Question for the ladies :o)

Hi so this question is for the ladies out there..is it hard to get contraceptives here aka the pill? :)

I've finally run out of my birth control pills that I brought with from Canada and I have no idea how it works here in Malta to get them.

Suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance:D

As far as I am aware, the pill is simple enough to get here, it is used for other medical purposes as well as contraception.  not sure if you have to get a prescription sent from your doctor or not but if you take your last packet, id card to your clinic and explain the situation i am sure they can sort something out. 

Or phone your doctor and get them to fax/email you a new prescription.
x

Soo easy...I don't even need a Rx for it. I just tell the pharma what I need and he gives it to me. I hear Gozo is more laid back about giving out Rx than Malta though. I can get just about anything here without a Rx. BC is much cheaper than it is in the U.S. too...Maybe in Canada it's cheap too??? I pay 22euro for a three month pack. I think I paid almost 50 bucks for 1 month and that was 7 years ago.

Yes you are right mgrima68! It is super easy. I walk past a pharmacy in Pieta on my way home from work so I stopped in, told her what I wanted and she gave it to me. No questions asked. I paid €8.50 per sheet (1 sheet = 1 month obviously). That is a little cheaper than what I paid in Canada for one month supply.

Oh...forgot to tell you Ruby...Make sure you check the expiration dates on BC pills here...For some reason the brand I get has a very short shelf life.

Ah wow you didn't even have to go to the polyclinic? That's pretty simple! Did they give you a choice of different types or just the standard Yaz? Be interesting to know if they have a mini pill

iamharibo wrote:

Ah wow you didn't even have to go to the polyclinic? That's pretty simple! Did they give you a choice of different types or just the standard Yaz? Be interesting to know if they have a mini pill

I think you have a choice. Just tell the pharmacist what brand you take...and if they dont have it but it is available in malta...they may be able to order it for you. I take Mercilon. What's the mini pill??...never heard of it. I took Yaz...didn't agree with me.

The combined pill is the normal one that contains both hormones oestrogen and progestogen. But oestrogen doesn't agree with me (ha!) so I take the mini pill which only contains progestogen. I'm not sure how cutting edge it is so I wonder if malta will have one yet!

cutting edge - malta - do those terms apply...LOL

I would love to find a cutting edge GYN doctors office...If anyone knows of one..PLEASE let me know. I've found some wonderfull female doctors but not one of them has had a proper examining room/table...I've been told that they don't exist here??? If you feel uncomfortable responding publicly to this topic...please PM me.

Hello!!!
This is the kind of forum I was looking for!
I am relatively new to Malta and divide my time between here and Wales. I was hoping to go on the pill before my next trip back to the UK in December, but don't know how to go about it. Rather than going to the pharmacy and just buying it (I assume there are different types so this could be dodgy) I'm guessing I should see a doctor here first, as it will be my first time on the pill. I have discussed it with my doctors in the UK, so have given it lots of thought. Oh btw, I'd like to be on it not for contraceptive purposes but because I suffer from PCOS. I am also considering the implant.
So basically my questions are:
a) How do I arrange to see a doctor? Do I need to register etc?
b) What good doctors are there in Gozo?
c) What will the costs be, for the consultation and the prescription? I have a Maltese Id-card and an EHIC.

All responses are appreciated.

You all do still use condoms I hope because the pill fails to do anything about disease, viruses, etc.