New Expat

Hi. My name is Jeff and my family and I have just relocated to Pärnu from the U.S. My wife is a native Estonian and I am a U.S. citizen  We will be here for 2-3 years and as Pärnu does not seem to have a thriving expat community... I am interested in connecting with other expats throughout Estonia.

Thanks
Jeff

Welcome to Expat.com Jeff :)

Thanks Julien. I hope to be able to connect with more expats in Estonia soon.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

My name is Chris, originally from Florida, graduated college in Kansas, and my dad is also from Texas (ladonia) northeast of dallas about 100 mi.

What type of work brings you to Estonia? I am a Marketing and Sales manager for a semiconductor company in Tartu.

Welcome to Estonia! Parnu is my favorite city here in Estonia, but I do not live there. Tartu is a really nice place.

Shoot me an email [email protected] to connect
I am not familiar with very many Americans here either.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Jeff and Chris!

My name is Karl and I am originally from North Carolina.  I have now been living in Estonia for one year and have been working as the manager of Padise mõis, just 50 km from Tallinn towards Haapsalu.  I spend half of my time living in Padise and then half my time living in an apartment in Tallinn. 

I noticed over the year that there are quite many Americans in Estonia and have met a few through Internations meetings in Tallinn. 

I am also interested in connecting with other Americans.  I even spoke with someone the other day that said there was an American Football club somewhere in Estonia??

Anyways I think it would be great to start moving towards getting a meet up of some Americans living in Estonia at some point. 

My thought was that since July 4th is coming up, maybe we have a chance to have a small meet up somewhere that weekend.  The American Chamber of Commerce is having their annual 4th of July cookout in Tallinn on that Monday but the weekend before that maybe we could organize something in Tallinn or I even thought about renting a grill and having a 4th of July weekend BBQ at Padise mõis.  Make some real burgers (ie without secret sauce and cabbage!).  My girlfriend is now in the US for a few weeks and I am having her bring back some baseball gloves, baseballs, a football and some more American things (maybe some Kraft singles for the burgers too.....)to really do the 4th right!

Let me know what you think and I will reach out to some other American contacts in Estonia and see if they would be interested in a gathering over that weekend.

My email is [email protected]

All the best!

-Karl von Ramm

Hey Karl,

That sounds great! I will be in the area, although I cannot guarantee I will make it for a weekend cookout.

July 1st not too far from Haapsalu is Hard Rock Laager (big heavy metal fest). I will be there for the weekend to Sunday (July 3). I have not decided if I will drive my car there or carpool with my girlfriend and her family, who are all going as well.

I possibly have been to padise... Actually i have been to a lot of manors around here, but is padise the one with an old fortress and a tower that you can climb to the top of? Is that where you work?

Actually I would love some real cheeseburgers with kraft cheese. I must admit, it shouldn't go bad during the flight back to Estonia... because of how much we Americans process our cheeses :D.

Its nice to meet you and we can correspond via e-mail as well.

ALSO! BTW... There is a baseball league in Estonia.. http://www.baseball.ee/

check it out, there is like 3 teams.

Hi Chris,

Yes exactly!  That is Padise, the one with the monastery ruin and the tower you can climb up.  I am managing there now.

Heavy metal festival eh?  That sounds pretty awesome, if it were not for work I would most certainly like to check that out!  I got to see Megadeth and Metsatöll last year play in the Castle in Haapsalu, that was tremendous.

Thanks for the info on the baseball league, I am going to check it out.

Well it is nice to meet you and maybe we can set up a plan for American expats sometime later in the year!

All the best,

Karl