New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi all,

I'm currently NYC based, but have been spending as much time as I can in Mexico the past couple of years, and looking to relocate to Mexico City. I've been mostly doing Operations and Logistics Management in the humanitarian sector the past few years, but have also worked in tourism for about half my career as well. My Spanish is advanced, and just looking for the right work arrangement that will allow me to relocate :)

Cheers,

Lev

I am supposed to introduce myself, so here goes:  I am 73 with three auto-immune diseases. I've been sick since I was 40, most of that time shut-in. So I'm a lot of fun, right?
I am wanting to expatriate to San Miguel de Allende. I have no idea how I can pull this off, but I am motivated. I need home health care which is a nightmare in the US. Plus things are getting just a bit strange her in the US... I have heard great things about being able to get help at home in Mexico. Plus, I have always just loved Mexico. Lived there for six months in a small town outside of Monterrey. I speak Spanish, but I am not what you would call fluent. I used to be a university librarian, and I also taught special education on the middle school level. That's about it!

welcome, Sparrow,

I would suggest you just put one foot in, ask questions and see how it goes.

Hello everyone. Just looking to hang out with some some interesting people, have some intriguing conversations

Hi Katie Murray here. I have been intrigued about moving to Mexico since my friends bought a condo in Cozumel and started having a good time 4 months out of the year. The problem was my awful half saw it as a risk, and posed questions about what I was going to do this or that, which I understood as veiled threats and did not contest. Well, that awful half will be gone in about 3 months and I plan on going and doing at least some of the things we never did for 35 years, and that's a lot. I was born and raised in Chicago, but presently reside in Bend Oregon which is an expensive place to live. I'm hoping to start teaching English online, start a vlog with a friend and do housesitting. Cozumel seems wonderful, but warm. I have thought of San Miguel de Allende or Lake Chapla. I'm looking at FB sites especially for those cities to ask about housesitting. But, I know a lot of those jobs are by word of mouth. So, if anyone knows of any sites I can look at for housesitting job (that doesn't charge a membership), please let me know. Also I'm looking at trying to find any local newspapers in those areas. I don't mind keeping the houseclean, and watering plants. And I love animals! But, I don't do any heavy gardening or any other responsibilities that involve a lot of physical work. You'll have to forgive me that I'm not more specific but this decision has just been made in the last 4 days and I'm also dealing with sinus surgery that I had on the 29th. Thanks to all! Keep up the good work!

That's a good idea. It's hard for me to travel, but I do have a friend moving down there this month. I could go visit and check it out. I have no idea how the health care system works in Mexico.

Hi narrow_sparrow,
If you want more information, here's a link to the Health care system in Mexico

What plans do you have in Mexico? :)

Regards

Loïc

Hi, Loic -

Thanks for that health care link. Good info there.

I have a friend of almost 50 years who has moved to San Miguel with her husband. She has Parkinson's,  and after having visited there for two years, she convinced me that I could get better health care there than in the US. There is no cure for what I've got, so I'm just looking to maintain the protocol I am on and find people to help me in a house I hope I can afford! I admit that I am really scared to make such a big change at this age and in such poor health. But it's getting weird here in the US; I need to be some place else, and SMA sounds good!

Katie, welcome to expat.

It looks like you have quite a bit on your plate. I would suggest that you arrange to just visit and see what you think.

Mexico is a very independent hands-on place. Things that would be automatically managed by bill paying online in the U.S. have to be managed person to person. In other words, you would be more active and you would likely have to do house maintenance unless you have the budget to hire a housekeeper on a daily basis. I have one on a weekly basis but I still do a lot of the house maintenance myself

There is good internet service but no actual bill management online. That's why you have problems finding what you want online. Even if there is a web site they are very unlikely to use it. The only success I have had with that is having a Mexican bank where two of my bills can be paid automatically. That took in-person face time. Do you speak Spanish?
It's a different world come check it out and see if it's a good fit for you.

