Cost of living in Montevideo vs. Mexico

Hi,
This is my first post. I am going to retire next summer but I am going to have only about 2000 a month and am living in a beautiful old house in San Francisco...so I want to know if I can afford a nice place in Montevideo, which looks like a great city: cosmopolitan yet not too fast paced -- like SF!
I also want to do a total immersion before I come in Mexico if it
s expensive in M. as I've read.
Please give me the scoop!

Thanks,
delesseline

Hi delesseline,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will  be able to advise you.

It depends on which part of Montevideo you want to live (and how tight you could be :P).

For starters, U$S 2000 a month seems ok for most places in here (Except for expensive sites such as Pocitos, or so).

I am uruguayan, am moving with my boyfriend soon to Aguada (It is close to the Center), and we definitely have less than that. We will pay aprox. 300 in rent, water, and the building's light (Anyway, most apartments in Aguada cost 350 a month rent). And we should electricity, food, etc. And right now, we have 850 per month. Obviously, the first months we will live tightly, but that's because I'm unemployed now (Looking for something) and we should buy many things as we both lived with our parents till now.

I hope I made it clear, I tend to mix it up when I write.

Cheers!

Hi,
i live 4 years in MONTEVIDEO and i move this year.The cost of living here grows up 10%-15% every year.You need to rent a small apartement in safe place(POSITOS) which costs 700-1000 dolares per month.
1.bills
a.tv $40
b.electricity  $200
c.water $20
d.internet $50
e.gas  $40
2.live
a.gasoline $1.65 per litro
b.health  $80
c.mid restaurant $35-$50
Generaly uruguayos don't speak english and although they look friendly and polite  they are not.Their hobby is to cheat you and you never have a friend.The goods are the most expensive exept milk all over the latin america.
there is a site with price comparison
numbeo.com
Good luck

Thanks to both of you who gave me your take on cost of living. You both differed alot! I can see that I can't afford a nice place there so I am going to focus on Mexico. Thanks so much for taking the time.
Lila

its different because i am from europe.i am not from uruguay but when i came here was better and cheaper.Euro was 30 or 31 pesos uruguayos y dolar 24.5.Now dolar is 18,4 and euro 26.of course all grows up every year and our coins fall down.you have to see better the situation and if you like the place down here i meen if you like latin america its better to go in argentina.
thanos

delesseline: My wife and I are currently in Piriapolis, Uruguay. We spent 6 days in Montevideo before coming to Piriapolis and this Saturday we will travel to La Paloma for a week. We will then return to Montevideo and leave for the US on the 27th. We came here to see if we wanted to move here from our home in Florida. The answer is a resounding NO! It is very expensive! Much more than we ever thought. I have been a member of International Living for 5+ years and read everything I could get my hands on about living in South America. We have been to Argentina some years ago and enjoyed it. Though about Ecuador but it has some drawbacks that gave us reason to look further. Uruguay was touted as the safest country in the Americas'. Housing is cheap, cost of living is cheap. They have cell phones, Internet, cable TV and much more. They just don't tell you what it doesn't have! Most roads are unpaved. Major roads are nice and some 4 lane. Sidewalks in Montevideo are broken, filthy, dog poop not picked up, trash everywhere, homeless sleeping in doorways or on the street. A simple breakfast for 2 cost 270 peso ($14.36)plus tip. Lunch in Punta del Estes, $58.00 and they tell me when hi-season (Dec.Jan.Feb) comes the prices get higher. The beaches are rocky and not very clean. They allow their dogs to run and play on them and nobody cleans up after them. There are some new building and new construction going on but most buildings are old and in need of repair. I would suspect that to buy a nice house in the better part of Montevideo you would be looking at $300+. A car, forget it. The paperwork is a nightmare and will take 3-4 months. Cost is unbelievable for the car. Example, a taxi(Corolla size) cost $35,000.00 plus fees. Take 2 weeks, come look for yourself before you decide. It didn't take us that long but it was an easy decision. There are just too many things that they don't have that we have been so use to in the US. I spent 11 1/2 years overseas during my military career so living overseas is nothing new to me or my wife. We have about $10K a month to live on but there are just some things you can't get. The attitude is typical Hispanic slow so be prepared for that. Hope this gives you some insight! Good Luck!
PS: sites online you might try-Uruguaynow.com