May be moving to Mexico

There is a likelihood that I'll be moving to Mexico in the next few months.
What are the employment issues/difficulties I am likely to come across eg visas, cultural mixes in the workplace, acceptance of Europeans?
I'll be working in the oil and gas sector so likely to be offshore most of the time anyway, but would appreciate any pointers to make it a smooth transition.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim!

Welcome to Expat.com!
I hope other members will be able to advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

I will be doing the opposite… move to Clydebank, by the way.

As far as I know, as long as you have a job offer the visa process is straightforward. There are many Europeans and American/Canadians working in Mexico.

Cultural acceptance of Europeans is high (people will assume you are American until you open your mputh). However, do not expect people to understand your accent easily. Mexicans are used to the American accent.

Goid luck,

David

Getting a visa in Mexico is pretty straight forward.  If you get a job offer from a company they will usually sponsor you, meaning that they will assist you int he legal documents.

When you fly here you will get a tourist visa with your plane ticket that is actually valid for 6 months, which gives you more than enough time to square away a work visa.

The only thing I would say about the visa process here is the immigration department here seems to run kind of back asswards. Like any government office, not the most efficient but compared to my experience in the USA the wheels here seem to turn pretty slow.  Just need a little patience.

culturally I think you will be fine.  I live in Cancun but every Mexican City is going to be different.  I know here there are a lot of expats here and we are all pretty well accepted.  I work from home so I am not familiar with the employment situation at all.

Craig