Thank you for your reply! Yes I apologize to everyone on ex-pat.com community for throwing up on them in my introduction! My only excuse is that I was still recovering from anesthesia and I shouldn't have been doing so many things online.
No, I have never been to Mexico, but I do have some friends in Cozumel who have been spending 4 to 5 months there for the last several 15 years, as I watched enviously.
I do plan on visiting Mexico, but that's to get my teeth fixed by a doctor in Cancun if he accepts me. I know Cancun is an unrealistic depiction of what real Mexican life can be, but hey I NEED a vacation!
I was curious about the things you said concerning banking. Do you know if Mexican banks accept Social Security checks? Or are you not in that age group? Also is Mexico a Golden Visa country?
No, I don't speak Spanish! LOL! But it is on my urgent to do list!
Thanks again for the information!
Katie

Its okay Katie,

we all know how stressful things can get. It looks like your friends might be the ideal place for you to start your visit.
Cancun tends to be on the expensive, to the very expensive side so prepare for that. It is, after all, a tourist city. Did you know Tijuana also does medical and dental work? that would be much closer to where you are living.

As for Banks getting an account has a lot to do with your visa. The bank I deal with would have accepted my retirement account for deposit, but I like my U.S. bank. Some start with banks that have a presence in both countries like CitiBank. Some use a Schwab account and the ATM here. That would be something you could explore later.

Good luck

Thanks again for the good information! But, I have to bother you for one more question. Is Tijuana save if I go alone?

Lady Penzance -- If you call that throwing up, then I must have done projectile barfing! I need to apologize, too. We are all in "interesting" situations....

Hi Katie,

When I say fairly safe I mean less risky than say Juarez and most other border towns or places like Portland and Seattle. Also, many ex-pats live near there in Rosarito or further down in Ensanada.
The locals like the tourist dollar so they are pretty accommodating.  They will ask a higher price in U.S. dollars.  I tell them in Spanish that I am a permanent resident, and "just for you The price will be (much lower number) "it amuses me.  So just be aware everywhere.

You could contact the dental and medical services before going and get their advice about hotels etc. The medical and dental care there is really very good. They do communicate online. They have many American clients.

Have a good day.

Hi guys!  I'm Laura!

After our mother passed away, my siblings and I took a trip to Guanajuato and San Miguel.  My brother's husband is from Torreon, and he planned this magical trip.  So magical that I will be moving there in the next year or two!  I am currently taking Spanish, and I'm beginning to research all that I need to know about moving to a foreign country.

I am 56, recently retired after owning a successful deli in San Diego for ten years.  Talk about exhausting!  It's time to enjoy life and San Miguel is the place.  Thank you for creating this forum.  I can definitely use any advice you have.   I will be bringing a cat.  Do I sell my car?  Do I need new health insurance?  I don't know what I don't know!   Thank you everyone!

I'll give a partial answer regarding insurance.  I moved to Mexico last August, starting in Guanajuato but am now in Playa.  I figured I'd get around to insurance, one of these days, and then slipped on a tile floor and broke my ankle, badly. So, I went to the hospital in Playa and had x-rays, CAT scan, surgery, all of which went well, but without insurance I paid out of pocket, about $11,000 US.  Expensive, but much less than in the states.  I recommend you do your research on insurance and get covered.  Many mention travel insurance, but I'm a permanent resident and that didn't or doesn't seem to be what I need. 

I prefer the vibe in Guanajuato to San Miguel, thought both are wonderful havens for expats.

