Can Dubai empoyers keep you in the country like in Saudi Arabia??

Hello,

My name is Melissa,I have just joined this forum as I have a specific question I would like to ask.

While researching about working in the Middle East,I was informed that on completion of a contract in Saudi Arabia by a foreign employee (European,American,Australian etc),this employee can only leave the country with the permission of the employer.I read some more information regarding this on the website- Irish Embassy in Saudi Arabia and it seemed to clarify that asnyone could be kept in the country against their will if they were unlucky enough to find an employee who would do this.

So,for now I have decided not to go to Saudi and am looking at the prospects in Dubai/or any other country in UAE.

What kind of situation is there with regards to leaving Dubai or any other country in the UAE after completion of a contract-IS IT AT THE DISCRETION OF AN EMPlOYER like in Saudi????????

It would be great if somebody could help,

Thanks!
Melissa.

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Melissa :)

I hope other members will be able to tell you more about it soon!

Regards
Armand

Hi Melissa,
In Dubai there are two types of Employment Contract Limited & Unlimited, In Limited contract the work permit is issued for two years (recently revised), so once you finished the contract with the company you have the right to choose whether to renew or cancel the contract, in unlimited contract you have the right to choose to end the contract even after completion of one year. In any contact you need the signature from the Sponsor to cancel your visa and this part will be done by the PRO/HR Department. When you choose to cancel they don't have the right to hold you in this country unless you are involved in a criminal case. You can contact the Ministry of Labour, on 800665; or MOL Dubai: +9714 7023333; they will give all the appropriate guidance.

Regards
Blesson

Ok thanks for that bcbxb,the contact number you gave will really help me as I try to find more information.

So in ALL CONTRACTS you have to stay there a mimimum of 2 years,am I correct in saying this?

I only want to stay for 1 YEAR!!!!!!!!

What do you think?

melissa19 wrote:

So in ALL CONTRACTS you have to stay there a mimimum of 2 years,am I correct in saying this?

Loada bollox

You can leave whenever you want before your contract is up.

But...if you're ever thinking of coming back, you just need to make sure that your residence visa, labour contract etc have all been closed off otherwise these f*ckers will delight in messing you around the next time.

not right .. either you or employer can end the contract with one month notice period, only thing is if visa is cancelled before contract period you will get a Ban on employment for 6 months unless its issued under a free zone, or else you need to get a NOC from the employer to choose another job. 6 months ban means you can enter Dubai as tourist but not allowed to work.

i came out of my first company after one and half years and my contract was for three years.

Just remember that, if your sponsor says they have to keep your passport, tell them to stuff it!! It's illegal under UAE Labour Law, but many (non Western people) are strong armed into it.

Don't work in the Magic Kingdom - KSA. It's an open prison where the 'warders' win hands down for hypocrisy.

Hi,

on completion of employment contract, as per uae labor law, u r free to quit the country by cancelling your contract and visa or u can elect to stay here by renewing the same.

regards,

vaheeda

melissa19 wrote:

Hello,

My name is Melissa,I have just joined this forum as I have a specific question I would like to ask.

While researching about working in the Middle East,I was informed that on completion of a contract in Saudi Arabia by a foreign employee (European,American,Australian etc),this employee can only leave the country with the permission of the employer.I read some more information regarding this on the website- Irish Embassy in Saudi Arabia and it seemed to clarify that asnyone could be kept in the country against their will if they were unlucky enough to find an employee who would do this.

So,for now I have decided not to go to Saudi and am looking at the prospects in Dubai/or any other country in UAE.

What kind of situation is there with regards to leaving Dubai or any other country in the UAE after completion of a contract-IS IT AT THE DISCRETION OF AN EMPlOYER like in Saudi????????

It would be great if somebody could help,

Thanks!
Melissa.