Additional fee in the car registration

Hi all,

Got round today (Only been in Malta since monday last week however) to do the first par of registration for the car.

Phoned up the vehicle inspectorate and got them to check the car for the registration value. I was surprised after hearing huge horror stories that the figure that i worked out online was the actual price that they had stamped as correct... woohoo one part going to plan.  Insurance was then the next stage and i have managed that at fully comprehensive with any driver over 36 and no claims protect (2 bumps a year...need in Malta i think) for less than HALF the price of in the UK... wow this seems a little to easy....

Tomorrow morning i have the VRT so unless they rip the car apart and then miss things going back i feel that could be a decent one aswell......

BUT..... there is now another fee you have to PAY....

ODOMETER VERIFICATION CERTIFICATE @ a cost of about £35.00 inc vat. This has to be done on any vehicle registered in Malta from an EU country since the 1st April 2011.

It is supposed to be done before you bring a car into Malta but can be done in retrospec by a comany called Jevic and you can check it out jevic.co.uk where it has all the details of what you need.  Note you will need to send them a copy of your last MOT and a copy of your registration document.

ok its just another £35.00 but its still money being paid out for bringing a vehicle that you own into a country that is within the EU.  Wonder how this would go down with all the Europeans that have come into the UK to live and work, might actually help the goverment get some money back into the coffers though :)

Jules

scubaboy wrote:

Tomorrow morning i have the VRT so unless they rip the car apart and then miss things going back i feel that could be a decent one aswell......

I wouldn't worry too much about this.  Don't take a big book as you won't be reading for long.  Nothing like the MOT in UK. 

BUT..... there is now another fee you have to PAY....

ODOMETER VERIFICATION CERTIFICATE @ a cost of about £35.00 inc vat. This has to be done on any vehicle registered in Malta from an EU country since the 1st April 2011.

I am still going through this process, due to application for exemption before I can even register my car.  However,  although this applies to cars that entered Malta AFTER 1 April, 2011, they have seen fit to apply it to applications after 1st April, even tho my car arrived before this date......

Don't ya just love em..

The price we pay for a bouyant economy..hehe

Jules(also)
x

malta will be clapping their hands - all the extra revenue...

VRT Done and dusted.... 4 wheels ... Tick, Lights.... Tick, Radio is set to Bay or Magic..... Tick.... 20.27 Euros .... Tick...

Done

12 minutes and he did 5 cars between 08:00 and 9:15.

Next stage ..... paying the tax and getting the plates.

Jules ... seems there be two of us :)

scubaboy wrote:

... no claims protect (2 bumps a year...need in Malta i think)
Jules

DEFINITELY go for the no-claims protection...we didn't and it looks like we are going to lose ours (drop from 65% to 35%) despite the fact that we were hit from behind, it seems it is  going to be deemed 50/50...OIM!

BTW that new extra fee was reported on this forum when it was announced, but thanks for reminding everyone.

Tim

Cheers Tim

hammersfan wrote:
scubaboy wrote:

... no claims protect (2 bumps a year...need in Malta i think)
Jules

DEFINITELY go for the no-claims protection...we didn't and it looks like we are going to lose ours (drop from 65% to 35%) despite the fact that we were hit from behind, it seems it is  going to be deemed 50/50...OIM!

BTW that new extra fee was reported on this forum when it was announced, but thanks for reminding everyone.

Tim

i can sympathise with the rear end shunt comment as the same happened to us......maltese wardens. maltese other driver and maltese insurance company - poor old brits got plenty of money lets shaft them........OIM