Cost of living in Sandton

Hi,

Can someone guide me on the monthly expenditure (middle class standards) for a family of 3 (with one kid) considering:

1. A 2 BD rented apartment (in Sandton)
2. A rented car (mid size)
3. Schooling for a 4 year old child
4. Food expenses
5. Misc expenses (Electricity, Water, etc)
6. Telephone, Internet expense

I plan to relocate with family in July this year. Please assist with your understanding/experience of this market.

regards
Raj

Raj,

I am also moving to Johannesburg in next 40 days and got some details, like a 2 BHK would cost somewhere 8000 - 10500 R. Car depends, what do you buy, INR - 7 -9 Lakhs, rest of the things would cost 60 % -70 % more, compare to Dehli or Bangalore.

and check another site for further details.

expatforum.com/expats/south-africa-expat-forum-expats-living-south-africa/79797-safty-expats-family-johannesburg.html

Lila Mehta

hey delhiite, am moving to jburg 2, in nxt 45 days from delhi. did a lot of reserch NUMBEO is the best and most updated site, try it

Lila

do you guys have some idea of the tax structure, what kind of tax I would end up paying.

any idea on the bedford center area , i plan to stay in apartment there

br

raghu

Lieberlucky wrote:

Raj,

I am also moving to Johannesburg in next 40 days and got some details, like a 2 BHK would cost somewhere 8000 - 10500 R. Car depends, what do you buy, INR - 7 -9 Lakhs, rest of the things would cost 60 % -70 % more, compare to Dehli or Bangalore.

and check another site for further details.

expatforum.com/expats/south-africa-expat-forum-expats-living-south-africa/79797-safty-expats-family-johannesburg.html

Lila Mehta

hi all,
i am also planning to move to SA Johannesburg.
I just wanted to how safe is the place to live
or which is the safe place to live in

hi there,
May i ask all of you a question please, i have a beautiful property for sale 30 Ha with a home, excellent staff, plenty borehole water and 2 cross runways for light aircraft and the most majestic views. Its in Hartbeespoort about 45minutes from Sandton.
We are also selling a very lucrative cleaning business.
My question is could anyone give me some advice on how and where to advertise or promote it in your country? I would be most grateful thank you.

With regards to your interest.
Sandton is a very good area,central with public transport and safe, look at gumtree.co.za and you can find accommodation.
The same goes for theBedfordview area, i just dont know about public transport there.

Regards
Heather

Hello Vishrut,Raj,Lilla & Singh,
Hope you folks are enjoying your stay here in Jo'Burg. I feel it will be difficult for those who have kids(Not toddlers).

In fact I had moved here in End of Dec with plans to move my family here but now things seems to be going slow. My wife and kids are coming to take a look and then they will decide whether to pack up or to go back.

Me and my wife have done fair bit of R&D and things are not as attractive as it sounds to start with. Great weather and Climate but then you can't take a walk outside your complex. It's not safe. Even the house in complex is not safe. When you are driving then it's not safe to drive with windows down. You have to keep the aircon on with windows pulled up.

Basic necessity like Telecom, Insurance, Banking, Schooling etc are exorbitant for the value they deliver compared to developed or developing countries. Buying assets here is a good idea but then getting rid of them is a very long drawn process.

Hey Rajnish,

I agree with u. The cost of living in sandton compared to India is way too much. so u need a good package. insurance, gym, internet, cable tv and mobile r damn expensive.
as far as day to day exp is concerned u have to be smart and buy things from right stores file game, pick and pay, spar on promotion and local markets in fordsburg and randburg by doing this u can decrease the monthly food/etc exp by 20% :)

Then you can't take a walk outside your complex. It's not safe. Even the house in complex is not safe. When you are driving then it's not safe to drive with windows down. You have to keep the aircon on with windows pulled up:- is true i agree but in the compaex it should be same bro

Hi

Currently i am not in SA. I have move to SA in July, i am appointed in ESKOM as Senior quality engineer. i have been provide accommodation may be on sandton, sunninghill or kyalami estate.

please let me know how is life in johannesburg like social,foods & safety.

Apart this can provide me your telephone or mobile no. if i wish to call you for any help.

Prahlad Thakur
+91 9584648145

Hi Thakur,
Sandton and Sunninghill are both good. U get all types of food items u get in india but ofcourse it is much more expensive. Social life is also fine but u will have to join a gym for sure and go about 3-4 times a week. Sandton area is safe vs other locations but u have to exercise precautions for sure. cant walk aroung on roads ( specially in nights)   driving anytime is ok nice roads

Hi Everyone,

I am the latest in joining the Johannesburg bandwagon. I am from Gurgaon, India.

I am exploring a job opportunity in hospitality sector based in Joburg. I am 32 and will move with my wife and 3.5 years old son.

I would like to have your comments on following -

* How safe will be Illovo / Sandton area for accomodtion? (office will be in Illovo)

* How much I should provision towards monthly cost - accomodation, transport, food, grocery, service (electricity, gas, garbage, internet, TV etc), mobile, school?

* How much I can save if pre-tax salary is around US$ 10,000 pm

Anyother information life medical cost / insurance, bank account, visa, tax etc will be helpful aswell.

Look forward to hear from you all.

Thank You & Regards

Govind Mundra
+91 99998 68727

hi mundragovind,

$ 10k without tax is fine. there are tax slabs from 18% going up to 40%. so approx 30% should be ur tax hit
over all its safe but nee to be a little careful and not show off.
sandton is very nice and the most secure place i have seen till now
where in gurgaon r u working. I was with Coke Gurgaon..nice to know people coming here from gurgaon

for living expense i can tell u in detial based on ur preference.

Vishrut,
+27 726923283

/