International Schools in Bucharest?

Does anyone have any information on the quality of the international schools?  From the limited research I've done, it seems that my family might benefit from living in the north side of the city where there is the Scoala Americana and the Mark Twain school.
Costs aside, does anyone know which school might be best?
Thank you.

Hello megc74!

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope that other members will help you soon.

Regards,
Harmonie.

Hello smile

Check out these links ;)

Malls:

baneasashoppingcity.ro
sunplaza.ro
aficotroceni.ro
bucurestimall.com.ro
city-mall.ro
grandarena.ro
grantshopping.ro
jolieville.ro
plazaromania.ro

Private hospitals:

reginamaria.ro
medlife.ro
pulsmedica.ro
alphamed.ro
sanador.ro

Private schools/nursary/kindergarten:

inspe.ro
aisb.ro
britishschool.ro
lyfrabuc.ro
littlelondon.ro
gradinitacami.ro
kinderville.ro
dreamsworld.ro

Pubs/bars/restaurants

inyourpocket.com/romania/buc … -nightlife
bars-pubs.bucharest-guide.ro/bar … harest
deltatravel.ro/bars_pubs
bucharestpubs.com
bucharest-life.com/drink/pubs_cafes
bestplaces.ro/search/Bucharest/Pubs

Supermarkets:

carrefour.ro
selgros.ro
metro.ro
cora.ro
billa.ro

I hope these links will help you to have an idea about our country.
If you have any questions or you need more help, please let me know and i will be glad to help you :)

Best Regards,
Alexa

By the way...The American School is huge and so nice and Mark Twain school too..they are such great schools and very clean!

Hello Alexap and thank you for your contribution. :)

Regards,
Harmonie.

It's my pleasure to help! :)

Best Regards,
Alexa

thank you!

Luckily, my husband's company will be paying for the schooling so we are really hoping to choose the best fit for our children without having to worry about budget.

From the websites, it seems like Mark Twain might have a wider variety of options but if the American school is bigger, do you think that means that they have more to offer?

To be honest with you i don't really know what they offer, but what i know for sure, is that American School is much bigger and nicer than Mark Twain...http://www.aisb.ro/page.cfm?p=276#
For more information i think you should contact them.
Good Luck! :)

Thank you Alexa!  My husband's company has a division that handles relocations so we are hoping they have advice.  I feel like if I contact the school they will just say they are the best! You know? ha!
Alexa, do you know if there are private music teachers (who speak English?) My daughters take piano and I'd like to continue that.

The son of my ex boss used to take piano lessons with a great teacher who speaks English, so i'll send her an sms to ask his name and phone number and then i will send you a private message ok?

yes, thank you! I am so sad that we will be leaving our piano in the US but we would still like to continue our lessons

Starting to look at neighborhoods that are close to those schools as well as the metro.... Open to suggestions. Pipera seems nice.

Try looking around Primaverii too. It's an expensive area, but if you've got the budget it's close to the park and the metro, has quiet streets, and has easy access to the smaller shops/markets in the Dorobanti area. It's also in the north so the schools wouldn't be too far away by car.

hi guys,
i am new in the list.
could please anyone tell me what is the status or opportunity for the hotel jobs in Bucharest or related jobs to it.
i am a hotel management student.
i will really appreciate the help.
thank you.

hello meg,

check this out !

pianolessonstraian.blogspot.com/

eire

Hi,

I am looking for schools in club which have english as the medium of study ... does any one know.
Also what is the approximate per month fees for the same ...

Thanks
Mudita

Hello Mudita.

Welcome to Expat.com!

This post is dated 2011. I invite you to start a new thread on the Bucharest forum and to post your questions as well. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Top leading international schools
(on the basis of quality education and discipline):

Cambridge School
British School
American School
International School of Bucharest

Hello Alexap,
I am new on this site. It seems you've got great experience about Buchurest.
I am about to move to the city for about a year with my wife and 2 sons (6, 7).
My company is not paying for my costs so I need to do my own calculation.
I know there is a lot of acpects what can matter in a calculation like that but would you please help me what to calculate with if I would like to put the kids into an International School and have a decent Home in a nice area. My wife is a horsebackriding instructor so I assume downmtown is not an option.
Thank you in advance.
András

Sugest Baneasa ,
Soseaua Iancu Nicolae ,nearby Zoo & Riding Center.
nearby American School,there are a lot of accommodation available,
including 2 Riding horse centers.Price 18.000Euros/child/year in American School.Otherwise french Schools is also nearby US embassy now.

Dear, Dantrinca
Thank you for your kind intetntion to help me.
Do you know  you a good website for finding rental homes?
Andras

tudorestates.ro/

imobiliare.ro
anuntul.ro

Thank you!
A.

[Moderated: Please post in classifieds section]

Hi to all.
I'm moving to Bucharest April next year. But that time my daughter will have 3 years. Do you know if it is possible for her to study at kindergarten? Here in Peru kids start at 3 years.

Regards,

Kindergarten starts at age 5 in most of the international schools. Preschool is earlier (and usually paid out of pocket. companies usually only pay for children's schooling starting with kindergarten)

Meg, thanks for the input.

So, the educational system is:

Preschool from 3 to 5
Kindergarten from 5 to ?
School from ?? To ??

Regards

Hi,

Education in Romania is divided up as follows:

Gradinita (Nursery School/Kindergarten) (ages ~3-6)
Primar (Primary School) Grade 1-4 (ages 6-10)
Gimnaziu (Middle School) Grades 5-8 (ages 10-14)
Liceu (High School) Grades 9-12 (ages 14-18)

International schools generally follow this system, some of them providing the whole range (K-12), some only providing 1-8, and others only offering high school. The kindergarten offered by many of the international schools, as megc74 says, is often a preparatory year starting at age 5 and is sometimes called the '0' grade. Independent nursery schools often subdivide into three age groups.

Hi,

”clasa 0” as it is known in Romania or ”0 grade” is now mandatory for all children who have turned 6 years old by the 31st of august of that respective year, but also for those children turning 6 between september 1st and december 31st, under some special circumstances.

for children under 5 there are a number of options, private and state-owned, also it is fairly easy to home school or find qualified sitters. usually it is best to check with your embassy/consulate, they generally offer references for trustworthy sitters.

should you consider pipera as an option, take into account that  you need to plan any kind of trips/meetings in advance, as there is a lot of traffic going to/from the center.

Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie here and really interested in this topic. Currently, I'm a student studying master in ASE Bucharest, preparation year. I'm looking for a part-time job which is as an English teacher in. I have looked on the internet for some English teacher jobs in Bucharest but most of them requires some certain degrees and certificates. Meanwhile, I only have, for the time being, a degree of the University of Sunderland, UK. Now I'm continuing a master program in ASE Bucharest.

I wonder if there any chance for me to work as an English teacher (with my university degree). I really hope to gain more experiences and, of course, a small amount of money to pay for my living and studying here in Bucharest.

By the way, I come from Vietnam and I really love Bucharest and other cities of Romania. Hope you guys can help me with some ideas. Many thanks  :)

@megc74

Hi there,

My two sons attend Verita International School.  Its a British School offering the IB DP.   I am happy with the teachers and academic program.   Very important to me are the native speaking teachers for my high school boys.  The campus could be improved but they did announce a new campus in 2025.

@mikerepl Hello and welcome !

Please note that you are participating on an old thread. That members has been inactive for years now !

All the best

Bhavna