Food prices in chiang mai

hi,i am in phuket,can you tell me the price in chiang mai for eggs 10 or 12 pack,pork loin a kg,chiken breast a kg, mango,Because many peoples told me is it cheaper in CM.But when i look at home price for sale and for rent in CM at thai visa classified,i think is it not cheaper than phuket.I am living here for 3 years and i rent a 2 bed room nice house 80 sqm furnish for 100,000 baht a year water include and tel line.

Hi Pierre,

Welcome to Expat.com.

We must agree that life is expensive everywhere around the world:)

I hope that other members will help you finding what you are searching for.

Good luck,
Harmonie.

Depends on what menu you have as well as the location for the accommodation.

Most of people find the food here is cheaper than Phuket and BKK.

pierre canada wrote:

hi,i am in phuket,can you tell me the price in chiang mai for eggs 10 or 12 pack,pork loin a kg,chiken breast a kg, mango,Because many peoples told me is it cheaper in CM.But when i look at home price for sale and for rent in CM at thai visa classified,i think is it not cheaper than phuket.I am living here for 3 years and i rent a 2 bed room nice house 80 sqm furnish for 100,000 baht a year water include and tel line.

=======
Pierre:

A decent place in Chiang Mai ...  you should probably budget around bht 15,000  a month.  Food is going up.  The Empress Buffet is still a good place to eat for 200 baht at lunch, Saichon Buffet at night is a good place to eat at 140 baht.  I am shocked at what you pay in Phuket, as the times  I went there, i found it so expensive I left in a couple days.  Tell me how to get affordable and decent places in/on Phuket.

hi cecco,for house you have to ride motorbyke around and take phone number,samething everywhere in thailand,some want rent to you to make big money and some want have a good tenant for long time.About restaurant here,it is very expensive and not very good.That is why i make my foods at home.I cant find a good pat thai here.Buffet are only thai at around 140 baht.Not bad but i am from north america and i like carot and mash potatoes.There are no good cake or cookies here in thailand.I make myself.I like thai food but not everyday.About phuket there are to many peoples here and they are creasy about driving and money.Very dangerous here on the road.Worse than everywhere in thailand.Drug and crime are up.They smiles to you only when they have something to sale.That is why i look to move outside phuket.

I think Chiang Mai offers a lot more. The people are more friendly and genuine. You have  much better quality of life but just no beaches.

What I did for a few months was rent a room in a hotel at 21,000 baht.  Before you scream, it is a nice hotel, and includes 2 free buffet breakfasts, utilities, TV, internet, laundry was 30 baht a day (washed and pressed), telephones, large room with a view, discounts on everything I bought in the hotel (if i had lunch or dinner etc).  Actually, I found it a good bargain.  I also rented a room at "the airport greenery" in Chiang Mai.  Management and staff were not good at all.  I have lived many places in Thailand.  As far as good food, in Chiang Mai, go to The Duke's Riverside. There is one in night bizarre, but the prices are 20% higher, and the owner stays at the riverside branch (main branch).

I am chiangmai'd out right now.  I had a woman I was with for over four years, but she insisted that i buy her a house, and that wasn't going to happen, so we have split .. also, i have been offered a new job, which will be elite level, and they gave her a chance to pull herself up to a level where they could trust her, but she decided not to adjust, so I want to forget Chiang Mai for awhile.  Pai is very beautiful and cheap, very cheap to live.  If you are able to stay away from the "dark side" of Thailand, Pai is an excellent choice, but if you hob nob with the "dark side" of Thailand, Pai will eat you for breakfast.  One of my favorite restaurants in Thailand is "NA's Kitchen," in Pai.  Excellent food.

Ubon Ratchathani is also a very good place to go.  Another place you might like checking out would be Nakhon Sawan (middle class to upper class chinese).

Oh, u can get a very nice house in Pai for 50,000 baht a year.  ...   Pai is worth a visit. When you get to chiang mai, call Aya 053-247-447 and they will pick you up from your guest house and take u to pai for 150 baht, if u go to a travel agent to book the price will be 180 - 250 baht.  just call them yourself.  the trip is 3-3.5 hours on a winding road most of the way. If Nok Air is flying it again, fly there.    Once you arrive Aya in Pai, rent a motor bike from Aya, including insurance. I recommend you also buy a helmet before arriving in Pai that is good quality.   There is no public transport around Pai.  But, again, if you are a bar guy, stay away from Pai as there are a lot of Lisu in Pai, about 1/2 of Pai is Lisu, and they are not the Christian Lisu. (There official rendering is "Lisu-shi" or the Thai's often call them "Lisaw")  ....  "moosure" works as does "khon paa".  but that is the big negative about Pai. 

If you would like to live in a rural setting and around the Karen, try looking at Ban Watchan, but there is little foreigner development there, although the area is quite nice, above Ban Watchan is the lisu/karen mix, and above them is a place called Ban Seow Dang (that is getting into the thick of the dark side of Asian history going back thousands of years).  Stick with the Karen if you choose a tribe with which to associate.

Thanks Ceccos.If i go to living in chiang mai,i will look a house outside the city,like san sai,i am not a bar guy but sometime with my girlfreind i like to go drink and dance.I need to stay near a big city for entertaiment.