Moving to Manila

Hello everyone,
My family and I should be moving to Manila sometime in the next month or so. I would appreciate any tips or advise as to the life there.
* Are there any good preschools there? I have a 2.5 year old boy.
* Is there anything which is realy hard to get there? Such as medicine, clothes, or specific food?
(for example, we were living in India and I could not get a non skinny jeans, dry fruits or pine nuts! these sort of things... :D )

Is there any point of bringing long clothes?
Anything else which you would think is relevant for a first move, will be welcome!

Many thanks in advance!
Dana

Hi and welcome to the forum Dana!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi, my hubby is moving to Manila in July and my boy (2+ yrs) and I will move in Sept. I visited the country in March before I decided to move.
I'm looking for a preschool too but most probably I'll ask my hubby's colleague for opinion.

As for skinny jeans you can get it in any shopping mall in makati city and most pinoys are very skinny.
Actually you can get things quite easily....

Leaving soon....

Dana2812 wrote:

Hello everyone,
My family and I should be moving to Manila sometime in the next month or so. I would appreciate any tips or advise as to the life there.
* Are there any good preschools there? I have a 2.5 year old boy.
* Is there anything which is realy hard to get there? Such as medicine, clothes, or specific food?
(for example, we were living in India and I could not get a non skinny jeans, dry fruits or pine nuts! these sort of things... :D )

Is there any point of bringing long clothes?
Anything else which you would think is relevant for a first move, will be welcome!

Many thanks in advance!
Dana

This post might be moot by now.  Here's my advice:

I think 2.5 years is a bit young for preschool.  Nursery usually starts at 3.5 years.  When my son was 3, I signed him up for a trial class, and he wanted nothing of it. But then again, all children are different. A year later, he was well adjusted, and missed school when it's cancelled due to heavy rains.  Tuition fee for preschool ranges from Php30k to 130k, or even more, depending on where you enroll him.   

For now, you might want to enroll your little one in toddler classes which are offered at some montessories and schools.  You can also sign him up for short-term classes at places like Gymboree.  If you have friends that have kids the same age, try setting up a playgroup. 

I recommend getting your little boy a good nanny who can speak in English.  Nannies are not expensive in the Philippines.  She can help teach your little boy his numbers, letters, shapes, etc., and read to him too.

You might be able to find pine nuts here.  Dried fruits are available, but they are overpriced.  Those that are imported from the US are sold here 2x to 3x what they cost in the US.  You might want to stock up on your favorite trail mixes and power / fruit bars.

Bring your little one's toys.  And maybe buy some that are for a higher age level.  Fisher Price toys here are expensive.  For example, my son's FP Stride-to-Ride Lion which I bought on sale for US$25, and is regularly priced at $40, is over $100 here.  A large wooden bead maze which retails in the US for around $45 is sold for $100 here.  You might find children's books from bargain books stores.  But they're usually used or published by book clubs, not by original publisher.  Looking for a particular title is difficult.

Stock up too on cotton clothes and underwear / undergarments for the family, and get also a few sizes up for your son.  Sure you can get them here.  But the ones with the same quality as in the US are expensive. Some at the forum suggested getting bed sheets and pillow covers.  You do not need comforters.

OTC meds that I was not able to find here: Neosporin, Tylenol PM, Nyquil.  Hydrocortisone is  way overpriced.  A small 2" tube is around $2.50 here.

It's difficult to find certain books at local bookstores.  You can order them online through amazon.  But if you do not like the wait for shipping / delivery, I would recommend getting a Kindle. 

It's hot in the Philippines.  I wear short-sleeved or sleeveless clothes most of the time.  Light clothing is the general norm here.  But if you're going to work in an office, say in Makati, or for formal gatherings, bring a few of your long sleeved dress shirts / blouses, and two or three business suits.

You might want to consider buying some comfortable earplugs.  It can get noisy at night, or for any time of the day for that matter, from street vendors to karaoke singing.

hi dana,

Actually all you need is now here in Manila.