International Driving License

Can I initially buy a car on an international driving license issued from PAKISTAN and then apply for my Bahraini license and sit the tests. My question is can I purchase a car on an international driving permit initially while I go through the process of getting my Bahraini license or is that not possible at all.

Will appreciate if anyone knows the right answer to that.... people do drive on international driving permits so guess it shud be possible but then again i have heard different stories about Bahrain license and driving there

thankyou guys in advance

Their are 5 to 6 countries whose license are not valid in Bahrain and few of them are India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal ....licence from above countries is not acceptable so in any form u cannot use the license to drive but u can buy Car and that should not be a problem

well i have cousins in Bahrain and they have rented cars on international driving permits issued from pakistan from avis rent a car and it got accepted...
Local pakistan license is not accepted but he said the purpose of international driving license is so you can drive in a foreign land.... he got it on rent from avis so i was assuming if avis which is very reputable rented it must've been ok... but still thanks a lot for the info erosisboy... appreciate it

Hi Rizoo,

It's correct, the international driving license (IDL) will allow you to drive here and rent a car. If you are a resident, you are supposed to convert your national driving license into a Bahraini one. That's what Erosisboy is talking about. For some countries, you have to pass an examination to assert your ability to drive, they won't just convert your license like that.
Of course, you could just rely on the IDL... But in case you're caught in an accident, it might lead to insurance problems, and put you in trouble with the police.
My advice is "stay out of trouble and go by the book" as far as all paperwork is concerned.
Imagine, you enjoy your life in Bahrain and just because someone bangs your car at a traffic light, you end up deported losing all what your hard work brought you... That for sure would be a shame !

Yours

Olivier

I will be arriving in bahrain in next few weeks, i got US drivers license, but also got IDL from here, can I rent temporarily on IDL until I get my residence permit and apply for DL for Bahrain?  I just dont want to be without car stranded in the hotel, whne we need to do apartment hunting and trying to know the area. 

Do you know if the rental cars cover the insurances, once you rent a car.  I would like to rent for first two weeks and then lease it for few months.  It would be expensive to use a cab to move around in bahrain even to go to work and back from work