How much money do we need to get 2 Retirement Visas?

We would like to move to CM in 2012. 

How much money we have to deposit to the Thai's bank in order to get retirement visa for a couple (2 persons)?  Could we use our IRA or 401K accounts as the resouces?  Please advise.  Many thanks.

In order to RENEW your retirement visa:

800,000 baht in a Thai bank account - per person.

~~~
Since your IRA and 401k is not in a Thai bank, the answer is NO it does not count.

An alternate method in lieu of 800k, is to have an income of 65,000 baht per month.

Again, this is per person.

Seattle99 what you say is true unless the two people are married.  If married then only one person needs the bank account or monthly income to obtain or extend stay based on retirement.  The spouse gets free financial ride as dependent.

Translation of Police Order

Case
2.20 In the case of a family
member of an alien who has been permitted temporary
stay under clauses 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6,2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13,2.4, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17,
2.21, 2.22,2.26,6.29 of this Order (applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of
his/her spouse):
Permission will be
granted for a period of
not more than 1 year at a time.

Basis
(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);
(2) Proof of family relationship;
(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de
jure (legitimate) and de facto; or
(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or
(5) In the case of a parent, the said person shall be 50 years of age or over.

The person with bank account or monthly income would fall under case 2.22 (retirement) and spouse under case 2.20

I stand corrected

thank you

Hello Seattle99 and Straydog,

Thanks so much both of you for taking your time to advise me.

With your very informative advice that only one spouse needs to deposit 80K THB in the bank, we think we will be able to move to CM.

We're living in Orange county, California.  My Husband (a Mechanical Engineer) was laid off more than a year ago.  It's very hard to live in CA with only one income (I am working part-time as an Accountant).  We decide to retire early, to move/enjoy our early retirement in CM.  From what we read and learn, we love CM. But because my Husband has asthma, I'm worry about the air polution.  Is it very bad?

We're vegetarians and having a very simple lifestyle.  Can we survive with about 30K THB/mo. that includes rent, medical/dental insurance, food and transportation, misc. expenses? Please advise.

Many thanks to each of you.

Take care and have a nice weekend.

Hopefully, it's a typo, but you need 800k, and not 80k.

I'm single, I have a nice place, full medical (no dental), and I spend 35-40k per month. I don't think I could, or would want to do it for less.

The alternartive to 800,000 baht, CASH, in a Thai bank, is 65,000 baht monthly income.

~
A third option is some sort of combination of baht in the bank, AND income.

I don't know how they 'figure the number'; and I don't know anyone who has gone this route.

The US Embassy (consulate) will issue you a form letter verifying your income to be at least 800,000 baht a year (800000 Thai baht = 26818.6400 US dollars).  This will suffice.  IF you do not have this income, you probably can't afford to live there comfortably.  Asthma, if a problem, you might want to look at Pai, rather than CMAI. Also cheaper in Pai.

There are a lot of problems in CM. And if we talk about them on the site, they will block us, so we can't really tell you the truth.

Your basic problem will be that you will get ripped off a LOT. It will cost u a sizeable amount to learn how much you are supposed to pay and how to deal with the shysters (which is most people).  Foreigners who are broke are quite often the worst of shysters.  Thai's and assorted variations of Thai's are awful.  It will be a whole new world.  This said, I much prefer Thailand to the USA.  But, I have been there for over 30 years, so I know the ins and outs.

I STRONGLY suggest you check the 'Chiang Mai Expats Club newsletter (July 2011 - Page 12) because according to this 'Visa expert(??)' this loophole from the U.S./Australian/and I believe Canadian embassies (counsulates)is going to be CLOSED!

http://www.chiangmaisos.com/wp-content/ … sue-65.pdf

Well, so what are the going to ask?  Ask us to show our incomes from our pensions?  This is getting to be complex.  When is this planned to occur?  I am currently in the USA, but plan to be going back in a couple months.  What about other countries? have any feed back on Laos?  how long can we stay there? how easy to renew visas?

I don't believe this has taken affect, yet; and in fact, in might(?) never happen.

One skeptical theory, is that it's simply a ploy for the visa service companies to drum up business.

Simply, don't know.

~~~
One thing I do know, is I personally would think hard and fast about retiring to Thailand, without having either 1) sufficient funds to have 800k in a Thai bank EVERY YEAR, or, 2) PROOF of 65k income per month, EVERY YEAR.

Well, I actually do have the income, in the USA retirement income.  But, as the dollar is going down, I worry.

I had a woman I loved, and have lost her, so now when i am in thailand, everything feels "dead and dreary."

Loving her was my direction and purpose, now I feel like I am blown in the wind.