Steve

Hi everyone thanks for the welcome to join this group.  I have almost 18 years living in the Puerto Vallarta area.  With a home in Bucerias and a small hotel/hostel in Punta de Mita called Surfers Paradise, its listed on Airbnb.  We enjoy this area for its beaches and surfing, sailing, fishing and biking.  We provide short and long term stays and have an array of surf boards and SUP as well as boogie boards and lessons for anyone wanting to learn to surf.  I'm also an agent for Guardian insurance providing medical/ health insurance for expats.  After many many years in Mexico I have an extensive knowledge of how many things here operate from building to hospital care.  Thanks for adding me to the group we're definitely stronger and better off with the knowledge that each of us can bring to the foreign soil we call home. 
Tom

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum

Hello my name is Frank Muniz living in Las Vegas right now but considering moving to San Miguel de Allende, temporarily for a few months maybe a year or more if I like it
I'm a professional acting coach, English and Spanish teacher/tutor. I would appreciate anyone giving me some tips about moving, working and living in San Miguel, specially I would like to know if there's any market for Acting classes and or English/Spanish classes. Thanks

Greetings to everyone.  My husband and I are considering a visit to San Miguel de Allende next winter--most likely in January and February.  We are retirees looking for a roving retirement and checking out possible long term options.  We are new to this, but have travelled abroad before as well as within the US.  Among other things, we are looking to make new friends, see the area and enjoy ourselves.  We are looking at airbnb for rental options, but if anyone knows any other possibilities, please let me know.  Any information about life in SMA will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Thank you for accepting me into your group. Single 73 year old women interested in having SS go further than in the US.  Have been researching Costa Rica and now Mexico.  Not sure if seeking fT or maybe 3 or more months/ yr.  Ideally, want to live in a co-Housing community with neighbors becoming extended family.  Hope to learn about various areas from others posts. Jacqui McPhillips

Hi,
My husband and I moved to Tijuana in December from Michigan. We bought a house on the beach in a gated community.

The Tijuana area has many expats as well as natives. We love the people here. Everyone is very welcoming. Check out Rosarito. (Claudia at Baja 123 is a great realtor.)

Before Corona, we went to CA about weekly. Our son lives in San Diego and it's an easy 40 min drive. We do our banking there and sometimes Trader Joe's or other shoppers.

There are several companies here that manage your MX bills. Ours pays all our utilities plus orders propane, pays our taxes. We also have home and car insurance through them. They charge $120 USD/year. We do not have a Mexican bank but can use our Chase visa at ATMs to get cash.

We love it  here. In any big city, there are areas you wouldn't want to be in at night. The same is true here. Let common sense prevail and you'll be fine!

Forgot to say, check out Rosaritoliving.com to get a feel for the area.

Hi Frank,
I've been one of the top actor photographers in LA and NYC for over 30-years, looking to retire in SMA.  I'm afraid the States are getting just too expensive to live, and I see many bad events beginning to happen here, sadly.  Looking perhaps for a co-housing situation to help share the rent, and would love to speak with you.  Please drop me a line at [email protected] if you'd care to chat.
Best!
Robert

Hi,
Nice to meet you all. I am not new in Mexico but just relocated to Cancun a few weeks ago. I am a 30 yo Civil Engineer with experience in the mining sector as a contractor and consultant. Was going to move to MTL this year but decided to change my plans and ended at the Caribbean.
Reach me out if there is anything I can help you with.
Enrique

¡Hola!

Diane here. I have a question.

My husband and I have been living in Guanajuato (city) for almost a year with Temporary Residency status. It's time for us to renew however he would like to convert to a Permanent Resident he has the economic solvency to qualify and we've made the decision to stay long term.

After (and If) he is granted Permanent Residency, am I eligible to apply for my permanent residency as his spouse? So far the only information I find applies to the spouses who received their Temporary status through marriage.
Letter g. under “Demostrar vínculo de acuerdo a lo siguiente:” on the following page:
https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/cambi … iar/INM822

This addresses spouses who obtained their Temp Status through a marriage/common law process, not someone who did it on their own. Is there another section I'm not finding that addresses people like me or will I have to wait until my 4 years as a Temporary Resident is over to apply for Permanent status?

If I'm going to be eligible to apply for permanent status then I'll just renew my Temp Status for 1 year (and pay the 1 year fee) and go for the Permanent before the year is over. If not, then I'll renew for 4 years and then apply for Permanent status after that.

Thanks for reading.

