Moving to Brussels - Apartment/Area Advice

Hi Everyone,

I am very excited to be moving to Brussels from the U.S. in August for 6 months. I have only been to Brussels for a week before so I am not very familiar with the area.

Are there certain areas I should avoid when searching for an apartment?

I will be working at the address below and would like to live somewhere where I would have access to public transportation and wouldn't need a car.

Avenue Arnaud Fraiteur 15/-23
1050 Ixelles, Belgium

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Can't wait to get there and possibly meet some of you!

Chris Griffith

Hi !

Ixelles is a really good area to live. Not too much expensive, with a great atmosphere and a lot of bars (because that's the most important :p ). Moreover, it's pretty easy to go in the center and pretty close of it.
You also have Etterbeek, more expensive.

For transport, don't worry, the city is really small and there's a lot of type of transport :  tram, bus, trains, subway

I live in Ixelles, and it's a great area for the most part. Wish I could moved closer towards Place Luxe to be honest though.

Etterbeek, Ixelles, Uccle are great places to live in and always something interesting to do. This is also depends on how much you work as well.

I like Schuman, but it's dead on the weekends.

the website appartager and immoweb, as well as these and other expat classifieds are great places to looking for somewhere to live. I would suggest Apartager, since you will only be here for 6 months. Are you on in an internship through AIESEC?

Ixelles is in general MORE expensive than Etterbeek but you really shouldn't generalise. Just get a public transport map and use it in conjunction with Immoweb's website or Apartager.

There are a few less expensive serviced apartment agencies, such as
homeinbrussels.be
where you can get a serviced studio for 1000 euro a month, or a bit less with negotiation.

Thanks everyone!

Mayo5 wrote:

Are you on in an internship through AIESEC?

No, I'm not sure what that is. I will be in Brussels for a temporary work assignment.

Well, regarding what I saw on internet, except Place du Chatelain, Etterbeek was more expensive, especially when you're close to Montgomery.
Anyway, Uccle is really comfortable and more "green" whith a lot of parks and trees in the streets, you can find little bars during the weekend, and you can also get calm night if you want to sleep.

But if you're looking for a place with a lot of students and a great atmosphere, have a look around Trinité, it's a really nice place.