I am trying to decide what I should do now.  I am in the USA now, but I really hate it here during these times.

Hello Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for the info.

My Husband and I will seriously take your advice/information in our consideration.

We'll also check on Pai.  Thanks Cecco.  We wish you best wishes and good luck when returning to CM.

Thanks Seattle99 for the web of the CM Expats newsletter.  It's very helpful.

Have a nice Sunday!

Namaste,

Since your husband has asthma, I suggest you check out this blog
about Pai.

'We got a few hours of rain which was really nice because the temperature keeps rising. Unfortunately the smoke from the burning fields in Lao and here in Thailand is a lot worse here than in Chiang Mai.

I couldn't see the landscape at all. I knew there were mountains around but could only see smoke smoke and smoke'.

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-en … z1TfHVeycZ

~
smokey season: mid-February to mid-late April throughout Northern Thailand, INCLUDING Chiang Mai.

Another thing you should consider is health care (hospitals); VERY GOOD in Chiang Mai, not so good in Pai.

Tina you asked if 30k baht a month is enough to live and I say no. You will find people that say no problem and I am sure it can be done but you may not like the lifestyle.

In your situation and if you really want to make the move then look at becoming English teachers to supplement your income while living in Thailand.  It would improve your lifestyle and give you something to do during the day because 30k is not much with inflation a fact of life as the country continues to develop in coming years.

I am not sure which type of climate is best for asthma but Chiang Mai with its burning of fields and the pollen during flower season would not be a good match. I would think a coastal town with fresh sea air would be best but not sure if higher humidity will be a good thing either.

Coastal towns are nice, but much more expensive, a lot more visible crime and moslem problems, inclusive of beheadings.

Comments are true about Pai, also Pai has had years, after China closed the mekong off, when water was scarce.

Positive, when they are not field burning (alternate years), the air is extremely clear and clean, housing is 1/3 of Chiang Mai.

Hospital is "okay" but definitely not the standard of Chiang Mai (If you are accustomed to America's health care, you'd probably be OK in Pai). But once you get spoiled by Asian health care, you'll never ever want to remember the atrocious medical care you receive in the USA.

Pai you can walk around.

Chiang mai, you must get to areas to walk.

Chiang Mai has lots of events.

Pai has lots of events (free).

Pai has some great restaurants, CM has more.

CMai has a lot of liberals.

[Moderated]

Pai is 1/2 Lisu. [Moderated]

Cmai has traffic.

Pai has no traffic except Thai Holidays.

If flights are operating, CM-Pai is about 1900 baht, and mini-bus is 3.5 hours at 150 baht on AYA.

Pai offers solitude and nature.

Chiang Mai you can close your door and hope for solitude.

CM and Pai both have terrifically well located and excellent airports, so that's awash.

Pai has the best red chili's in Asia.

I would like to post photos of the hill tribe and mtn tribe cash crops and networking operation on this web site, but I am deathly afraid, so I won't do what i wish, but they are very prevalent. And, while we wouldn't live long if we posted the photos, please be assured they exist, and are in plain view, if you know where to peek. Consider this when you decide where to live.

Thailand will be very expensive for you during the initiation period. My basic rule is that once you hear the word "farang," walk away. Once you meet a Thai who speaks English well, walk away. Realize the police are NOT your friends. Realize that you think as independent human beings. Thai's see no need to think independently, and do not bother themself trying to investigate the phenomenon of independent thought. Thai women are always ruled by their mothers. So, if you speak to one, either her mother is talking to you, or her mother is going find out what you were told and change everything. Do not trust travel agents, most, if not all, hate farang (fruit to be peeled). never take tuk tuks, as they are there to rip you off. If in Chiang Mai, the price is 15 and 20 baht. No more, no less, for the red ones. yellow ones are 5 and 10. This being said, you will see Thai's get out and pay whatever they want to pay and walk away and ignore the yelling driver. The best concept of transport is to buy a motorbike and bring with you a decent helmet or two. Wear full face and gloves. Even if you are able to ride, there are a lot of idiots, people talking on cell fones (a LOT of people talk on cell fones whilst riding motorbikes), drunks and druggards. During Songkran, a LOT of people get hospitalized. Best to have a plan as to your intentions re: songkran. Wear helmets if you are on a bike, and don't ride together, too much responsibility to take for the other person. If you get into an accident with a Thai, it's your fault for being in the country. Remember police get paid, if u don't know how to pay them, u don't know how to get help. smile Foreigners, in the Thai mind, are in the country to pay too much. To them, you have no other purpose, to you, you are there to live better off of less. You will always be at war over this concept. Never invite a thai to dinner, coffee, or ice cream. They will not be alone, and they may invite entire villages.  They don't care how much of your money they spend, they just want to spend a lot of it. They will never reciprocate, not in 34 years! Count them, 34 years.

