Cable / Satellite tv in Mauritius

What is the preferable cable / satellite tv in Mauritius more European orientated. Is there a better option than Canal +?

hi
i am relocating to mauritius soon, and not a French speaker. Unfortunately, the 2 major satalite companies there are Canal+ and Parabole, which is mostly in french. you have the odd hindi/english channel mind you.
the other option which i was looking into was DSTV from south africa, but its quite costly!

Yeah I understood the South African one is expensive, around 5000 RS a month?
What do you guys think of MYT (The combination of internet and tv).

Cookie,

The MyT solution is actually not bad. Some of the channels are in French (notably, the cartoon networks for children), however, you do get CNN World, Bloomberg TV and France 24 in English. It also gives you the local MBC stations digitally, which is great since over the air reception is spotty in places. When bundled with a 2Mbps ADSL connection and home phone service it'll run you around Rs. 2,000/month.

Of course, to watch first-run TV series from the U.S. and elsewhere via Hulu/Netflix, et al, you'll either need to use a proxy service from the U.S. (to get around the region-specific restrictions - try HotSpot Shield or similar), or go the Torrents route.

Hope that helps!

RCK

Hi RCK... We download almost everything we watch and use Torrentleach which is the fastest. But my husband is a sports fan (soccer and NBA games), therefore we'll need some kind of satellite / cable tv if he wants to watch it live. How are the sports channels over there btw?

Cookie,

I'm not much of a European sports fan (American - our football is pointed at the ends), so I haven't paid much attention. I do know that you get Orange Sport with MyT, and I believe major events like the World Cup are covered on the MBC channels. However, I'd check it out before committing - just visit orange.mu and look at the offerings under MyT Surf/Watch.

Note, also, that if you're a torrents user, you should definitely check-out eztv.it. Lots of first-run shows from both the U.S. and U.K. BTW, I've found that if you properly configure your firewall/router you can get full-speed for most torrents - in excess of 200KB/second on a 2Mbps line. And from what I can tell on orange.mu, the traffic usage model is now unlimited (it was "fair usage" before), and I've never hit a volume cap, so...

Good luck!

RCK

Thanks RCK! That's very useful information :)

Cookie,

We have the DSTV decoder and we pay about 2,250Rs per month. It is Ok, you get BBC, skyNews, worlNews, Euro News, E!, 5-6 movie channels, Uni Cha, National Geographic channels, several sports channels (superSports) and of course all the african channels from Zim, Botswana.. Nigeria..etc.. their home made series/dramas and movies and talk shows are a bit funny even if they are not intended to be funny.

The DSTV service is O.K. but once or twice a month, you loose sound for 5-10 min which can be annoying..

Mariam

Mariam

Hi Miriam,

I am relocating to Mauritius having spent a long time in Dubai and as I originate from NZ I need to be able to watch the rugby and also the Motogp. I know your post is a few years old now but as an active member I hope you are still here in Mauritius. If you are do you still use the DSTV satellite and if you do can you tell me how I go about subscribing to it and who you would recommend to set it up?

Thank you,

Duncan

Hello Duncan,

Welcome to the forum.

Mariam has not connected to the website since long now, (3 years). I suggest that you consider creating a new thread on the Mauritius forum so that you might get some updated info.

All the very best,
Bhavna

Hi there, dstv is still available on the island. They have an office in Tamarin. Give them a call or go there when you get here. It's a relatively simple process and they screen majority All black games in HD. Hope this helps :)

Thank you Sindie, will take a trip to see DSTV and sort out a subscription.