move! :)