New members of the Kenya forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Kenya forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Kenya if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello good people!

My name is Huldah Hiltsley, I married to my wonderful husband Bart Hiltsley and we have a 2 year old daughter called Jaydah Rae.

Currently, we live and work in San Diego, California and are ready for an adventure of a life time of relocating to Kenya as soon as the right opportunity presents itself. I was born in Kenya and have deep family roots. My husband LOVES Kenya, the people and the culture. Together, we want to provide an opportunity for our daughter to grow up in that culture and also give us a better work-life balance that we so desperately need.

We travel to Kenya at least once a year for my project initiative called SaniNaps that I started in 2016. It aims to empower girls to stay in school by providing reusable sanitary napkins and basic school supplies. So relocating to Kenya will not be at all a cultural shock.

So far I am ACTIVELY searching and applying to any opportunity available.  Any advise would truly be appreciated and welcomed.

ASANTE SANA!
Thank you very much,

Hudah Hiltsley

Hello. My name is Laura. Kenyan born but travelled to France and Tanzania as a kid.
I am a recent graduate (Bachelor of Development Studies) and at the moment I am a French tutor in Nairobi. I have done all kinds of odd jobs since and before graduating such as teaching, cyber attendant, laundry lady and sales&marketing.
I am trained professionally in social work and open to opportunities both within and outside Kenyan borders. I am very computer literate and have experience at rehab and childrens homes and health NGOs.
I have interned at Compassion International before for 3 months. It was a great experience!

Hello HHiltsley & Lau_Favor,

Welcome to Expat.com and thanks for your introductions :)

@HHiltsley: The project initiative you started to support Kenyan girls sounds like a very interesting and beneficial endeavour. As for your job search, you may post a free advert in the Jobs in Kenya section.

@Lau_Favor: You seem to have had quite a lot of experience, work-wise. However, I would advise you to not post your contact details on the forum for your own safety. I see that you already have posted adverts for your job search and to offer French classes. The interested parties will reach out to you through your adverts.

Feel free to post new topics on the Kenya forum if anyone of you has questions which concern moving to/living in Kenya.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Hello. Im a born-again French tutor, transcriber and translator in Nairobi, Kenya. I am looking for friends from all over the world **** God bless you and stay safe!

Hello Fluent_TutorTranscriber,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks for introducing yourself.

Hopefully, you will meet some people on the forum and form new friendships soon  ;)

Since you are fairly new, I would like to give you a heads-up about promoting one's services which is not allowed on the forum. Nonetheless, you are most welcome to register in the business directory.

Good luck in all your endeavours in Kenya,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Hi, My name is Wanjiku. I was born in Kenya but have lived most of my life in Australia where I went to Southern Cross University as well working in local schools in the NSW Education system. I have two beautiful children who are now are young adults.  I decided to go back to Kenya where I could start a school supporting the local community  in education. For the last 6 years I have been going back spending time with my family in Australia and going back to Kenya where I spend most of my time working with young children. I am an Australian citizen.

Hello Wanjiku and Cassim,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks for your nice introductions :)

@Wanjiku: I am glad to hear about your project and wish you much success in helping the local community this way  :)

@Cassim:  I hope these 2 decades have been rewarding for you and your family, and that your return to your home country is yet another positive chapter of your life awaiting you :) Please go ahead and post your items to the Classifieds in Kenya section, and do have a look at the part of the website dedicated to those living in Toronto.

For all queries both of you may have, I would recommend that you create new threads on the Kenya forum, whether as a current expat or as an expat wrapping things up to fly back home.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed on Expat.com, thanks to get registered in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello, my name is Aneta from Czech republic And Iam looking for some work in Mombasa or Diani beach. Do you know about something ? Any feedback is welcome. 😊

[Post under review]

Hi ,

My name is Paige. I will be moving to Kenya in 1 year. I am from California. 20 years ago I lived in Kenya as a volunteer. I am planning to retire within the year and looking for ideas what it takes to live in Kenya.

1) Is it hard to secure a classes K permit? What are the steps? I can prove my income of excess of $25K per year.