We are loving Mexico and hope soon a solution for COVID-19 can come. It's just heartbreaking all the locals who are out of work because of no tourists and no locals going out to eat at the restaurants. We'd also love to start experiencing Mexico again and contributing to the economy here.

Diane

Hello Diane, Welcome to ex-pat Mexico

I don't know what the restrictions are like in  Guanajuato, but I would think they would be like most of Mexico.

Here you have to have a good reason to be on the street, have a necessary destination. which is pretty much food or medicine and be wearing a mask Or the police would be writing fines or in some other way showing their displeasure.

The phase three restrictive announcement applied to all of Mexico. The restaurants here are closed, all small businesses are closed. you are living here so those restrictions apply to you also. I'm making sure you are aware of the situation because your visa is expiring and it is not a simple thing.

When things return to a more normal state the web page you referenced may have changed. Things can happen quickly. The border was closed, tourist reservations were canceled and they were told to go home all in less than two weeks.

You need to talk to immigration. those offices are likely closed like they are here. The Mex console in the states is closed also I am told. So I would suggest you keep all of your paperwork together and keep a low profile while you wait to talk to them.
You are experiencing Mexico.

good luck.

Hi all, I am currently living and working in Botswana but planning on moving to Mexico soon. I am learning Spanish so my Spanish reading and writing skills are still a bit rusty. I've been having some difficulties with writing my resume in Spanish. I tried using Google translator but I am not sure if the translation is up to par. I would like some help with that.

Oteng

Hello Oteng,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks for introducing yourself.

Maybe you should inquire about writing tools which can help with your Spanish by creating a new thread on the Mexico forum?

Since this thread is for the introductions of new members only, your query will gain more attention if posted as a separate topic.

Feel free to start new threads on other topics which are of interest to you.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Hello, I'm new to the Expat Forum. I'm very excited to be here and learn more about the Expat life.  ***

Moderated by Loïc 3 years ago
Reason : Certains external link are not allowed on the forum, thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you Diksha.

Hello!

A very long time ago...2011 in fact, I posted here as I was moving to Mauritius! I received a lot of help from you all and here I am again, this time I'm preparing my retirement to Mexico. I'm interested in Bucerias or anywhere around that area. This was not going to happen for another two years, when I turn 65. But with Covid-19, things have changed and I might have to take early retirement and move at the beginning of 2021 or even sooner.

Any tips are welcome. I just ask to keep it positive and kind.

Thank you, and be safe wherever you are.

Devi

welcome Devi.

When things settle down we will be glad to help you. Like everywhere else Mexico is having its issues. Hopefully by 2021 things will be more stable.
Honestly now is not the best time to try to come here.

I suggest you have some contact with the Mx, consulate near you to see what's going on,. Initially all non-residents were told to leave and many consulates in the U.S. closed. As far as I know those of us remaining have temporary residency or more likely permanent. Keep in touch.

I've been driving to Mexico since the early 70's back when we were picking up Boa Constrictors and bagging them into pillowcases to turn them loose at Palenque ... back when the only paved road was on the E. Coast.

When the PMex stations near Campeche were the only lights for many miles around they attracted hundred of thousands of bugs..... which attracted thousands of bats .... which made gassing up quite interesting...

When the roads were slick with land crab migrations ....

When we got run out of Xel-Ha at gunpoint for exploring too far, when Jaguars were on the roads at night.

Probably fixin' to relocate. 

Glad to be here.

Was thinking about the DR but it is getting so complicated there.

Have some soil restoration ideas, been a technology developer guy my whole life in the oilfield.

Thank you,

Jay Reynolds

jaycreynolds wrote:

I've been driving to Mexico since the early 70's back when we were picking up Boa Constrictors and bagging them into pillowcases to turn them loose at Palenque ... back when the only paved road was on the E. Coast.

When the PMex stations near Campeche were the only lights for many miles around they attracted hundred of thousands of bugs..... which attracted thousands of bats .... which made gassing up quite interesting...

When the roads were slick with land crab migrations ....

When we got run out of Xel-Ha at gunpoint for exploring too far, when Jaguars were on the roads at night.