Regarding Budget:  you can get a nice house in Pai for 5,000 baht a month. 

Chiang Mai 10-15,000.

you can rent a nice hotel room at the Park hotel including breakfast buffet, utilities, internet and TV, daily maid service for 21,000 a month.

If you use songtels (rodangs - red taxi's) you will pay 15 (after u learn to speak Thai), or 20 baht to go where you want to go, unless u r cheated.  so, your transport for each person is 40 baht each direction, multiplied by 2 because of return, that is 80 baht.  $3.00 usd a day minimum in CM.

Food.  How much do you eat? A thai with a Bachelor Degree working on contract in a hotel earns 7000 baht a month in CM, 30 days work, 10-13 hours per day.  They live on about 30-50 baht a day for food.  If you eat like them, your budget is $2.00 a day per person, $4.00 for two.  That is about 120 a month.

So, 500 usd rent + 120 food + 90 usd for transport.   = 710 usd a month x 30 = 22,000 baht a month.  Internet is about 1600, TV about 1200 and utilities in house are cheaper than serviced apt or the like, so depending on what you rent, house or apt, will vary between 500 baht and 5000 baht a month for utilities.  This is brings you to your budget of 30,000 baht a month.  This does not include eating well, movies, shopping, sightseeing etc.

In most of Thailand, you can pay Thai admission prices if you have a Thai drivers license.  I recommend you obtain one early on, one for each of you.

If you want to see the real Thailand, it's dangerous.  But very beautiful. So, you must think before making this decision.

Yes, you can live on 700-750 a month, easily.   But, if you want to eat good food:

a. Empress Hotel discount card is now 350 a month, i believe.  The buffet lunch is excellent at 200 baht per person.

b.  American food, The Duke's Riverside (not night bizarre) is excellent.  Night Bizzarre is not as good and is 20 % more expensive.  Riverside .. you can have a good meal for 200 baht each, but after you start to fit in, you may be more prone to 600 for two people. Christmas dinner here at 1200 baht is one of the best meals in the world, and I highly recommend this experience.

c.  Buffet dinner .. Saichon Buffet Mr. Thanachart Saichon
Saichon Buffet
2/1 Mahidol Road
Chiang Mai, 
Thailand

083-023-0579

This is one of the best dinner buffets anywhere.  Totally impressive.  The owner is also my friend.   Cost is 140 thb.

If you want to begin with the Park hotel deal at 21,000 thb a month, I believe this is the best way to be safe and get your bearings.  What you want to do is buy the gold card (350 baht I believe) and then ask for the discount per month. 

Vinai Junsiri (Manager)
Park Hotel
(66-53) 279 948
444 Chang Klan Road
Chiang Mai,  50100
Thailand

Stay away from the hill tribes and tours. do not go on tours.

This is the best service between PAI and CM and they go every hour (maybe not now with no tourists).  They charge 150 thb and pick u up and drop you off at your guest house.  Motorcycles in Pai can be rented by day, week, and month, and you can negotiate.  The owner's name is "AYA: aka Chang"  He is my friend, [Moderated], but he has a good business and is my fair weather friend.  His wife is "Oi." I like her a lot. She is Lisu. [Moderated]. But I like Oi. (made an exception for her).

In both Lanna and Chiang Rai (Chiang Mai province), Mae Hong Song Province (pai is MHS), and Chiang Rai province, you will be dealing a mafia in everything you do.  always remember that about thailand.  no matter what you are doing, you are dealing with mafia, so watch your back.  Many marriages create mafia alliances.

Good morning Gentlemen,

Thank you very much each of you - for giving us such supportive/informative advice/information.

The reason we think of moving to CM because we heard that CM is voted one of the 10 best places to retire (the warm weather and lower cost of living).  We're looking for a safe and nice place (in Asia) to live for a few years until we get Social Security payments and the Medicare (in USA).

Per our study and your advice, we think the most expense we have is the rent.  For food, fortunately, we're vegetarians so it probably will take a small portion of our budget.  All of our food we need/eat are fruits, vegetables, brown rice and tofu... 

We have more concern about the health care which considered are very good in CM.  Thanks Seattle99 for your comment.

When the polution gets worse (mid Feb. - mid. April), we will go to the coastal town, either in Thailand or Vietnam.  Thanks Straydog.

We agree with Cecco that the best way is to stay at the full service vacation rental house/hotel for the first few months.  We'll experience the life in Thailand/CM/Pai/Ma Hong son... before we lease a house to resettle.

Thanks Cecco, for taking your time to give us the detail info. and reference.

