Moving to Mauritius! Can't wait! The land of my father!

Hello all!

I hope everyone is well, I have been reading posts on this site for a while and I am finally moving to Mauritius!

I am a British born father of two girls, currently living in London. My father is originally from Mauritius, Vacoas, my mother is from Grenada, in the Americas.

I will be living in Albion at my grandfather's house.

I am an independent vocalist/musician, I will be working with various Mauritian artists and planning to tour the Indian ocean islands and south Africa.

Coming over in August/September for two months to sort a few things out and get sorted before the move next year with the rest of the family!

Be great to meet up with a few people when I come over this year!

Let me know how you all are!
:D

Hey
I've just moved here from London and like you my family is also originally from here.

I can tell you it is a culture shock and the locals don't take well to anglo mauritians. I've yet to make any friends here and anyone I've met and have gone out with, well they have the I know better culture.

So all I will say be prepared but am sure you will enjoy the island and the weather:)

Good Luck.

Vijee

Hey Vijee!

Thanks for the reply!

I spent a few months in Mauritius last year and love it, London is driving me insane, change is coming!

My dad sad that, I suppose its because my creole is rusty to say the least! What do you think?

Whereabouts are you living in Maurice?
:D

Hey
I totally feel you, I was in the same boat and wanted to run away from the rat race and be in the sun. However the lack of friends here and not have that moral support is putting me at very low moral albeir the beautiful scenery and sunshine.

Like you I also spent holidays before moving but its completely different when you actually move here. Unlike you my creole is quite good but I was still told I was too British for uttering one or two english words in my conversation which to be honest I don't do intentionally.

I live with my Dad who is also on the Island in the north a beautiful but secluded place call creve coeur.

Well I suppose you will have your family with you so sharing such experience with them will be easier than being alone :)

Gosh! Well in terms of my daughters, it all depends, once we iron out a few issues, so who knows? I may be alone for a while!

Yeah, I did come across some natives who had that attitude.

"mo coze creole un ti p!"

I have been to Creve Coeur, beautiful...

I have quite a few friends on the island, so who knows! We may be able to make it less lonely for each other!

Let's keep in contact! I'll be over in September, might as well build a community of former Londoners! HAHA :cool:

Am all up for like minded friend:) so sure. Keep in touch and will see you in September then (that is if I've had not had enough and come back to London because am sure considering it:)

Will do! Put that return ticket on hold! Things will change! :D

Lol I actually bought a return ticket when I flew here so the option is there. Its open for a year so I can return anytime within :)

As for things changing I do pray it does soon or else I'll go mad:)

Vijee wrote:

Hey
I totally feel you, I was in the same boat and wanted to run away from the rat race and be in the sun. However the lack of friends here and not have that moral support is putting me at very low moral albeir the beautiful scenery and sunshine.

Like you I also spent holidays before moving but its completely different when you actually move here. Unlike you my creole is quite good but I was still told I was too British for uttering one or two english words in my conversation which to be honest I don't do intentionally.

I live with my Dad who is also on the Island in the north a beautiful but secluded place call creve coeur.

Well I suppose you will have your family with you so sharing such experience with them will be easier than being alone :)

Vijee, if I could press the "Like" button on your post, I would.

Like you guys, we are running away from the rat race. I was born and raised in Mauritius till the age of 9 and then came back during my early 20's for several years, and are coming back (my husband and I) in November. I know for a fact we will have a big drop with our social life. Hopefully we will meet interesting people (it will take time) and of course being away from the capitalist stressful life will compensate for it.

And of course, it's easier when you have family there...

Cheers,
Candy

Candy thank you:)

Well when you put it that way, I can't wait to have you guys here because I will feel less alien. The breed of the returning residents is quite a strange one as you will know. We don't feel we belong anywhere so at least having a small community somewhere will alleviate such feelings:)

Keep in touch Candy and looking forward to see you and your family.

Vijee xx

Vijee wrote:

Candy thank you:)

We don't feel we belong anywhere so at least having a small community somewhere will alleviate such feelings:)

Vijee xx

You couldn't have described it better!!!

See you guys in November :)

When you're considered a returning citizen, you will definitely feel the culture shock. I have to admit that people are more egoistic now than they were years back - the attitude is less of warmth and more of a cold shoulder(not to be any ruder!).

But you know what, there is a bunch of good people on the island as well. So don't worry - give us a shout when you're here and we'll roll out the red carpet for you lot!

:)

I totally agree with your post Candy, but at least I have a few more people to say hi to when I arrive!

I agree with what Alisa said in regards to the cold shoulder, but as she says their are good peole around too, just have to find them1

Well looks like I have found several interesting individuals on here, so I'm looking forward to coming over in September!

Oh and I'm looking forward to getting the red carpet rolled out! hee hee

Evian, the rusty Kreole should be no problem at all, but be prepared for some jokes at your expense.  A further word of advice, when Mauritians try teaching you new words, never blindly accept the definitions that they give ;) It really does help to get to grips with the language, especially to avoid paying the super-inflated "prix tourist".

