Arrived on Monday, hi to all

Hi all,

i am a german paramedic who arrived on monday in Riyadh looking forward working in EMS.

I really soaked up your forum/blog before i came here to get as much information as possible. Before my flight started in Frankfurt i saw alot of Saudi people in the wating zone and there was this feeling "is this really the right thing you are doing?" but during my flight i got in contact with a young saudi and we had a nice friendly talk all over the flight and all my fears were gone.

I have never been welcomed in such a friendly way. Everyone was really really really friendly up to now.

The last 3 days were full of totally new experiences. To Germany/Switzerland its an different world. But i enjoy here every day.

Just want to say hello.

Have a nice day

Sven

Welcome to the forum, welcome to Riyadh and welcome to a new experience!

You have a good time mate!

Hi Svenmedic,

The fear of the unknown can often be worse that the reality.  I am glad you were able to interact with a local Saudi who put your mind at rest.

So have you made a long term move to Saudi and where have you managed to get accomodation?

I am here temporarily, for only 3 months, but things may change and I would be happy to stay longer.  It did take me a little while to get in tune with the local culture but now I feel much more relaxed and I'm stating to pick up more and more Arabic phrases (I woud love to be able to converse only in Arabic but that is a long way off!).  I don't live on a compound and think that suits me better as the appartments feel more like part of the local community rather than some compounds, which felt to me like a foreign country within a foreign country!

I hope you enjoy your stay and good luck. :)

Andy

@ RedGoblin: thanks alot, yeah i will have a good time

@ GinSkipper:

I want to stay at minimum one year and the first 3 months i will/have to stay at a hotel. After that maybe i will move to a company compound.

Speaking Arabic would be great but at the moment i just know some words of daily use. The last two days i had kabsa twice with local co-workers and it was ......... new...........different.............challenging for my rusted european bones but i liked it. It is a communicative way of eating together.

Sven

hey Sven
hope you have great time in Saudi :)

welcome to the community and to the kingdom....hope you gain new friends here...cheers

Sven

Welcome to Riyadh and the Forum!  One of our bloggers, another EMS, Shultz,  just left after his year tour.  You have a great crew to work with and will certainly have an exciting time here in the country.  Best of luck to you! 

Warm regards,

Hi svenmedic!  I will be arriving soon from the USA.  I have a new position at King Saud Univerity to teach Paramedicine!  I am wanting to "tag along" with some current Medics after I arrive and before I begin teaching in September.  I will keep in touch if that is OK?

Also...I too am a bit apprehensive about my move... and very excited.  I wish you great luck and, God willing, will meet up with you someday!>>

Hi Michael,

thats no problem. I appreciate meeting you in Riyadh but i think i am the wrong contact person in talking about facts about EMS here because i am totaly new to Saudi Arabia. Maybe you should get in contact with officials from the SRCA for detailed informations. If you want informations about the german or swiss EMS maybe i can help you.

A thing that i can say after 1,5 weeks. You dont have to be apprehensive because everyone i meet here was totaly hospitable. And every day here is really exciting because you will learn and see alot of new things.

So relieve pressure, everything will become fine.

C U in Riyadh

Sven

Thanks Sven.  My wife is German and I have visited ambulance services in Europe and around before.  Have never been to Mideast though.  Thanks for the info and the encouragement!  I really like to experience new cultures and sites and believe that the KSA will be very interesting.
Cheers, Michael

Small world! I am in the final stages of coming to Saudi to work at Al Ghad International College's B.S. Paramedic Program... I was contracted through the SRCA last year but decide not to go in favor of getting married. We all should definitely get together at some point.

Quick question (I am also starting another thread on this) My wife wants to come with me this August when I arrive, but needs to complete a few courses so she can apply to medical school / PA school over the next couple of years. DO you know if King Saud accepts female expat students? She needs to take Organic, Micro biology and Human Anatomy and physio.

I will be glad to help as much as I can when I get there.  My wife will not be arriving until Nov. or so.  I will check at the University and give you a call as soon asn I can.  I may not be arriving until next week but am happy to help especially since I have been helped by so many others.>>