We do hope that with our simple lifestyle, with your kind advice  we'll be ok - within our limited budget.

We love to visit the Temples and take trips along the Mekong river to see Laos and Cambodia/Kampuchea, if we may.  This is my Husband's dream.  We hope that this dream will come true before we're getting too old  : > )

The more information we receive the better for us to prepare/decide.  Please do not hesitate to give us your comment/advice.  In fact, your wise advice, detail information, reference, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Take care and have a good day.

Namaste,

Well, firstly, Cambodia :)

I love Cambodia.  There are two areas (Sihounoukeville)  which is seedy.  The other area is kampoc, i like it there and it's not seedy.  If you want to see what i mean by "seedy" go to the former, if you want to remain ignorant and not shocked, go to kampoc.

second, in cambodia, they dispense dollars only.  shops (atms) have false keyboards and even will take out a tape and run it twice after u use it for money.  When in Cambodia, especially, be extremely detailed and keep all receipts and take a photo cam with extra memory cards, so you can document all cash withdrawals at all times. 

Third, Sun Thear Name of person Lucky Village Guest House
Lucky Village Guest House
#07, St 66, Salakenseng
Svay Dangkum,
Siem Reap, 
Cambodia 855-63-965-383

This place is a Chinese importer/exporter mansion that the family converted into a guest house.  The price should be 10 and 15 dollars a night, depending on the room you choose.  They don't speak English however.

I recommend you hire a car with a driver. 200 for both per month may very well be enough.  The cambodians have two menus, 1 in english and 1 in cambodian, prices for you are like 10x what the cambodian menu is. hiring a guide, u can trust to get u cambodian pricing on e'thing will be well worth the expense.

When you go to Angkor Tom and Angkor Wat and the various temples, you'll want day and night visits. Don't go to the cultural center in siem reap, it's a rip off, an expensive rip off.  The temples are great.  In Asia you'll be wearing sandals. Temple exploring in Cambodia, you'll want decent shoes, and lots of memory cards (photos), u also might want a miniature tripod.

Phnom Pehn, hmm.. love it and hate it both.  Martini's is a bar where foreigners go to pick up girls.  But it's not on the bar strip.  Martini's is not far from a place called 'Hong Kong" buffet where u will like to eat, also, across the street and to the left is "Hong Kong Beer Garden" where you will enjoy the show and can get a good beer if u drink beer.

Social life in Cambodia centers around beer gardens, so if you have a problem with beer gardens, it's best u get it out of your system now, because you'll enjoy cambodia a lot more if u can enjoy the beer garden environment.

As I sad, a private car and driver is best, so stay away from the tours.  The cruise on the harbor in PP is really nice.  I rented a 2 room mega nice condo for 700 usd a month, had maid and all.  U can get a lot cheaper there.

The one place you want to see for sure is Burma. I love Burma. Cash only to burma, no banking.  Go to Bagan  Aung Mingular Hotel
Aung Mingular Hotel
Infront of Shwezigon Pagoda
Bagan - Nyaung U., 
Myanmar  061-60171, 60847
for sure, absolutely for sure.  I like Mandalay too. 

This is a hotel u will love, bfst included, about 22usd for the big room.

There is a really beautiful guest house in Mandalay too, but i forgot the name.  dumb me ;(

Yangon (rangoon) i am not sure if u will like yangon or not ..

Panorama Hotel
Panorama Hotel
294-300, Pansodan St.
Kyauktada Township
Yangon, 
Myanmar

253-077

[email protected]

i recommend this hotel in yangon.  price is about 24.00 usd a night include 2 bfst.

oh, when u go to yangon, ride in the horse carriages, and forget the taxi's. they are about 7.00 usd a day and quite nice.

Regarding the trip to Laos:

1700 baht for a two day, 1 night trip.  When you get to Pai, Aya will book you to Vientienne.  Just book through Aya.They have good service and Aya (being chinese) doesn't hate tourists, he just likes only chinese (hehe).

Actually, he has a pretty nice guest house a bit out of town for 300 baht a night, aircon and e'thing.

Well, he will book you to labongprabong, u go like at 10 pm to chang kong, at chang kong u sleep a few hours or can opt for paying 1 night (which i recommend) and then take the ferry the next day across the river to Laos.  That will be a zoo (arriving in Laos).   Then the long boats are nice but a lot of white guys and gals from some countries will get plastered on the boats.  You will be able to buy pillows at the boat for about 1.00 each, buy two each. they sell them for a reason.  Then when u get to laos, lots of folk will want to change money, they are rip offs. just wait and watch, u will NO trouble exchanging money, people carry boxes of money with them.  Only thing u should know is that the US Dollar is no longer the currency of choice, so sometimes problems exist in exchanging.  In Thailand go inside the bank and do cash advances in 500 denominations. those are free, atm's are NOT free, rather expensive.  Carry Credit cards in metal cases as people scan them inside your wallet in airports as you walk.  If you have 3 months visa, u can get a bank account. if u arrive with a 3 month visa from the usa, arrive early in the morning and open a bank account as soon as u arrive, as can't be a day short.  having a thai bank account will save u many problems later.  i withdraw cash and put it in my thai bank account so i can withdraw what i need and when i need.

