Question for USA families living in Riyadh

My family is considering a move to Riyadh for my husband's job, but before accepting an offer, I want to get a feel for the life of an American family living in Riyadh.  We have no problem moving to a middle eastern country, but want to ensure that it is totally safe first.  We have three small children and I want to know if you fear for their safety or well-being or do you fear for your own safety (as a woman going out into the city)?  Does it just depend on which compound you live in? Are some safer or more friendly than others (which ones)?

Another option we were comsidering if Riyadh is not safe is to locate me and the children in Dubai and have my husband fly to Riyadh each week for work.  Would you have done that if you had the option?

Any guidance you could give to an American mother considering this move would be greatly appreciated!

hi

Saudi Arabia is very safe. If you don't want to be afraid from living in big compounds, you can see a very small compound which is consisting of about 6 villas and it's include Lebanese nationalities sometimes.

Hi there, I am not American, nor do I live in a compound, but I know of others who do & trust me, it's pretty safe here. Crime rate is VERY low, as long as you abide by the laws, there's nothing to be afraid of.

I moved here from Cape Town, South Africa & we live in a house here, not a compound, but I believe compound living is pretty great (more freedom as a woman & easier to make friends).

In my opinion it would be totally unneccesary for you to live in Dubai while your husband is here in Saudi. Although Dubai is nicer, has more to do & more freedom for you as a woman, Saudi is totally safe & as long as you can get past the restriction of not driving & wearing the abaya & head scarf, you'll be just fine here...just my opinion.

Try to do a lot of google research in preparation (that helped me a lot). Talk to as much expats on their experiences here & you'll find it's not at all that difficult to adjust to life in Saudi :)

Good luck

Welcome Twin - I just PMd you with some info.  its a safe place, especially on a compound and your family will enjoy the experience.  But you need to do some homework before you make this decision. 

Regards,

Hello twin_mom and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that you will get replies to your query soon!

Wishing you all the best,
Harmonie.

Safety and the future of my kids is actually one of the big reasons my wife and I are hoping to move to KSA.  Right now we live in Jacksonville Florida, which has been the murder capital of Florida for 9 of the last 10 years (Miami finally passed us this year due to the recession).

I have some friends who have been in the Kingdom a few years and they love it.  It's a different world from what we're used to, and getting used to a new way of life can be challenging, but if you work for a good company and are able to adapt it can be very rewarding. 

Good luck!

Jamonline - welcome to the forum!  Yes, Saudi can be a great place and is for many of us.  But as a westerner, it can have its moments.  Gather as much info from your friends as possible before you make the move and be sure to obtain as many allowances that you can for housing, a vehicle, a driver, healthcare, housemaid, and most important, tuition for your kids.  Check out the American International School website.  Tuition rates range from $5600-$18000 annually, depending on the grade.  there are other schools that you may consider and they are less expensive.  This is not the place to come to without doing your homework.  And please be sure you have adequate housing for your family BEFORE you arrive in the country or you will all live out of a hotel for months.  The American Community Riyadh is another good source of info at www.acrsa.com.  Best of Luck!
Regards,