Australian wanting to move to Vancouver

Hi all,

I am an Australian (early 30's) who is thinking about relocating for a few years to Canada (Vancouver being my first choice).

Can any other Australians out there advise the best way to go about it? Is sponsorship for employment easy to gain prior to arrival? I work in a professional HR capacity and would ideally like to further increase my skills in similar positions.

Any information (no matter how small) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stacey.

Hi Stacey,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

You may view the "life in Canada" guide.

I wish you good luck
Christine

I'd come here (Vancouver) for an extended holiday first just to see if it's the place for you. If you love skiing and the outdoors it's a great place to live, but if you're expecting a fun vibrant city like Melbourne or Sydney look elsewhere. Canada is popular with Under 30's as the working holiday Visa is ridiculously easy to obtain. As you have just missed the cut off I'd personally recommend moving to the US on an E3 Visa or Europe. The cost of living in Vancouver vs average income is crazy so it's almost impossible to save money, my partner and I were on great money in the London & Melbourne and took massive pay cuts when we moved to Vancouver (No Fun City). If I was doing it all over again I'd probably brave the weather and head east to either Montreal or Toronto.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Pete

Dude, unless you speak French and, you are ready to be humiliated on a daily bases for being Anglo-Saxon or have any connection with the British or Commonwealth, my suggestion is, stay away from Montreal and Quebec!
As for the East side of Canada, perhaps try your luck in Toronto or even Ottawa.
Good luck = )

Hi all,

Considering the date of this trend, I'm not even sure it is still active. Nevertheless, I leave my message.

I am an Australian planning to move to Vancouver, Canada. I am considering finding a job with sponsorship to be eligible for a fast-track permanent residency. I have a few main questions.

1.    How do you find jobs as an Architect/BIM manager in Vancouver? Is there any online job-seeking website in Canada, like SEEK.com in AUS?

2.    Are employers willing to hire and sponsor Australians, specifically in the architecture, construction, and BIM management areas?

3.    Does anybody know how to move and work from Australia to Canada/Vancouver?

Thank you,

Adam