New member greetings

Greetings everyone.

I am moving out there to Chaing Mai with my family next year. We are starting up a little business out there and my wife's family is helping us out a bit. My wife and her family are from Chaing Mai.

What I don't have and what they cant help me with is the huge life change this is going to be for me. With the loss of family, friends and hobbies, I will pretty much be starting from scratch and looking for new friends and hobbies.

I would welcome any suggestions on what a fella can look forward to there. Hobbies, social groups, things of interest. I like games, parties, adventure, and good conversation. At 40 years old, I can still chase a ball around or go rafting or be social.

Thanks,
Frost

Welcome to Chiang Mai Frost,

Keep smiling, then you will have many friends. There are a many interest groups, clubs, sport and social groups.

Chiang Mai people are very friendly.

Thank you. I hope to be smiling a lot. I look forward to finding out what all those groups are like.

Also, can anyone recommend a Thai language software suite for me?

Firstly the integrating group calls Chiang Mai Friends Group chiangmaifriends.org This is a positive and good hearted foreigners and Thais who do the activities in environment and cross-cultural education.

Chiang Mai Expats Club, Informal Northern Thai Group, Gymkhana Club for golfers.

If you wanna learn about Buddism, you can join the monk chat at Suan Dok Temple.

A club for golfers. That's definitely going to be something I look into. Thank you for all your suggestions.

I am on a video conference with my wife's family in Chaing Mai right now. I love technology.

Peter

Yeh,

Chiang Mai is not away from home with the technology. There will be more and more easier in the near future with the Chiang Mai Creative City Project.

Chiang Mai Creative City is an initiative to put in place the foundations, people, connections, marketing and infrastructure to develop and promote Chiang Mai as an internationally known city of creativity and innovation.
A collaborative effort between Chiang Mai's universities, private sector companies and associations, local government and government agencies, as well as community groups, the initiative aims to develop the creative industries in Chiang Mai, including IT, software, and digital content, but also embraces urban, green and social development.

Boong,

How does one get involved with that collaboration? I am an entertaining thoughts of working with the government on some level already with opening a business there in Chaing Mai. Maybe I can be part of this collaboration.

Thanks,
Peter

You can contact them on their website. creativechiangmai.com

Hi Frost,  What type of business are you starting?

All the best
Geoff

Geoff, I'm opening up a nursery/preschool. We have a couple edges that will make our business top of the line there in Chaing Mai. Hopefully the parents of the children will agree..

Funny thing. One of my problems that I have yet to really address is how I am going to populate the classes with at least one native English speaker. I am investigating ways of hiring form the states, but having ex-pats work there is a superior idea.

It's still a year off. Construction has yet to begin.

Peter

You can hire from Ajarn.com page dedicated exclusively for teachers around or wanting to teach in Thailand.

What a fun site. Thank you LuisF.