Interested in moving to Ecuador before retirement!

Hi Everyone,

I just want to introduce myself as I'm new to the forum, and ask a few questions.  First, Ecuador sounds like quite an adventure and we would definitely come visit for awhile before deciding to move.    From all the pictures and videos it appears to be quite beautiful and the weather has to be better than 95 degrees in summer and 0 or below in winter!  My husband and I live in St. Louis and will not be eligible for SS for another 7 years. I would like to retire before being eligible for SS, so if we want to move to Ecuador now we would need to find some kind of business that would provide us income to live on.  Is that an option, or pie in the sky?  I am looking at Cuenca and the surrounding area, but would be open to other areas if that is where we could make a living. Also, we would be living out our "senior years" here if we came, and I would like to know more about health care and if pre-existing conditions matter.  My husband loves to play golf, but really has no other "hobbies".  I am a potter, and haven't been able to find out if I can get materials (clay, glazes,etc.) in Ecuador or not.  I have probably a million other questions, but these will do for now.  Thank you to anyone out there who can help me answer my questions!

Hi ladypacman and welcome to Expat.com!

I see that you have millions of questions in your head!;)

I hope that other members will soon give you some ideas, and share their experiences with you.

PS: I may suggest you this article: Move to Ecuador- Retire In Ecuador.

This may be useful to you.

Good luck,
Harmonie.:)

Thank you for the welcome and the suggested reading. (I read it and may contact him for more information!)  Looking forward to hearing from others who have "been there done that".

ladypacman

Hi LadyPacman,
  I have thought about leaving the USA as well,i'm 56 y.o and have 9 yrs til age 65,,so I can relate..my concern is if I wait til SS, will the economy be the same in the other countries,,Costa Rica/Panama I think have already raised $$ due to the influx of expats. I have been do my own research and have narrowed it down to either Mexico or Equador...I am single female and my youngest might move with me but not set in stone...please any info or we can kick around ideas would be helpful..I'm orginally from Long Island, NY but live in Macon,Ga now.

seapony- Donna

Hi, i am renting 4 beautiful apartments in Puerto Lopez 10 meters from the beach, around $250 montly for pics [email protected]

OK, you'll get many answers, some accurate some with agendas. One thing to start with is this. Getting work is tough and if you do get something remember unless you'll a highly skilled something you'll find Ecuador's minimum monthly wage is in the $250 dollar range. For that princely sum you'll be competing with not only Ecuadorians but other ex pats, Peruvians, Colombians and others seeking employment.
I saw the comments from a gal with the 4 room apartment at one of the beach areas for $250 dollars monthly. Most apartments are furnished. She did not say what she or her husband did for work?
I thik you'l end up i  Quito or Cuenca which has a larger potential for work but the wage picture remains the same and the apartments are not going to be $250 unless you can live in one of those. Expect to pay more in the $5-750 range furnished with all utilities. You may get lucky and find something for less but it'll be tough.
Others will add to these comments but without a good income stream you're gonna be up against it.If you're a strong bi linguist your chances improve by a factor of better opportunities.
Good luck