Visa for Americans for longer than 3 months

Would love to hear about Americans' experiences getting Visas for stays longer than 3 months.  We would be essentially tourists...we would be working remotely (American companies, but we work via email and phone), so we can show income/assets sufficient and that we won't be working while there (also have health insurance coverage).  From what I have gathered, third parties can't help w/Spanish Visas so we have to do it all ourselves.  How hard is it?  Any suggestions, etc?

I think one quick and dirty way would be to get out of the Schengen zone and come back. For example, fly to UK get exit stamp and when you arrive back in Spain you'll get another entry stamp allowing another 3 months.

I hope you're aware that rainbow007's "solution" isn't technically according to the Schengen rules unless you stay for 3 months in the UK.

I do know people who got away with this kind of rule bending, but I also know others who didn't and got into trouble.

ECS, as I said it's a "quick and dirty solution" however, I'm curious to hear what kind of trouble people got into by doing this...so I can stop doing that :)

oh well, my company is requesting work visa for myself here so I'll stop with that anyway.