Hanging with friend

Hello,

What do people think here in Cairo if a girl and boy are seen hanging out , going to the club or to a movie, but they are just friends?  I like going out with my friend who is a girl all the time, only as friends.  But we have been noticing some people automatically thinking that since it is a boy and girl out, they must be going out.  Does everyone think that?  Give me some ideas as I still want to hang out with her, but dont want people to think we are going out (she already has a boyfriend).

William

Hello William,

It differs from Expat.s to Egyptians,For Expat.s it's seen normal and people doesn't care alot whether they are friends,siblings,couples,whatever..For Egyptians,when aboy and a girl are seen together (not with a group)..They are seen as couples,however people doesn't care as well and nothing happens.just they think of them as couples and no more..

Well guess what I am asking is, why?  Is it the religion, the culture or 1 mindedness LOL?

Hello William and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will soon advise you.

Good luck,
Harmonie.

harmonie wrote:

Hello William and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will soon advise you.

Good luck,
Harmonie.

Thank you Harmonie :)

as long as your friend and her friend have no problems with it.
Let the other people think what they want.

Geely wrote:

Well first off it is me and my friend.  Also I have no problem what people think, I know the truth and how things are, it is mainly her who has the problem what people think.

whwebsolutions wrote:
Geely wrote:

Well first off it is me and my friend.  Also I have no problem what people think, I know the truth and how things are, it is mainly her who has the problem what people think.

She sounds like a smart girl, which was raised within Egypt?

Maybe shes trying to tell you politely,That your going out alone together, "just the two of you" gives the wrong ideal to many others related to her behavior.

Its her reputation and the family's, which may suffer from the perceptions of others.Especially if or when this affects the family unit she could be dealt with severely.

Its our way here normally, to refuse for a daughter to be ever be alone with any male,as we prefer not to expose our girls to these types of risk in general.

To answer your question directly As and expat with an Egyptian daughter, its just not proper based on tradition and culture.

I hope she has a really understanding family.

Hello William

it really differs if she is Egyptian or Expat. if she is Expat so,no problem at all.but if she is Egyptian, she may be facing some problems.
but I think this culture in Egypt is going to be disappeared as it is normal now to see fiends and colleagues from both genders.

any way , we don't care for what other people think or we wont do anything in our life.what really matter, is the family and that's all for me (the people cares for me and I care for them)

Shorouk wrote:
whwebsolutions wrote:
Geely wrote:

She sounds like a smart girl, which was raised within Egypt?

Maybe shes trying to tell you politely,That your going out alone together, "just the two of you" gives the wrong ideal to many others related to her behavior.

Its her reputation and the family's, which may suffer from the perceptions of others.Especially if or when this affects the family unit she could be dealt with severely.

Its our way here normally, to refuse for a daughter to be ever be alone with any male,as we prefer not to expose our girls to these types of risk in general.

To answer your question directly As and expat with an Egyptian daughter, its just not proper based on tradition and culture.

I hope she has a really understanding family.

See I have been here for 4 1/2 years and I still dont see how having a male friend, nothing more then just friends, can hurt their rep?  Not like i am holding her hand or even touching her, we just hang out and have some coffee and chat and maybe, just maybe go see a movie we both like, nothing more.  See the daughter wants to hang out with me, she thinks of herself as American, not Egyptian, but her mom has her, what I call, "brain washed". 

she is deathly afraid of her mom and older sister and listens to their every word (except mom told her not to hang out with me or any guy AT ALL but she still does).

she is deathly afraid of her mom and older sister and listens to their every word (except mom told her not to hang out with me or any guy AT ALL but she still does).

I wonder what happens when and if they discover shes hiding and meeting with people they have forbidden her to see or met or speak with.I only hope you understand your responsibility, for anything the family undertakes as her punishment.

Better,just have some company with you both.friends of her or yours..and that's it,but yes it's true that if she is Egyptian,she can be together with a guy alone..but in one case,If he is her fiance or husband..or sometimes classmate when doing class project or something like that or colleague at work doing something for the work in cafe forexample..otherwise it is not appropriate .and I agree with it.Simply in Egypt,We know how valuable girls are,and hence we try to put them safe all the way,not kind of enforcement,but they also know that and agree with it,and if did it you'd feel like they feel guilty or something

Shorouk wrote:

I wonder what happens when and if they discover shes hiding and meeting with people they have forbidden her to see or met or speak with.I only hope you understand your responsibility, for anything the family undertakes as her punishment.

She understands what would happen, mom would yell at her, she will get depressed, tell me she cant hang with me anymore, then a day or 2 days later max she will feel sorry and start hanging out again LOL.  I am like her best friend because i am trying to help her become more independent.

InvisibleLegend wrote:

Better,just have some company with you both.friends of her or yours..and that's it,but yes it's true that if she is Egyptian,she can be together with a guy alone..but in one case,If he is her fiance or husband..or sometimes classmate when doing class project or something like that or colleague at work doing something for the work in cafe forexample..otherwise it is not appropriate .and I agree with it.Simply in Egypt,We know how valuable girls are,and hence we try to put them safe all the way,not kind of enforcement,but they also know that and agree with it,and if did it you'd feel like they feel guilty or something

Well we only meet and hang out in open places like coffee shops or clubs.  Hell I am trying to help her out with her and her BF LOL.  She knows I would never hurt her, in fact I would protect her if anyone tries to hurt her.  She has a mindset of an American, not Egyptan, so she is stuck between what her mind wants and what her mom tells her to do.

the legend told you the truth,You as a decent young man should follow his advice and only met as a group in public places.

being her best friend, you must understand its not your place to help her be independent in any sense.

her mindset which you speak of matters little, she lives here with our traditions culture and religious ways.if you continue to met with her alone you are responsible for what ever happens to her.

Inshalla, I hope you understand this point clearly and take the correct approach to meeting with the opposite sex here.

Shorouk wrote:

the legend told you the truth,You as a decent young man should follow his advice and only met as a group in public places.

her mindset which you speak of matters little, she lives here with our traditions culture and religious ways.if you continue to met with her alone you are responsible for what ever happens to her.

I like wise father's voices here :top::):):)