Once you get to Labang prabang, there are many guesthouses and the like.  from there you will go to Vientienne, spend a couple days. Coming across the border to Nong Kai, you want to spend a day or two there to see Sala Keo Kuo, you have to see this place, no excuses here.

Next, head down to Udon Thani, and stay in a nice resort called Udon Thai House (Thomas Guest House) Thomas Resort
Udon Thai House
119/10 Moo 2, Tambon Nongbua, Muang
Udon Thani,   41000
Thailand  udonthaihouse.com  a nice room is 600 baht a night.   If you would rather stay in town, stay at silver reef by the bus station:   Silver Reef B & B
Silver Reef B & B
338/8 Prajack Road, Markhang
Meung, Udon Thani ,  41000
Thailand  silverreefudon.com  (about 600 baht).  Now, you can take a train from Nong Kai to Udon, but half way is a place called Ban Nha Kha. if you like clothes and fabrics, u will want to go here. u probably can't find it though. u take a bus and tell the driver where to get u off. u get off in the middle of a road and cross the road, and look for the temple.  the clothing area is outside the main gate of the temple.  Silver Reef's owner, Tiffany, speaks just about every language on earth and knows more than the tooth ferry.  She can tell you everything.  She's a great resource.  Thomas (Udon Thai House) is also very good, he's german (likes germans more than the rest of us).  You'll eat well in Udon, but vegetarian, i don't know.  You'll also want to go to Burirum and Surin where you will stay at the "The Magestic Hotel" at the Bus Station  Surin Majestic Hotel
Surin Majestic Hotel
99 Jitbumrung Rd.
T. Naimuang A. Muang
Surin,  32000
Thailand   surinmajestichotel.com

you do this by train, 2nd class. after u finish u go to temples in burirum, elephants and stuff in surin, then off Ubon Ratchathani and stay at "Wrong Way Cafe" (300 a night)  very nice ! American owned.   Richard and Ting Ratsami Wrong Way Cafe
Wrong Way Cafe
49/4-5 Phadoeng Road
Tambon Nai Muang
Amphur Muang, , Ubon Ratchathani 34000
Thailand   wrongwayhome.com/Wrong_Way_Cafe/Wrong_Way_Cafe.htm     and when u r in Ubon, spend one night at least at "Country Club" (go on a date with each other). you'll probably have the time of your lives.

Okay, that's enough.  Hope I help.

ps. horse carriages are in bagan, not yangon... sorry

Q: How do you unsubscribe to topics?

~
Oh wait, nevermind, I found it.

Hello  Cecco,
We could not thank you enough for spending a lots of time to give us the information about Laos and Kampuchea trips.
You must travel a lot of places.  We think you would be a good tour guide   : > )
As you mentioned earlier, that the US Embassy (consulate) will issue you a form letter verifying your income to be at least 800,000 baht a year.  Please show us how to obtain this letter.  Many thanks.
We also have some questions about the Retirement Visa, please give us some advice/answers if you could.  Thanks.
1/  Should we contact the US Embassy in Thailand prior or after we arrived Thailand?
2/  How is the procedure to obtain a Retirement Visa?  Do we need to hire an agent or Travel service in Thailand to do for us?  If yes, do you know how much (estimated) the fee is? 
3/  Do you know some reliable Thai's banks that we can deposit the required $800K bahts?   Can you or someone please recommend some?  Thanks.
BTW, do Thai's banks have insurance such as FDIC as we do here in the USA?
We still need to learn a lot about the living in CM/Thailand.  Please help if you could.  Thanks.

Take care & have a nice day.

Tina Tinh

800,000 baht a year.  Please show us how to obtain this letter. 

The American Consul or Embassy (Consul in CM is easiest place to get this done) will give you a form letter. I think they charge a 100.00 usd now, they will notarize it (be sure it's notarized, they might overlook the stamp).  You will attest to your income being at least 800,000 thb a year.

We also have some questions about the Retirement Visa, please give us some advice/answers if you could.  Thanks.
1/  Should we contact the US Embassy in Thailand prior or after we arrived Thailand?

response:  no. make an appointment online before you go with the consulate in cm. (bkk is busier so just do e'thing in cmai, easier for you). 

