All-in-one printers & tower fans

Can anyone direct me to the best place (best selection) to find a wireless all-in-one (multifunction) printer?  I'm looking for an HP or Cannon brand.

Also, looking for a 'tower' fan to help breeze the flat - just back in town and noticed the breeze has slowed way down and we do not have central ac.  :/  I've seen numerous osculating fans and am not against them but would like to evaluate my options before settling on something.

And one last question if I may...  Does anyone have any info on purchasing items from Amazon.com (better US, GE, or UK site)?  Have you done it?  What price point/type of item?  How long did it take to get here? What were the customs procedures and cost?  I haven't been able to find any solid information, everything is very vague...

Thanks a ton!! :thanks:
Jennifer

I bought a good wireless HP printer from Scan computers in Iklin.  scanmalta.com/ They have a good selection and good staff.

sorry, forgot to add: I bought some items from Amazon UK.  I just marked it as a gift and so did not have to deal with customs...gift to myself!  It arrived pretty quick and the postage wasn't too bad.  I think it was around £10 and I bought a slow cooker and an ipod docking station (quite a large box).  It still worked out alot cheaper than buying them here in malta.  Hope that helps!  It came with fedex, not malta post.

I got an HP wireless printer/copier/scanner from amazon.co.uk (shipped from Germany) - back in January...at the time I did some price comparison shopping and it was considerably cheaper than anything I could find locally (scan have the same items today at €109 - http://www.scanmalta.com/eshop/index.ph … &x=20&y=16)

Amazon.co.uk items (Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.):

1  HP Deskjet 3050 All-in-One...   £33.41               1   £33.41

Dispatched via Deutsche Post DHL (estimated arrival date: February 02, 2011).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Item Subtotal:     £28.31
                  Delivery and handling:      £6.93
                                    VAT:      £6.35

Total:     £41.59

There are no customs implications getting anything from any EU country.

Tim

When ordering stuff inside EU you don't have to pay import taxes. So no need to declare as a gift when ordering from amazon.co.uk,play.com,etc...

Not everything you see on amazon websites can be shipped to Malta - mostly it's only stuff they provision themselves...anything from one of their marketplace affiliaets often will not ship outside their home country :(

Tim

Wow guys, thanks for the quick replies - very helpful!!  :top:

I'll look into Amazon.uk then thanks for the info!

Jennifer

klikk

Much to my dismay, I am finding it VERY hard to order stuff to be delivered to Malta.

Play.com no problem - EVER
Amazon - haven't tried yet.

Everyone else  -  don't seem to think Malta exists!!!  Or at least won't acknowledge it and send stuff here.  Extremely frustrating.
:o

Re FANS - not sure of prices but a place on the industrial at Attard has loads of fans, just picked up floor standing fans at 10.50 each.  Bargain.xx:D  There were some tower type but can't remember prices.

Play.com is good for the things they ship to Malta, but not everything on their site is eligible:

"Free delivery outside of the UK

Products eligible
DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, games, books, clothing and sports equipment are eligible for delivery outside of the UK. Unfortunately, we cannot deliver electronics, personal computers, gadgets, or mobile phones outside of the UK."

and then if you try, when you get to the checkout you get:

"Electronic items, gadgets and toys can only be delivered to UK addresses."

:(

Tim

me3512 wrote:

klikk

Klikk wanted about €50 for a Wii UK power adapter and they would have to order it because they didn't have it in stock. Instead, I got a brand new one from ebay.co.uk with shipping for £5 in less than a week.

None of my work colleagues (who are all Maltese and IT) buy anything from either Scan or Klikk unless they absolutely need it now and those stores have it in stock. It was one of the first things they warned me about when I joined the company!

I did buy an HDMI cable from Scan once - the price was OK and I wanted to watch TV that night so I didn't want to wait for a delivery.

Tim

About a year ago i wanted to buy a Plasma tv and the price here was 899euros - I found the same one on amazon for £423 plus £23 shipping so ordered it.

It took 2 days to get to Frankfurt, then 4 days to get to Valetta, then 17 days to get to Mellieha (15miles or so). I queried the delivery with malta post offices and customs and was told to come down to their offices and inspect the package as there was some slight damage to the box. As I had ordered home delivery i told them to deliver it...when i opened the box the screen was completely smashed, the pacKing inside was smashed and some was missing (i.e. it didnt restrict movement inside the box.....) and the outer sleeve wAs not secure either.

to be fair i raised the issue with amazon and they immediately made the refund.....no problem but was told they shouldnt be delivering to malta for this very reason.

In the end had to pay close to 1000euros for a similar tv. here in malta as i couldnt trust the delivery from the UK...via Malta customs.

I Find that Compunet in Mosta is a decent supplier of IT goods and the only supplier I beleive of the IPAD in Malta.... if you want to spend that much money that is.... Although i do beleive that because they are an Epson Business Centre they can only sell Epson Printers.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

i couldnt trust the delivery from the UK...via customs.

When we moved here form the USA all our shipped belongings had to clear through Customs and we went there to pick them up...it was a Friday afternoon, but there was a party going on in the Customs dock where our boxes were...literally a bunch of guys sitting around drinking beer! These were the warehouse workers who drive the forklifts etc., not the Customs Agents who were very professional...but it makes you wonder what goes on there!

Tim

Funnily enough we read somewhere that the two worst places for deliveries getting lost stolen or damaged were Italy and......wait for it .......Malta....shame they have got such a bad name.

We just got back from a short break to Sicily and we were immediately approached on the return trip by an agent in Catania airport requesting us to use the polythene cling film baggage wrapping service for our own security - like they already knew that baggage there got tampered with.....

SHAMEFUL.

ON THE MATTER OF THE TV I ORDERED WE EVEN TOOK FOTOS OF ALL THE DAMAGE AND THE PACKING AS PROOF FOR AMAZON AND THESE WERE POSTED ON THE AMAZON FEEDBACK SITE.

i do have to say i have ordered smaller items of satellite and I.T equipment from both  amazon Uk and amazon italy - no problem.

there is another site that i found who will deliver to malta...when i find it in my list i will post it

My wife's parents sent a box of Christmas presents for our kids... never ever turned up and of course in their naivety they didn't use a trackable service. Of course, it's impossible to know where those presents ended up...but I have my suspicions.

Tim

christmas father had a wail of a time here in malta ,,,lol

this was the site that delivers to malta

simplyelectronics.net/

Thanks again guys for the input.  I'm happy to report that we have successfully ordered and received our new Canon Mx870 and it works like a dream!  :)  The seller on Amazon.uk wouldn't ship to Malta so I hit the Italy site and no problem.  It arrived about 7 days after the initial order day! 

Sorry to hear about your tv toonarmy - wow, that would devastate my husband!  Glad Amazon made it right.  I'll check out the new site you mentioned, thanks.

We were so happy with the experience we have actually just ordered a tower fan from Amazon.uk - scheduled to arrive July 1 - (fingers crossed please!)

Jennifer

well done and glad you got the kit