[Urgent] Lost my national identity card!

Hi expats. I'm in a critical situation and asking for your guidance in a peculiar and very problematic situation:

I'm a Portuguese citizen that came to Spain a couple of months ago (sort of a long term vacation with my family that lives here). Meanwhile, I have made arrangements with a friend to move to the Netherlands in order to live there. We are moving this Tuesday (28-06-2011).

The problem is, I just realized I lost my Portuguese Citizenship Card! I still have however copies (both black and white and color), drivers license, even my original birth certificate (it is sort of a book). I have no means to go back to Portugal to get a new Identification (National Citizenship Card) for at least half a year!

Can I travel legally to the Netherlands? Will the Portuguese Embassy in the Netherlands help me get a new Identification Card, or is that service reserved for residents only? Will I be able to apply to a SOFI number without it?

I am lost, going nuts and I'm not sure what to do... I have never lost any type of document before, let alone one this important.

Hi,

I guess you should urgently call your embassy ?

have you got a valid passport maybe ?

Thank you for your response Julien. I have no passport, since I am a E.U. Citizen and never moved out of the European Union.

I've called today the Embassy in the Netherlands, and they gave me the number of the consulate department that takes care of such cases; got no answer today but hopefully I'll have one tomorrow morning. They said however, that I should have no problems getting a new Identification once there, despite not being a resident.

I'm hoping for the best.