2/  How is the procedure to obtain a Retirement Visa? 

1. bank account.
2. copy of bankbook.
3. I like bangkok bank.
4. need 3 months left on visa to get bank account, so do it upon arrival and get the 3 mth visa before u leave usa.
5.  2 copies of pport. one easy thing to do is get your visa sized photo, download the form from the internet, type out form, scan the form with your foto on the form, sign and date the form later.  that way you have lots of forms with your fotos already scanned on the paperwork.

Do we need to hire an agent or Travel service in Thailand to do for us? 

no, they are a rip off. don't pay thai's to do anything. they will always overcharge you. in fact, never pay anybody to do anything in thailand, u will be setting up a person who won't go away and will be back for more, and more and more and more.

police bribes are an exception, but everybody has to pay to keep the peace at times.  police very corrupt in thailand, but they don't beat u at traffic stops and put the video on the internet like happens in the usa

If yes, do you know how much (estimated) the fee is?
3/  Do you know some reliable Thai's banks that we can deposit the required $800K bahts?   Can you or someone please recommend some?  Thanks.

insurance: thailand ?  r u joking? ha ha. that is a funny one.

Hello Cecco,

Thank you very, very much for your detail instruction/advice and answers to my questions.

I'm sorry that I don't quitely understand some information.

1/  You said that I will attest to my income, at least 800,000 thb a year.  Do I need to show the proof of the sources (my money in the US) or I must show that I have an account at a Thai bank with the minimum of 800,000 thb?

2/  Do I need to apply a 3 month visa at the Thailand Embassy in the US?  If we going to Vietnam from USA to see our families first.  We'll stay in Vietnam for a bout 1 month.  Then from VN, we'll go to CM.  Can we apply for a 6 month (or longer) Thai's visa before we leave the US?

3/  Do you happen to have the website that we can down load the form (what is the form number?)

Regarding the Thai banking systems, if they don't have the FDIC then which bank(s) beside the Bangkok bank that we can rely on?  Please advise, if possible.  Thanks.

Thank you very much for your assistance.  Your wise advice and kindness are greatly appreciated.

Have a good day.

Tina Tinh

You do NOT need income of 800,000 baht a year.

~
What you need is:

EITHER:

800,000 baht in a Thai bank account 3-months BEFORE you renew you visa (every year).

OR:

Income of 65,000 baht per month.

U.S. citizens, currently can go to a U.S. embassy/consulate, and fill out a form, and have it notorized ($50 U.S).

~
As of TODAY, you do NOT need proof of 65,000 baht income; but EVERYTHING I read, indicates this is about to change.

Note: whether this will be proof at the embassy/consulate, or at immigration, I do not know.

Hello Seattle99,

Thanks  a lot for  your kind advice.

My husband and I feel  better now as you said that we do not need to keep our 800K bahts in the Thai's bank, just 3 mos. before we renewal our visas.  That's easier for us.  We think we can manage that.

Yes, we're US citizens.   Can we  go to the U.S. embassy/consulate in CM to have the form filled/notarized?  Do you know (approximate) how long it takes to have a retirement visa issued?  Could we apply for our retirement visas at the Thailand embassy here (in US) before we leave?  Please advise.  Thanks.
(We live in Orange County, CA., we can go to the Thailand embassy in Los Angeles which is only about 1 hour driving.)
We hope that this policy will not change.

We guess that you are from Seattle, Washington State?  My husband would like to know if you ever come back to the US?  If so, when you are back, may we telephone you to ask for your experience in CM?  Thanks.

Take care and have a nice day.

I got my visa at the Thai Consulate in L.A.

~
I followed the instructions on the Thai Consulate website:

'Non-Immigrant O-A Retirement/Long Stay Visa'

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_ … link_id=48

It was a two step process; the first day I left my passport and the rquired documntation; and the next day I picked up my passport/visa.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_ … link_id=48

totally, painless

Plese note if you go this route, you do NOT need 800k in a Thai bank.

However, you will need to provide backup you have EITHER the equivalent of 800baht; OR 65k per month income. (see website for details).

Subsequent yearly RENEWALS of your visa is when you need EITHER 800k in a Thai bank; OR, 65,000 per month income.

I do not expect to go to the U.S., any time soon.

I suggest you message me, if you think I can provide further assistance.

best of luck,
jon

Hi,
My partner and I just moved here and have just looked into this. You must have 800,000 baht in the bank. Here's a link that helped us prepare: http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html (copy this to your browser). Hope this helps!

Fayeana wrote:

Hi,
My partner and I just moved here and have just looked into this. You must have 800,000 baht in the bank. Here's a link that helped us prepare: http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html (copy this to your browser). Hope this helps!

