New start

Hi
I am living in Northern Ireland and work as a nurse. I have been considering a move to the US, in particular, Florida. Can someone enlighten me re.cost of living, pay, quality of life? Has anyone moved from the UK to US and would you advise it?Would you consider moving back or has it been the right move for you?

Hi,

If you are a qualified nurse, contact the Florida Nursing Board, as each state is differant. You are from a cold climate, where as Florida is humid and hot. If you like this weather then so problem, however, there are expats that move to Florida and suffer too much from the heat. The standard of living is higher than in Northern Ireland. The cost of veges and fruit is higher, yet if you go to a market then it is cheaper. Also, you can purchase a home quite cheap there, if you go for a Foreclosure home. You can buy a very nice home for a fraction of the price than back in N.Ireland. Hope this helps and best of luck.

When I was there on holiday I found it quite hot but I was hoping that with time I would get used to it

I am in Belfast at the moment and had been living in Orlando, FL.
I am returning to the US next week.
I can tell you a bit about my experience living in Orlando, FL:

Accommodation prices: can vary a lot, depends of the location in Orlando. For example,from $550/mo to $700/mo for 1 bed appartment.

Public transportation  (mainly bus): forget about it; better get a car living in Florida. A decent car will probably go for $2500-$3000,  petrol ($3 a gallon and climbing,) and insurance about $500 a year.

Food: Reasonable but not cheap food prices about $400-500/mo.(for a single person). I usually go shopping mostly in Walmart

Energy: prices (oil, electricity) > oil between $2.60 and $2.80 per gallon (3.9 l).
Electricity : you pay more in the summer, you will pay around 150 dollars or more a month.

Common bills (Internet, television, mobile phone) > Internet & telephone : $50,00 to $80,00/mo.
If yu need more information please dont hesitate to ask

Do you regret the move?would you come back to live in Belfast?

Wow, reading through these threads I didn't know it cost so much to live in Florida?  I live in Houston, Texas and the cost of living is so much lower.  Plus nusing job is abundant with pay starting $19/hr.(entry-level graduates).

Wow Florida really is expensive. I'm just faced with the exam, if I can pass it I can move over and start working.

Remember to check out the states' compatability license before you go anywhere.  Good luck with your exam.

Wow becareful before you move it isn't as easy as just getting a job here.  Remember the US is in a tight spot with jobs for it's own people before letting others in from outside.  A work visa is required look it up at the us embassy these will need a lawyer to certify it and get you going that will start at around £300 plus the visa aroun£200 if they agree to it , but at the moment they are looking at employing their own country before outsiders. HMMM after living in both Austin Houston and London and Florida theybare all relative in cost and wages . It really pends where you live London is more expensive than Birmingham parts of Florida winter park lake Mary long wood are more expensive then Sanford delbarry. You have to do your home work it took us 5 years research before we moved to anywhere and we have moved a lot good luck. We live in lake Mary our house was a short sale it took  two years living in an apartment ( 2 bed $1200 per month) before we moved in that's how long it takes sometimes to get a short sale, but we have a five bed 4 bath which was on the market for $1.1 we got it for $600,000 so there are bargains to had.
Pennie

I agree with Pennie that US perfer to hire its people before foreigners but in some job market the need is so great that you can get in really fast.  I remember there was a person I knew that came from the Philliphines.  The hospital sponsor him and paid for all his expenses.  Of course he had to sign a contract and the pay wasn't as high as someone with his experiences.  But once you get permanent you can really move around.  Check out the pay at this website  fastaff.com/home