Moving to Saigon in the Fall. To stay for 3-5 years. 100% doing it.

So my wife and I are leaving NYC. I met Anh over five years ago in Europe and we did the international romance thing. When she went back to her family in HCMC five months later I was there, asking her to marry me. At the time she wanted me to live in Vietnam, but not speaking the language I asked her to come to America and she agreed.

She moved to the USA and long story short, while she really loves her life in NYC, her company would like to open an office in HCMC. Obviously they want her to do it and she agreed. She will keep her current salary. Because of that we can live a very nice life in Vietnam and will have the money to live in a western style apartment, pop out a couple of kids and have the nanny/maid/cook my wife so craves. She doesn't like cooking and cleaning. :)

I speak zero Vietnamese, so I will need to go to school and learn. I've also got to learn how to ride a motorbike without crashing. No way am I buying a car. #1. Their 100% tax is ludicrous and #2. Have you seen the roads there! :P

Job for me? Lord only knows! I have a mostly sales and marketing background. The last few years I have worked in the independent film industry and my hope is to make a low budget film in HCMC next year. Next month I have a screening of my films in Manhattan and I'm very excited about it.

Naturally I am insanely excited to be living overseas and cannot wait to get on over there (likely leaving in October). My two one month trips were amazing and I am actually sick of NYC. Hate it here. Really.

So I will maybe see some of you around. We won't be living in District 1 or 3, as they are two expensive. Likely we'll go just over the river to where the newer high rises are for mixed couples (one spouse Vietnamese, one spouse foreign). My wife visited HCMC last month and found those areas to be quieter. Less crazed.

Any advice will be gladly accepted.

My fiance is from Nha Trang and about a year ago we went over the river in HCMC to see the section you mentioned.  I noticed an almost total lack of motorbikes in that area.  I also noticed a car dealership.  I think it was BMW.  I am just outside DC and planning to go to VN in September.  Our plans now are for me to retire in 6 years and live part of the year in Nha Trang and part in the US.
Hope you have success with independent films in VN.  I saw that a Vietnamese actress was on this site.  Don't remember her handle.  She does daytime soaps.
Good luck.

Thanks, Perry. I'll be looking for an actress with a name, but not a HUGE name, so that I can give some cred to the production. She needs to be pretty, under 30 and able to speak English without a thick accent. :)

I have pictures of some apartments my wife looked at and will try to post them here today or tomorrow.

Are you talking about the high rise in D2 near the metro? plenty of bikes around and it's getting busier and its still being developed.

I'm not sure exactly. My wife would be able to answer that I'm sure.

No worries buddy, it's that or D7 both go over the river :-) and of course both still being developed.

Matt_Stevens wrote:

So my wife and I are leaving NYC. I met Anh over five years ago in Europe and we did the international romance thing. When she went back to her family in HCMC five months later I was there, asking her to marry me. At the time she wanted me to live in Vietnam, but not speaking the language I asked her to come to America and she agreed.

She moved to the USA and long story short, while she really loves her life in NYC, her company would like to open an office in HCMC. Obviously they want her to do it and she agreed. She will keep her current salary. Because of that we can live a very nice life in Vietnam and will have the money to live in a western style apartment, pop out a couple of kids and have the nanny/maid/cook my wife so craves. She doesn't like cooking and cleaning. :)

I speak zero Vietnamese, so I will need to go to school and learn. I've also got to learn how to ride a motorbike without crashing. No way am I buying a car. #1. Their 100% tax is ludicrous and #2. Have you seen the roads there! :P

Job for me? Lord only knows! I have a mostly sales and marketing background. The last few years I have worked in the independent film industry and my hope is to make a low budget film in HCMC next year. Next month I have a screening of my films in Manhattan and I'm very excited about it.

Naturally I am insanely excited to be living overseas and cannot wait to get on over there (likely leaving in October). My two one month trips were amazing and I am actually sick of NYC. Hate it here. Really.

So I will maybe see some of you around. We won't be living in District 1 or 3, as they are two expensive. Likely we'll go just over the river to where the newer high rises are for mixed couples (one spouse Vietnamese, one spouse foreign). My wife visited HCMC last month and found those areas to be quieter. Less crazed.

Any advice will be gladly accepted.

Welcome to Vietnam,

It was your right choice. And your film would be great here.

We can help you find a maid & apartment. Please just leave us a message. We'll show you how intersting Vietnam is!

Have a good day.

Nhat

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

perry88 wrote:

My fiance is from Nha Trang and about a year ago we went over the river in HCMC to see the section you mentioned.  I noticed an almost total lack of motorbikes in that area.  I also noticed a car dealership.  I think it was BMW.  I am just outside DC and planning to go to VN in September.  Our plans now are for me to retire in 6 years and live part of the year in Nha Trang and part in the US.
Hope you have success with independent films in VN.  I saw that a Vietnamese actress was on this site.  Don't remember her handle.  She does daytime soaps.
Good luck.

how about putting me in one of your movies.I speak vietnamese,norwegiann,scandinavian,english too. :top: produces :top:

email me : [email protected]

Hi Matt,

May i join your movie. :D

A lot of potential actors here, maybe they can help finance the movie, become producers.

Hey Matt, check out Ha Huynh, Pretty, under 30,speaks english, plus real estate agent.

I have a showing of my short films in NYC July 26th at the amazing Tribeca grand. Three short films in all. Here are some clips... Just clips, not the film themselves...

vimeo.com/super8shooter/videos]VIMEO link to my clips

I'll be in Vietnam late October and at that time will start meeting people.

Good luck! I recently retired from truck driving, get things in order here then moving over, going to be doing travel photography and writing.

You'd be a shoe-in for this job Matt.

https://www.expat.com/en/classified/asi … ector.html

Welcome to Vietnam, Hope you guys will have a wonderful time and life here :)

Hi Matt Stevens

Welcome to Vietnam.
I have a friend who is a film director. He has a rather big film studio in HochiMinh city. When you come to VN I can introduce you to him if you need.

Dist. 2 & Dist.7 is suitable for you. I can help you find maid and accommodation (flat/house). Send me  your email for details.

See you
Huong

Hi Matt_Steven!

I can help you to look for a job since I got a few friends doing business in HCM city. They might need a native speaker like you that major in sales and marketing field. Anyway, if you need a friend for a coffee  and share with you what & how to do things in Vietnam, please don't hesitate to contact me. Add me on skype for getting know each other first: fallingangelvy.

Send me by email : [email protected]. Or call me 01223501393

Welcome you on board and wish you have an exciting, lucky and happy life in Ho Chi Minh city. :)