Free Satellite TV In Spain

Hi

I'm moving to Spain soon and I was wondering how I get Satellite TV while I'm over there.  I'm a complete noob and don't even know where to start.

Many Thanks

This depends on your exact location and what is available - check the local press and talk to your neighbours. Beware of paying out for a system that only lasts a few months!

off-topic: For mobile telephony and Internet connection you should check out MASMOVIL.ES. Its a spanish-nordic mobile company with good offers (way better that Telefonica and Vodafone) both for calls and for surfing online on your laptop (with a USB modem).

Hi

I used to get all the programmes available on Sky here using a 1.2 meter dish.  However, BBC, ITV, 4 and 5 channels have all been moved to a new satellite.  This comes to 30 programmes.  I don't watch a lot of them much at all but you never know when an interesting programme will come on.

Depending where you will be living you may be able to get both the satellites with a much larger dish about 2.4 meters but be sure to get it checked out before you pay any money, as fifty kilometres away from good reception can make a difference.  I now have an IPTV box connected to my internet router and TV and it is pretty good.  It is HD and only once has the picture picselated but it could have been a connection problem as my internet is wireless.  Another warning.  If you have a IPTV box installed, check that all the channels are available before paying and signing a contract.  I have one missing which I am still trying to add manually but cant yet find the ULR address.  The guy I bought it from including a years support fee is not helpful at all. 

Good luck

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you end up where there are lots of Brits then there will be stacks of people dead keen to sell you some way to pick up British telly from dish to rebroadcast systems to Internet solutions such as hiring a dodgy IP address to trick the broadcasters into letting you use things like iPlayer. If you go to a part of Spain where there are no Brits none of the local suppliers will be aware of Brit TV and then you will have to do a bit of Internet homework if you want to use a dish solution but the Internet solutions will be just as simple.

It also depends whether you want British TV or English language TV because if it's the second then don't bother doing anything special. Spanish broadcast TV is loaded with English language series and films (mostly, though not all, US) and that has the advantage of being free and completely legal.