New guy here

I currently live in Las Vegas, NV. and due to the poor economy here, I was thinking of moving to the Ukraine. I can get there by joining the Peace Corps and after 2 years hopefully find a job and stay there.
So I'm looking for some tips and advice.
Thanks, PJ

Hi pjsmustang,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you get replies very soon.

Hello,

If I understand you correctly, you want to move to Ukraine because the economy is bad in US. I also get (if I am not mistaken) that you will have a job for the first two years (a job in Ukraine) and after that you hope to find other work in the country.

I see a few flaws with that. First of all Ukraine right now is experiencing an economic crisis even greater than that in America. If you have a peace corp job in one of the major cities in Ukraine, getting paid no less than $700 / month - you might be OK for the first few years. However, your ability to find work after that will be exttreamly limited, especially not speaking the language (if you are not fluent in Ukrainian or Russian). The average monthly net income in Ukraine's larger cities is $250-400/. In the capital it is about $400-600/ month. I underline that to get those salaries one would probably have to be a mid-level professional, with working knowledge of English and fluent Russian and with at least 3 years of experience in his/ her field.

You must also take into consideration expected living expenses. The rent in Kiev is about $400 on the outskirts and $700 downtown for a studio appartment. In other big cities it ranges from $300-400 depending on the area. Food cost abouth the same as in US. The price of gasoline is $3-4/per galon. Add to that the general state of conditions in Ukraine: Corruption is a way of life - you would have to bribe everyone everywhere from your family doctor to the local tax official if you open you own business. Factor into that the prevalent show off behavior of ukrainian people - and there you will feel like nobody unless you wear rolex and gucchi.

I could go on and on, mention the falling appart infractructure, the lack of economic reforms, the absence of any movement towards greater EU integration...the fact that the leader had spent time in prison...twice.

I know - it is not the advice you expected...but better advice like this then broken dreams while living off your last savings in Ukraine

my advice: stay in Nevada

If USA is a poor country (lol) I don't know how to qualify Ukraine………

I agree with oleggy and simbaregained: stay home!

ok all the replys 2 your post seem 2 put you aboard the titanic mate!
there is 1 way you could come 2 live here in ukraine after or during your peace corps work
get yourself a gorgeous village woman which hopefully comes with a rent free dacha, learn how 2 look after pigs/cows/chickins/ect/ect/ plus growing vegetables
then with a little side work, ie cash in hand i think you could live here quite easily mate!
think positive if thats what you want in life
myheart2ukraine

I absolutely agree with that the only way for one to make it in Ukraine is to go to a small village and to settle for a rural life. The problem is that when coming to the country many expats have a very different idea of what life there will be like. Many think that living in a newly "cosmopolitanized and westernized" cities will not be too expensive, while job opportunities for Brits, Americans and other Westeners with foreighn language skills will abound. I know for a fact that is how hundreds and may be even thousands are burned every year while trying to  make it in a place that simply is not meant to be tried like that.

myheart2ukraine wrote:

ok all the replys 2 your post seem 2 put you aboard the titanic mate!
there is 1 way you could come 2 live here in ukraine after or during your peace corps work
get yourself a gorgeous village woman which hopefully comes with a rent free dacha, learn how 2 look after pigs/cows/chickins/ect/ect/ plus growing vegetables
then with a little side work, ie cash in hand i think you could live here quite easily mate!
think positive if thats what you want in life
myheart2ukraine

I want to thank everyone. Its opened my eyes a little.
I had heard that the Ukraine was going to be a developing nation, with plans to join the EU. That's what got me to thinking.
While I don't expect to live in a 420sm house or drive a big car, I also didn't expect that the living wages were low over there or the cost of living in general.
If I were to join the peace corps, its a two year commitment, the first 3 months are dedicated to learning the language,customs and in general getting to know the area. After that they put you somewhere teaching english or working on community development. The only problem with that is, after your two years, they give $8000 and a plane ticket home. So I would have nothing really to show for it, other than a good understanding of other's way of life.
  Here in the U.S. I live in a state with the highest unemployment. I lost my good job 2 years ago because the company said it could make its products cheaper in China. Thus raising their profit margin. Its all about the greed. I'm 53 and when I apply for jobs, it seems like interviewers take one look at my gray hair and think to themselves, " this guy gonna raise our insurance rates, if he can do the job." So I have to compete with younger people.
The unemployment rate here in the U.S. is the highest its been since the Great Depression of the 30's. And it seems all the jobs are overseas.
So I was thinking of going somewhere, where the lifstyle is a little slower, more relaxed and not difficult.
I have friends in the U.K. and I'd like to live there, but their ecomomy is worse than ours. I will go visit this Sep. if I can.

Again thanks. Its been informative. Of course finding a beautiful girl and becoming a farmer?   MMMM I wonder?

The is much truth in what people say here. I have been living in
Ukraine off and on for several years. It is easier if you have a Ukrainian girl but she should be bilingual. I really don't know the language and have lived here up to one year at a time witout
going back to the U.S. My wife is Ukrainian and I have retirement pay. So that makes a difference. We live in ukraines 5 or 6th largest city of about 700,000 plus people. If you have a woman here she may own her own place but I have seen 1 BR  apartments for $125.00 u.s. and above with a full bath and kitchen. In Zaporizhzhia there are many medical students from foreign countries who speak English from the local med school.
You do not need a car here. Most of the people are quite helpful and friendly but there is some corruption.It is also a step back in time on several levels. The medical care is free but no computers generally unless you go to a private practitioner also it is good to get your dental work done here very reasonably. There are some very professional dental clinics here with great equipment from the Germany,Korea and the U.S.