PNG life-moving to port moresby

Hi. I've worked in Dubai and Libya. Now, thinking to move to PNG hopefully in few months. Pls tell me how's life in port moresby in terms of recreation/entertainment and safety? is it safe to take a cab alone? Is there a mall? thanks.

Hi ohmygiz,

Welcome to the forum!

I hope other members from Port Moresby will soon share their expat experience with you.

A mall?  Uh, not exactly.  There's a "shopping center" that was recently built.  You can get what you need, and the rest is whatever you can find in terms of "want". 

I took a cab there once by myself.  Some would argue against it, but I didn't have a problem.  You just have to call ahead to plan it.  Red Dot Taxi service is what the hotels use, so that's what I went with. 

I'm in Lae, so not as familiar with POM, but they do have a large social scene (as compared with the rest of the country).  Safety is always a concern, so recreation is done with groups and/or in secure locations.

Hope this helps some.

Wendy

Thank you for the info! For the "shopping center", definitely i can deal with that. As i stayed in Tripoli, Libya for a year and no shopping mall, just a small shopping center and boutiques. And take note NO fast food chain like KFC, Subway, Mcdo, Pizza Hut. For sure, i can manage to live in POM.

Surely, I will take a hotel cab. ;))) (ofcourse, charge will a way bit different from the regular taxi)

Cant wait to be there in few months. ;)

Thanks lot!

No Mall's but I'll say mini mall, its called the Vision City, it has about 15-20 shop's. No fast food chain. Its safe to get on established taxi services like Red Dot & Ark Taxis by yourself. Night life well most expats go to Port Moresby Yacht club or Ozzie's Bar its a safe place to dine & have a drink. Its safe going with mates.

You need any other help let me know.

Cheer's.