Thinking of moving to New Caledonia

Hi everyone. I am an American living and working in France, and I got a sort of tentative job offer in Noumea. My wife and I are considering it, but have a few questions that would be best answered by someone who has lived there awhile. What are the good neighborhoods, and are there neighborhoods to avoid? What about living in the country? We have read that its just not safe. Same with schools, we have a 13 year old son. What about the French social programs? Social security? The offer is good, but not instant millionaire good. The job would be in the Magenta area of Noumea, and she wants to go to Le Mont Dore area. How long is that commute? What about health care? Is it good? Bad? I guess I am looking for an overview of life there. Any help is greatly appreciated.Thank you. And seriously, is 3000 euros a month even possible for a family of 3 to live on there? Thanks again.

Hi chrismcdiddy,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you get replies to your queries very soon.

ps: you may wish to have a look at the francophone Nouméa forum as well, to find some informations.

I wish you good luck
Christine

hi im mauritian an i live in new-caledonia. So you should avoid those neighborhoods i.e Vallée du Tir, Magenta cause there's always a lot of problem there. In nouméa rent is very expensive but you can sometime get some good offers. By the way everything is expensive if you don't get a pay about 250000 XPF then theirs no meaning in coming here cause you'll strugle. No problem with health care as you have the CAFAT sort of an insurance that your company pay and then all medical fees are refund after payment. Sorry not all but about 70%. and sorry to say that but MONT-DORE S..S . theirs a tribe which always throw stone at cars and they dont like white people. It may seem a little bit harsh but thats how it is. My point of view is that if you can get a house in areas like baie des citrons, anse vata, nouméa centre-ville,robinson, tuban and a minimum pay of 250000XPF then you should really come otherwise it's not worth the case. Hope it helped you.

Chris,

I was born in New Caledonia and lived in the States for 16 years.  I just moved back.  I find that New Caledonia is much more safe than a lot of places in the US.   As far as public schools are concerned, I wouldn't trust public schools in the US to educate kids but I would easily trust schools here.

There are neighborhoods to avoid but it's like that in all cities.  Like Max said, it all depends on your combined familial salary and costs.  Know that Noumea is on par with places like Chicago and New York in regards to cost of living.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to send me a private message here.

hello and welcome to expat-blog

well i think that Noumea s much more safe than many countries in the world , its a peacefull place to live IN, but life is lil expensive , more expensive than europe so you have to to negotiate salary , the 3000€ are not enough for a familly with kids
good luck

Cordialy

Maya

HI , I am a Mauritian living in New Zealand . I am about to come in March to take up employment in Ducos.  Please help me with website or people you know who I can contact for flatmating or in families there in Noumea.

Je suis un Mauricien vivant en Nouvelle Zelande. Je prendrai de l'emploi au mois de Mars (mi-mars) a Ducos.  Pouvez-vous m'aider a trouver une famille ou des personnnes qui seront interesse en colocation sur la region .

Merci
Pascal

Hi Pascal, could you please start a new thread on Nouméa forum for better visibility?;)

Thanks,
Harmonie.

The first is to speak french !!!! :)