2) Once establishes as a K permit, do you get a residence card? I am interested in traveling throughout Kenya and was hoping to secure resident's card to gain discounts to national Parks and reserves.

3) I am also looking for vehicles to purchase (now) for my upcoming move. I am building a home in upcountry and will be visiting for a moth at a time.

many thanks

Paige

Hi Paige - I'm still trying to find out how to get your personal email address through this Expat forum. If you find out would you please write how to do it here?
Thanks,
Sarnia

Thank you for accepting me and the warm welcome 😊. Will definitely be sharing more on my projects as I'm yet to move there. But I'm looking forward to meeting new people and sharing experiences.

Thank you,

I am Anna from kenya I enjoy meeting new people.

Hi John, Interested, kindly share your details

Hi,

My name is Jared. My wife is Joyce. I am glad to be her.

Hello. My name is Laura. I am Kenyan. I grew up  mostly abroad but im back.I am looking for work and accomodation in Kenya or outside. I can speak fluent French and English. Kindly message me if you hear of anything. Thank you.

Hi Wanjiku! My name is Jasmine and I'm also a teacher from Australia. I'm really interested in your project and would love to know about it. I plan to move to Kenya to marry my Kenyan fiancé. Please feel free to reach out so we can talk some more.

Welcome

welcome home Susan

Welcome

Hi,
I'm Harry from Iceland, married to a Kenyan and still looking for a way to move to Kenya, get a job and a residence and working permit.

I am a hobby photographer, a certified fitness trainer, certified endurance coach, certified nutrition advisor and I like brewing beer, making wine and do some distilling.

Cheers

Hi Harry,

As the expression goes, "good things come to those who wait".

Take your time, be patient and most of all PLEASE be Safe!

I am sure it will work out for you in the end.

Regards

Ali

Hi Paige,
Having just arrived in Kenya I can tell you that at present there's some confusion about the Covid test requirements. What follows is from the Kenyan Ministry of Transport:
<All arriving passengers on international flights whose body temperature is NOT above 37.5° C (99.5°F); do NOT have a persistent cough, difficulty in breathing or other flu-like symptoms; have negative PCR based COVID – 19 test carried out within 96 hours before travel and are from countries considered low to medium risk COVID – 19 transmission areas shall be exempt from quarantine.>
US passengers are not exempt - Canadians are.
I understood the '96 hours before travel' to mean that one would need to produce this negative test result on arrival in Nairobi.
In fact - and I don't believe it was there on the Lufthansa website when I booked my ticket - that negative result must be shown at check in. There were several people denied flying because their result had not arrived in time for check in. (Perhaps that was only a Lufthansa requirement - I don't know.)
Also, the check in agent assured me it needed to be in paper format and not electronic. Fortunately he was kind and helpful and got mine printed for me.
Further, on the flight segment from Frankfurt to Nairobi, cabin staff brought around Kenyan Ministry of Health, 'Travelers Health Surveillance Forms' for those who had not already filled this out and submitted it online.
On arrival in Nairobi, these paper forms were not accepted, only an online version which showed a code after it had been submitted. I do not know how people managed who did not have a smartphone with them to be able to enter everything again and get that code. Airport staff were there to assist passengers and one admitted that there was a lot of confusion and mixed messages.
Perhaps by the time you come, none of this will be necessary. Yet others with immediate travel plans may find this useful.
Sarnia

Hello there,

I am Churchill Butalia Living in KENYA and I work with Alliance for Development and Population Services-ADEPS, a nonprofit organization working to address development problems affecting people, alleviate poverty and help reduce suffering through research and needs assessment studies in poor and disadvantaged communities thereby helping to promote social economic development and building up more healthy, economically strong and vibrant society.

I am happy to be on this great platform to connect , make new friends and  share ideas and experiences.

Hello Mr Churchill, welcome to our site. it will be nice being friends.

Hi all we are a family of 5 planning to move to kenya nest August!! Very excited

Welcome to Kenya. The motherland of True Hospitality.

A warm welcome to you.We would be happy to receive you and thank you for coming.

Hello Archstone,

Thank you very much.I would be happy to make new friends.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=916001

Thanks!

Closed