Importing car to Saudi from UAE

Im sure this has been asked before but i will ask again. I am looking to bring a car from the UAE to Saudi. I have a residents Visa ans Saudi licience.

Qustion # 1 i have heard that the car can be no older than 5 years is that true.

Question # 2 The car i wish to bring will be a Chev pick up  ( Avalanche) , can a expat own a pick up in Saudi i know it is hard to get a permit for one in UAE, but it can be done if you ask the correct people.

Regards

John

Hi John! :)

I hope that other members will help you soon.

Harmonie. :)

1st, yes, it has to be newer than 5 years.
and officially only Saudi's are allowed to bring a car in. so if you wish to bring it in, you have to put the title under his name before entry. when you bring it here, only he can retrieve it from the customs and then get it registered under his name. so officially the car will be his.
2nd, no, non saudi's can not own a commercial vehicle (ones with a blue license place, so anything from commercial vans, to pickups). but since this truck will be under the saudi's name, you can drive it. youll just have to get police letter issued to your name which will allow you to drive it around. that letter is essential for you to have if you wanna take it across to bahrain.

well looks like i will not bring a car here . I feel no need to buy a car and put it in somebodies name that i do not know i can trust.

thanks for the info

just saw this thread and saw someone post about only saudi's can bring a car into the country.  So I can't import a car from america to saudi?

i have to ask why would you import a car from the US when the cars here are cheap as chips and are only going to be ruined by sun , sand and bad drivers running into you at malls and everywhere else. A frien was knoced from his Harley by a saudi and guess what is was a lady driver , not allowed to drive in this country but it was still my friends fault. he was parked in a car park on the foot path when she hit him:/

An expat can bring a car into the country under his name but then he wont be able to sell the car for the next three years, coz there will be a system block on the car registration which will be removed automatically after three years.. simple way is bring car under your saudi sponsor name and shift it immediately on your name there will be no block hen...

Hello, just saw the thread and don't find any reason for anyone to import a car to KSA. You can find any car you name over here and they are quite cheap.

Bringing a car is a hassle and i have seen people suffer for that.