The schooling in Gibraltar.....

Hi
I am trying to decide whether to rent a place in La Linea and work in Gibraltar, or whether to pay a much costlier rent for a much smaller property in Gibraltar, and the only deciding factor is the schooling.
I have read that the schooling is only free if you live in Gibraltar, is this right?
I am relocating from Wales, hopefully around September/October time and i have a 13 year old son and a 3 month old son...bit of a gap i know!! hehe
Can anyone please throw some light on this for me?
I dont understand why we cant live in Spain and work in Gibraltar, and get the free schooling wherever we live, since we're in the EU in both anyway?
My older son might not be moving with us anyway, and if he decides he wants to stay here in Wales , then we can live in Spain until my youngest needs to go to preschool etc.
I suppose i should also ask about the pre-school facilites too?

I hope someone can help me.
Thank you
Gail

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Gail!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon!

Regards
Armand

Me too!! I dont want to carry on looking at properties in La Linea or further afield if its not gonna be an option!
Thanks a lot Armand
:-)

Hi Gail,

i live in the UK but am originally from Gibraltar.

Schooling is much better in Gibraltar than Spain.

You are correct, if you live in Spain, education will cost you a packet.

If you do move to Gib, it could be worth having a word with my sister Cori, as she owns an excellent nursery, which is run to UK standards.

RightStart Nursery
260 Main Sreet
Gibraltar

[email protected]

www.rightstartnursery.net

TEL: 00350 20064344

Regards,
George

Thanks a lot for that George.
I have looked into it a bit more now, so it will have to be living and working in Gib.
For anyone that doesnt know, if you live in Spain and work in Gib then you cannot claim anything from either country, either unemployment or medical, you do of course have the EU card for the medical bit.
As for schooling it is free if you live in Gibraltar, otherwise if you live in spain and take your children to school in  gibraltar then it costs a fortune in fees per term, i have seen costs of approx £900 a term for one school.
Its strange but by living in Gibraltar, all this becomes free, along with claiming unemployment benefit if you do lose your job.
You also have the option of continuing to pay national insurance to the UK ( so that your contributions do not stop) while you work there or pay NI to Gibraltar.
All a bit complicated for the end result of an easier and happier life! LOL.

Hi Gail

I'm in the same position as you and think Gibraltar would be the best option for us too. Spent about 2 weeks researching public transport buses in surrounding areas and it's not that good at the moment, might do a few dumpy runs to see how it goes in the morning rush hour.

Have you been to Gib recently?

I tried to send you a private message as wanted to ask you a question.

The location to North Africa is brilliant! Planning on a few trips there.

coco

If you would like to consider boarding school for any of your children I would be pleased to offer advice.

We are the U.K.'s leading firm of consultants who advise parents on all aspects of British independent school education.

[moderated: no free ads on the forum]

Hi all,

We are family of three and we are moving to Gibraltar. Our son is 11 years old. We would need any kind of help regarding schools in Gibraltar. Also, we would need a help when it comes to renting a flat. How much for rent, are flats furnished, where to look for renting a small flat and such.

I would appreciate any kind of info, website...
Thanks a lot.
Dalilah

Hi Dalilah
If you read through the different topics on this forum there is a lot of information there that might interest you.
Also, what i did was just type a question, any question into google or any other search engine and you get all sorts of answers. I found out a lot this way, especially with the schooling, pay, accommodation, car duty etc
I cant remember which topis it was in, but an agents name was given as being very good and helpful with finding work and/or accommodation in Gibraltar.
Please do let me know what you find.
PS What i have found though that is a bit odd, when you look on agency websites for work in Gibraltar a lot of the jobs salaries are extremely over rated, i.e way more than they actually are.
I think that you wont know the "real" salary until you actually go there and traipse around the genuine employers/agencies.
Gail

Hi Gail,

Thanks a lot for your reply and the info. I will Google and do some additional research. I will make sure I post findings here.

Dalilah