Cars?

Are cars expensive to buy in Iceland?

Is it cheaper to buy in the UK and then ship it over?

you'll have a bit of a steering wheel problem since Iceland drives like the rest of Europe. I don't think I've ever seen anyone driving a UK-configured car here, although Iceland did drive on the other side of the road until the middle of the 20th century.

I'm not sure how much it costs to ship a car, nor how much the import fees would be, but you should be able to call either samskip or eimskip to get more information. They're the main (possibly still only?) shipping companies that serve Europe.

for further info on car costs in Iceland, check the cars and transportation category in this forum. There are links there to used car sale sites and so forth.

Cars are expensive, but only to the degree that pretty much everything is expensive here. Cars aren't *especially* expensive compared to anything else, as far as I can tell.

Here is a Ford dealer here in Reykjavík where you can see prices on current used and new vehicles.

http://notadir.brimborg.is/Notadir-Bilar-a-skra

Like essentially every web site in the country, it's only in Icelandic, but you can basically figure it out I think. Like most places, expect to pay a bit less than the sticker price.