The actual law says 800,000 in bank OR a monthly income of 65,000 a month.

Tina Thailand does have insurance on bank accounts.  Currently the coverage is unlimited but effective 11 August 2011 it drops to 50M baht.  On 11 August 2012 the coverage drops to 1M baht. Coverage is total of accounts in a particular bank name even if accounts are in different branches.

I would suggest you only use the top three banks in Thailand which are Bangkok Bank PLC., Siam Commercial Bank and Kasikorn Bank. The nice thing about Bangkok Bank is they have a New York branch and Social Security will direct deposit your entitlements.

Before you leave the US make sure you talk with your stateside bank and fill out necessary paperwork for international transfers from your accounts.

Hello Jon,
Thank you very much for your valuable information.  This is exactly what we are looking for!

We're even more happy when we read:  “Please note if you go this route, you do NOT need 800k in a Thai bank”.   This is great!  Thanks so much for this very supportive info.  : > )

Yes, we would like to contact you to learn more about the living experience in CM. 

It seems like  we'll  have many things to ask.  Which is the best way we may contact you?    Please advise.  Thanks.

We're also worried about how to find a safe and nice place to resettle in CM.  We do not need to live in the central of CM.  In fact, we would like to rent a small house in a friendly, nice and quiet neighborhood.

We're vegetarians, we would like to grow some organic vegetables for ourselves.  A small house with a little garden will be perfect!
If possible, please advise us the location in CM that fit our expectation.  Is there any website that we may take a look?  Many thanks.

Once again, thank you very, very much for your assistance.  Your time and kindness are greatly appreciated.

Take care & have a nice weekend.

Tina & Harvey

Hello Fayeana,

Thank you very much for your very current information.  It is very helpful.

Have you found a place to live yet?  A temp. place or a house?  If you are happy with your place, please let me know.  Thanks.  I may learn from you!  : > )

I bet that you're very busy with the moving.  When time is permitted, please share your moving experience. 

I would like to learn the best (savings) way and/or how to ship things to C.?  Many thanks in advance.

I wish you and yours the very best of luck on everything.  Good luck on your new journey!

Tina

Hello Straydog,

Thank you very much for your banking information.  It is very helpful.

Your information gives us - and other Expats (?) the peace of mind!  Many thanks.

It's great to know that “The nice thing about Bangkok Bank is they have a New York branch and Social Security will direct deposit your entitlements”.  It's so convenient and safer/faster!
BTW, have you known someone whom currently using this service?  I hope that this service does not cost a lot.

Yes, we'll take your wise advise, to fill out the necessary paperwork for international transfers prior our departure.  Many thanks.

Once again, thank you very much for your assistance.  Your time and thoughtfulness are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Tina & Harvey

Greetings everybody.  My wife Grace and I will be traveling to Chiang Mai very soon - for 5 days this month (February 2013) to get a first-hand feel for the area.  Having lived my life as a 40-hour/week worker, this is a bit of a stretch for me - and we're both excited at the possibility of moving to CM permanently.. who knows?  If there is anybody interested, we would love to talk with an Ex-Pat whether you have been there for years, or days.  I would love any advice and tips on how we can maximize these few days to get the broadest experience possible.  Thanks!

Just wondering TinaTinh.. Have you made the move to CM yet?

Hello Thompson,

Thanks for asking.  Unfortunately, some family event that delay our plan of moving to CM.  However, we've reschedule our trip to Oct. this year.

In the mean time, we're still learning about life in CM.  Every helful info. and/or advice are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

TinaTinh

My wife and I will be in CM for 5 days, as part of an Asia trip.  Leaving tomorrow AM for our first experience in CM.  I hope I can come up with something to share :)

We're so happy for Grace and You.  We hope that you both will enjoy and have a great time in CM.

Please share your experience after the trip.

Have a safe and nice trip.

Best regards,

Harvey & Tina

When we got our type O-A visa in August we had to show both my husband's and my retirement income statements, our social security income statements, the lease from the rental of our house in USA.  So in answer to your question, YES, they want to see proof of income.

TinaTinh wrote:

As you mentioned earlier, that the US Embassy (consulate) will issue you a form letter verifying your income to be at least 800,000 baht a year.  Please show us how to obtain this letter.  Many thanks.
2/  How is the procedure to obtain a Retirement Visa?  Do we need to hire an agent or Travel service in Thailand to do for us?  If yes, do you know how much (estimated) the fee is? 
We still need to learn a lot about the living in CM/Thailand.  Please help if you could.  Thanks.

Take care & have a nice day.

