Is there a "best" time to come in the next 7-8 weeks?

I have been living in Riyadh for the past year and would like to get to Kuwait.  Is there an optimal time to visit in the coming 7-8 weeks? I know that it will be hot and it's not recommended to visit in the summer, but I would like to visit for two main reasons: to get a change of pace from Riyadh/see a new place and to try to have some success shopping.  Specifically, I would like to get a nice pair of black pants for work, a nice belt, and a nice messenger/similar style bag for work.  Beyond that, I have other shopping wishes, but those are the main priorities.  I have not had success finding things I like in Riyadh, and prices (I hear) are cheaper in Kuwait.  Is there any prior knowledge of sales coming up in Kuwait?

What do you recommend for sightseeing? My Arabic is extremely minimal (unfortunately), so things that require use of that language probably aren't great.  Any suggestions for days of the week to visit? Also, SAPTCO told me, the last time I used its website, that no buses exist for any of the cities listed.  That's obviously not true.  Does anyone know/recommend a Riyadh-Kuwait bus? Are they only a few times per week or more frequent?

Many thanks in advance for all input.

Hi Allons,

Sales are on now and will continue until end of the month!
I think the guys will be more helpful to where you can shop but
If you need a fashion advice let me know :)

And yeah… Be aware of the heaaaat!!!

You can find these things here but i recommend you to go to Dubai .You will have fun there. Here weather is terrible.

Hi there,

Nice to hear a tourist passing by, and not only work-related queries :cool: Having worked in Riyadh myself, I know a bit of where you'r coming from.

There are a number of places/malls to visit that can easily fill a 3 to 4 days trip. Because of the heat, you'll probably end up indoors most of the time! So, Saudi weekends are Thu/Fri, and in Kuwait Fri/Sat, which you can use to your benefit as an extended Thu to Sat trip! Known malls are: Avenues, Marina, 360, Sharq Mall, and a few more. (yes, bachelors can also visit the malls during the weekend).

Although I'm not aware of any bus lines Riyadh/Kuwait, distance by car itself is around 7 to 8 hours, depending on the speed, so a bus trip might take a bit longer. I would strongly suggest just taking a plane, as this is the best way to travel (45-min flight only). My advice would be to check out Jazeera airlines, book yourself for a 3 day trip and off you go for good change of scenery! For lodging, you can rent a simple furnished apartments up to 5-star hotels, so go to booking.com and compare the rates.

Back to your main objective: I think you'll get high success rate on the shopping, there are a number of sales going on now... with a fashion-advisor in this group as well! :P

good luck!

Thanks for the replies, especially the very informative last one! I will see if it's possible for me to get to Kuwait in the coming weeks, though it doesn't appear that I will be able to have as much time as I want off of work.  In fact, it seems that I am stuck with either a weekend-only trip in June or else an extended stay (5 days max) in July.  Would the end of sales once July begins make prices in Kuwait similar to what I see in Riyadh or would it still be worthwhile to be in Kuwait in July from a shopping point of view?

Thanks in advance for any replies to my latest question :)

the usual shopping time in kuwait would have to be halla february, given that it is summer, and new fashions have most likely come out, last summers stock will probably be flying off the racks @ deeply discounted prices. the thing about kuwait and sales is theres not really a specific time where one can say this is the best season for discounts (other than febuary ofcourse), as most of the time, when trolling around the aforementioned malls of kuwait, a myriad of shops hang the sign of "Discounts up to __%", rest assured once u arrive here, u will definitely find some places with discounts.

name a few shops, or name a few items of interest, and im sure the ladies of the blog would be more than happy to share prices (just remember to multiply by 12 for the riyals price) or share a few of the prices over there atm for an item and check it here.

places like bershka, zara etc. will have similar prices (coz the price tag has the price in all GCC countries), so the only difference would be the discounts, if any :)

maybe in august once ramadan hits there may be discounts?

as for buses, the only service of buses i know are the ones taht avail from kuwait to saudi for oumra, and like bhaas said, i wouldnt recommend it. fly, its easier and much more relaxing and enjoyable.

u have to keep in mind that shops have discounts to liven up sales, and since this is the time of vacations, and most people will be going back home with a few gifts and momentos etc, it wouldnt be worth their while to have discounts nowadays. its just like airlines always charging more during the weekend than on weekdays (peak load pricing).

and also, like Moo said, Dubai is more of a retail environment, but border-wise, yes, Kuwait is a closer bet, if u were in Dammam, it'd be a mere 3-hr drive. Riyadh however :/