Alisa is very right about the culture shock.  There is a lot that you will see that you will dislike, possibly hate, such as stray dogs and in some pockets of the island, hubs of poverty and deprivation.  If you can look beyond the negatives, Mauritius is a great place to live, but it is not paradise and not perfect.  Coming from the UK, sometimes it is easy to be too serious and too strict in nature because that is the way it is back home.  Mauritian culture is very different, so learn to appreciate the advantages and live with the disadvantages.  If you can appreciate it for what it is and live it, and refrain from trying to change it to something more British, then you'll be just fine.

Enjoy!

Hey Stephenn!

Thanks for the message, in regards as being British, I don't think I am recognised as even being Britsh by the "native" Brits, regardless of being born in London! HAHA! So I should fit right in, the stray dogs and I got on a lot, in fact we got on so well that Londoners would be jealous of our relaionship! Londoners don't talk or interact, so no problems there then! :)

I think the hardest thing will be missing the great British weather..
Not too mention the ridculous amount of homeless people in London, especially where I live..

All jokes/realities aside, I am looking forward to it and I know there will tiough times, but it will all work out for the best, we only have one life. Be great to meet up with you when I arrive in September for two months.:)

Hi stephenn, I believe there is no place that can be called paradise and every place has good sides and bad sides.
For example, in Israel I'm sick and tired of constantly living under the threat of war, or having to open my bag at the entrance of every place because of security threats. And of course there's the "fast track" way of living, always chasing something, which is typical I guess for "Americanized" (yes I know there's no such word) or capitalist countries. And yet, it's a beautiful country, with warm people (there are many more advantages I could point out). I guess it's all a question of priority. What is more important to you for your quality of life.

I remember the stray dogs problem very well. It can be quite scary. I remember as a small girl I was even bitten once. I also remember well the huge difference between different class levels. YOu can clearly see VERY rich people and VERY poor ones. My father's house is bordering a "citee", where you can clearly see the poverty and misery they live in.

And yet, all things considered, I believe the advantages tops on the downsides. But again, it's all a matter of perspective and what is more important for you.

Hey Evian,

I left Mauritius when i was 16 and came back just recently now being 29 YO ... Relocation...
I know what you all mean concerning the cultural difference. What I have noticed is the lack of activities at night as most things revolves around bars and night clubs((drinks drinks drinks)). Cinema is in French except 6 Pm...
I have launched a lot of sporting activities around where I live. For eg I manage a Badminton club in Mahebourg where I live currently(will move to curepipe soon). So you have to make the effort to find things to do and what makes you happy. As you have some friends here when you arrive, you should not feel alienated at all.
There is a pub in Port Louis called "Lambic" you will find beers from the UK there and some good ol British cuisine. You should feel at home there. I work in Ebene for a British company, quite lucky as my up-line is a guy from West Ham ( as you can imagine he is not very happy about the relegation ). I took the initiative to dive right in and find things that I would miss from London. One of the things that helped me here is focus on the positives. As they mentioned there is no such thing as paradise, but if your focus is on the negative then you will not enjoy the experience. Hope it works out for ya!

Give us a shout when you arrive then we'll grab a pint...

Patrick.

Omg, all of your comments are making me more nervous to go back to mauritius.

i was born in maurtius and moved over here when i was 8. its been ten years since i havent been back but I have now booked my tickets to go back next year. I am so sacred to what everyone would make of me.

Hi All,

I'm reading all your posts and everyone of you writes about my fear.

I left Mauritius when I was 18, I've lived in several places in Europe before moving to the US. After more than 20 years in the US, I've decided that it was time to go back to Mauritius. I just want to try for a couple of years and see what happens.

I've been going back for vacation every year or so...and I'm always very happy to visit. I realize that vacation and actually living there is different...And its true that Mauritians who speak creole mixed with english words and french words are frowned upon. Its hard for me to express myself in creole, very often I don't find the words, I don't even know that they exist, so I mix a little english and french! Well I've been told" to trop fiere pou cause creole".

So yes I'm scared! We should form a "Returning Residents" club ;)

Thank you all for sharing your feelings about this and guys don't give up, it is our island too! We have a right to be there!

I'll be arriving next April. I hope to meet all of you then. I will stop in Moka, for a while, until I find where I want to live. Albion sounds good or Flic en Flac. Any thoughts on rentals in those places?

Take care.

Hello Evian

You will love it here, I am Mauritian but beeen in London for 24yrs. I am now back to my home land. Just set up a care nursing home in Mauritius. slowly but surely to succeed.

I am now looking to buy a house or plot of land to build a family home. for my two daughters and my baby son.

I hope you will have a great time during your visit.

Regards
Rajiv

[moderated: no free ads]

I've just looked up your nursing home it looks amazing just like the ones in England fantastic for the Mauritian people .xxx

Hi Evian, did u finally move to Mauritius? If yes what would you say about the experience and life there? Stay blessed,

Hi slyzola,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that as you posted on an old thread, Evian may not reply.

I would suggest you to create a new discussion on the Mauritius forum if you want to know more about life in Mauritius.

I am sure the members will provide you with useful information very soon.

Thank you,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team