What is it like living in New York from the UK

My husband and I are moving from the UK next year to NY with his work.  Im looking forward to starting a new life but am nervous.

I would like to hear from expats who have made the move i will be making, to know whether they have any advice, what is it like finding a job, what is the cost of living like compared to the UK, where would you say are family orientated areas in NY as we have a 3 year old daughter.  I have printed the booklet which helps with formalities but its peoples stories/opinions i am after.

Thank you!

Julie

Hi Julie,

I would recommend finding a job before you move unless you can support yourself for a while (months).

What field would you be working in? Finance/banking? I.T.?
Job market in NYC is ok for the right skills.

I live on Long Island which is great for families but terribly expensive compared to some parts of UK.
You can expect $2000 to $3000 a month for rent plus utilities in Nassau county for a single family home.

If you are planning to send your 3yr old to decent school I would avoid manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx public schools. Nassau, westchester and Suffolk have mostly great schools.

Hope that helps

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.  Ok i will have to see what I can do when i know a definate date regarding a job.  I am a legal secretary so i hope that i can find something easily.

Thank you for your comments regarding schools and areas.  It has helped.

Hy Julie, you'll definitely find a job, and your advantage is that you're native language is English, even if is not the same as US English. Good luck in finding a good job.

Thank you!! :)

Don't worry Julie you'll be fine.  Also, living in NY is cheaper, well, compared to London that is. Welcome to NY & good luck!