Probably fixin' to relocate. 

Glad to be here.

Was thinking about the DR but it is getting so complicated there.

Have some soil restoration ideas, been a technology developer guy my whole life in the oilfield.

Thank you,

Jay Reynolds

Welcome to ex-pat Jay,

Sounds like you have many interesting stories to tell.

Trying to figure out where to go for my 'relocation' scouting trip...  looking for a safe, 'local' feel yet neither in a city nor way out in the sticks.

View of the ocean and a breeze is high on the list :)

Thanks for the reply!

Well, Jay
right now it isn't easy. There are small places along the Yucatan that might be what you are looking for, but right now you wouldn't be able to go there.

I can't even get to Merida for supplies. They block people because of the PeMX issue. Many of those in the oil area are said to be sick so people can't visit Merida or the small towns along the coast. Of course, Cancun is designated a red zone so they can't go north.

So currently we are forced to be where we are. I like to travel so there is that :unsure

Hi all

Making my first post here as a newbie, interested in moving to Mexico in about the next year (hopefully!). I currently work in a college writing center tutoring English/writing (mostly) while pursuing my master's online in TESOL. I'm expecting to finish my MSeD by summer 2021.

I visited Mexico quite a while ago (back in the late 80s), having enjoyed going not only visiting the Mayan ruins (thus doing the tourist thing in the Yucatan, i.e. Chichén-Itzá, Tulum, and Cozumel) but found my favorite place to be the Zona Arqueológica Palenque. I even had a day trip into Guatemala to Huehuetenango as well as a quick hop over the border into Belize. To clarify, I was not traveling alone, but with my boyfriend at that time. I had very fond memories of my various visits to Mexico, some of which were bordertown quick visits such as Mexicali, Ensenada, and Sonora, but also to Oaxaca, Villahermosa, Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Campeche, and Mérida.

Anyway, I have a question, which I know has been answered somewhat in different threads regarding having your out of the country vehicle in Mexico. I'm still in the info gathering stage at this point. Additionally, prior to actually coming down to live hopefully (since at this point, things are up in the air with what's been going on globally), I would like to spend some time driving around and getting to know the country and determine where I might want to reside.

So let's say I have figured out where I want to live, here goes my biggest question. What I'm specifically wondering is this. I have an inner ear disorder that I would rather not push by flying and instead drive down (not sure where I want to go yet) as a way to move my belongings as well as my cat. Speaking generally here (if I go beyond the X-number km past the border and take care of any "taxes/fees" further into the interior), would something like that still fall under the 180 days (I believe) to allow me to keep my vehicle there temporarily? I realize at some point, I would be best getting rid of it and buying a Mexican one and trying to take my US one back and selling, etc. Are there other considerations I should be aware of when coming down on my own? I know it would definitely be a very long drive from Northern New York state (I live about an hour and a half from the Canada border!)

The other question I have is if there are any specific regions where there is more of a need for being a TESOL teacher of adults (my preference, though I also have an associate's degree in Early Childhood Education that I could fall back on). From what I have read so far, I understand that finding jobs teaching English tend to fall back on in-person visits, rather than doing internet job searches. Is that correct?

I do realize that some things I will need to consult with officials, but I was hoping to get some sense of what I might be encountering from a local's point of view as well.

Thank you so much for reading,
--Carrie

Hi everybody. I am wanting to travel to San Miguel de Allende for a week or so as soon as the Corona virus restrictions allow. I will probably be traveling alone and don't know where to stay. I want to look around for a progressive atmosphere with the idea of relocating there permanently. I am 73, single, retired from oilfield and later from teaching elementary school.  My kids are grown and on their own and I plan to sell my house.  Can I find a B&B? Suggestions? Gracious Ann

I moved to Mexico last August and have been staying in Airbnb rentals.  Previously, I had visited Mexico many times in recent years, almost always staying in Airbnbs.  As to your specific question re BnBs, I have seen them advertised, but have no experience with them.

Best wishes,

Closed