Moving to London From the US

I am a chef in Atlanta, Ga wishing to see the world. It has been recommended, London. Sounds great, and from what I hear London is an awesome place. So, I know very little about England. Just started to look up how to make it happen. Got Visa info, printed some maps, talked to some friends, but if anyone can offer some suggestions that would help. What are some reasonably priced places to live? What cell phone companies are locally used? Cheapest flights? Where are the nicer areas to work? I'm super excited to start this adventure and need some support, thanks.

Hi There.
Well I have moved to england 2 yrs ago from Italy. I can`t help you regarding where to live in London cause although I love to visit it I wouldn`t personally live there and do not have much experience within the property field in that town. The main phone companies are O2, Vodafone, Talk Talk... I use O2 cause you can purchase international plans within the Pay as you Go contract and they offer you free calls to overseas country (quite good if you come from overseas :))
I personally use Flybe to fly within Europe but I don`t know if you can use it from the US (may be good to look it up on Flybe.com). Other budget airlines used are Easyjet and Airfrance but I would definetely raccomend Flybe 100% :)
Regarding the nicer area to work in London well..the only posh/famous area I know is Oxford Street where there are loads of posh and expensive restaurants but I would probably advise to look up at the job websites first and then look up where they are on the map. I hope this helps a bit :) D.

Hi,
Sounds like you are getting under way.

As to good places to work, anything in zone 1 or 2 should have good transport links, I wouldn't suggest narrowing it down more than that though, especially the way the economy is now.

As to where to live, there are lots of nice places and each area can be quite different from another. So it is a matter of checking out the different neighbourhoods and seeing if you like the vibe. 

Not sure what to make of the comment above about Oxford street, it is just a much longer, more crowded high street (what they call the main shopping streets in England, (like the old Main Streets of America before the Malls came along) nothing really posh about it, in fact I would avoid it if you can!  Some of the more "posh" areas would be places like Mayfair, Knightsbridge or Chelsea.

Good luck on your plans!