Tina Tinh

1) you can obtain a type O-A retirement visa while still in the United States.  Go to the Thai embassy website for LA.  You can download the forms you need.  I'd recommend that if your passports are more than 5 years old you renew them or get the State Department to add more pages.    There is something about a clean page in a passport that excites thai officialdom (lol).  I do know some people who have been told to renew their passports because there weren't enough blank pages.  If you are reasonably intelligent you don't need to hire anybody to get a retirement visa for you. 

You also don't get a retirement visa from the US embassy (we still haven't even been over to the consulate here in Chiang Mai to let them know we exist) you get the visa from the Thai consulate in the US or from Thai immigration here in Chiang Mai (CM)or Bangkok. 

2)  Documents you will need are a) your american passport
b) proof that you are not a criminal (your local police department can do this, it is a form they do all the time) c) proof of income - this can be either a savings passbook in a THAI bank or your social security statement, a pension fund statement of monthly income, if you are depending on rental income a copy of the rental lease of your american property.  Basically you are providing proof of income equal to 80,000 bhat a month OR 800,000 in a thai bank account.  This is an either or type of thing.  You don't need proof of income of 80,000 per month AND 800,000 in a bank account.  Just one or the other and d) the appropriate forms filled out from the Thai Embassy website.

BTW there are 3 or 4 different thai embassy websites, one in DC, one in Chicago, the one in LA.  They all have different forms, fill them all out.  That way LA can pick and choose which one they want.    Make 3 copies of EVERYTHING (including your passport).  Get all 3 copies of ALL forms notarized.  Do this anyplace but by the thai embassy in LA.  It cost us close to $100 to get the xeroxing and notary done there.  If you have any realtor friends they can usually do it for cheap.  The Thai consulate in LA is only open from 9 am to 1 p.m.  After that you get to come back another day. 

You can submit your documents in person at the Thai consulate in LA  with a prepaid return postage envelope (Flat Rate Priority envelope).  You can also mail them in and get them back (this could take weeks or months)  or you can turn in your documents, wait 24 hours and go back and pick up your Visa.  While this whole process sounds like a hassle it actually is much easier than getting the tourist visa then applying for a long stay visa, then a type O-A from Thailand. 

The reason being If you don't have the right documentation and you are in the US it isn't a big deal to get the right documentation. If you are in Thailand it can become a HUGE deal. And you are playing beat the clock with most correspondance taking 3 weeks and even express mail taking a week. 

By the way, don't expect a whole lot of helpfulness from the Thai consulate in LA.  They basically expect you to show up pretty well prepared with everything you need.  If you aren't they can and do make you pay in wait time in line, etc.. 

Once you arrive in CM you are required to report to Thai immigration within 30 days (it's out by the airport) They will stamp your passport and tell you to come back within 90 days.  If you come back before 90 days are up (say at day 69) they don't extend from your original 90 day due date, they extend from day 69 for another 90 days.  You are required to show up at immigration every 90 days.

Without a type O-A visa you can do the "Visa Run" which is every couple of months you go to a different country and they stamp your passport and your good for another period of time.  But that is getting more and more shaky and what do you do if they deny you re-entry into Thailand?  If you plan on living in Thailand do it the right way with the right visa before you even arrive. 

I've heard the story about how US embassy can give you a letter of proof of income for years.  I have never met anybody who actually got one and my question is what embassy?  The one in Thailand?  How would they know?  They would want the same documentation you would have to show if you got a type 0-A Thai retirement visa in the US. 

One of your other questions/comments pertained to health care.  The health care in Chiang Mai is spectacular.  I've been just thrilled with it so far.  I'm even happy with the veterinary care we got for diggy.  Most doctors here are american or european trained, there are even american born and trained doctors.  Unlike the US where 1/2 the people you see are graduates of some 3rd world med school.  There are quacks, but a little checking on the internet (with blogs like this) will keep you out of their grasp. 

Here's the downside.  While health care is inexpensive it is cash on the barrelhead.  Even if you have health insurance that covers you abroad you are expected to pay and then YOU deal with the insurance company.  And be prepared to have the money RIGHT NOW.  I've heard stories of people with heart attacks who didn't have the cash and were dumped back in a cab and sent back to their home/hotel to die.  The consensus is that your worst case scenario is you would need immediate access to $10,000 USD.  That is the cost of a cardiac stent/roto rooter which is your most likely emergency need (or a car wreck). 

There is international health insurance available and it is actually quite reasonable.  Thai TV, the Chiang Mai Expats club can all steer you to various health insurance companies.  NONE of them provide health care coverage in the USA should you have to return for any reason. We have coverage through my private retirement plan so it's something I haven't paid a lot of attention to.  Hopefully this answers some of your questions.  Keep posting on this thread so that it all follows in order and makes sense.