Newbie with LOTS of questions

Hi Everyone, this is my first time on this blog and I'm hoping that all of you that are experts in the art of expat living can help me with all my questions.
We are moving to Abha and I don't seem to be able to get much info about expats living there. I know that there is a compound in Khamis which is close by. My husband has worked in Abha before when he was a bachelor so he's very calm about the whole move....but I'm not. (after all he'll be off to work everyday and I'll be picking the pieces up at home!)
Firstly...from what I have read so far it is better to live on a compound...is that true?
And what should we bring with from home? I'm thinking of all the toys etc. which are important to my kids, my son is about to get a bike for his 4th birthday and we can't exactly leave that behind can we!
Could I bring a bible in or is that a no no?
Can you talk to the men, for instance to ask something in a shop or for directions?
From what age does school start at the international schools?
Would I be able to come home for Christmas?
My sons both get croup, can I take the nebulizer and solution on board the plane? (and talking about flying...what on earth do you do with two small kids on a plane?...any tips?)
Sorry for all the random questions, I'm writing whatever pops into my mind which is a bit haphazard at the best of times!
What do Women do all day, I'm terrified of being stuck at home all day and getting bored out of my mind.

So, if anyone out there can answer some of these questions I'll be very happy, and it would be great to chat to someone from Abha.

Hi 3J's&aD!

I hope other members will be able to help you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi there 3Js, and welcome to the forum!
lets go thru your qs one by one:

1. yes, it is better for expats to live in compounds, since it dos help out in your social life.
2. you can bring whatever you would require. just make sure that there is no alcohol/pork in the eatables. Everything else will go through. toys, you cna get them right here, but if you think you have to get them from there, just be wary of the weight limitations on the flight.
3. A bible, it is permissible i think if it is a small one.
4. I dont think you will be put in a situation where you will have to talk to men, but then if you are, they usually dont mind, but then you should be able to speak arabic.
5. 4/5 I think is the age for the kids to join the schools, but then different schools have different age regulations.
6. I am pretty sure that you can fly home any time you want provided that you will be able to get a exit re entry and the flight tickets.
7. Tips for children on planes, keep them busy, get some games, and stuff,and yes I am sure medication will be allowed through
8. Wht do women do.. something I am sure lots of other people here would be able to help you out with. :)

Cheers!

Hi 3js and a d , sorry not sure of the area you are going to, but can give you a few pointers in other areas, Red Goblin has given some helpful advice but he is a young Indian MAN, so some things he wouldnt know. Life on a compound is great for young families as its on tap friends, and a pool and play area too, through the children as usual you will find your friendship group too and hook up with other ladies with similar interests. Outside the compound life is very limited for ladies as you will have to wear an abaiya which at this time of year is just hot and uncomfortable. You can ask the men in thew shops questions, and the managment office of your compound will also be able to answer questions, but it is not really generally acceptable to talk to strange men in the supermarkets etc, neither is it permitted that you greet even men that you may know with any sign of affection (hug or kiss on cheek) You are allowed a very small quantitiy of fluid on most flights as hand luggage so check with the airline you travel with re their regulations. As far as travel with children, the good thing is they casnt get lost! lots of activities (yes well done red goblin) and if you travel with Gulf air they have a sky nanny to help out and entertain children. 4 is the start age for children at international schools, some will have a wait list so suggest you google them to get registered asap. The great thing for you is that there are always volunteers needed at schools for various things and its a great way to get involved and meet new people, so when asked to do somethings say yes for the first year and by then you will be settled with a great friendship group. The non driving deal is a pain for us gals too, but believe me once you see the way it is here you will be glad you dont drive.......... its really bad.
Depending on where exactly you are, you will need to escape every now and then, Dubai, Bahrain, Doha, are all great places to go to for a weekend, and all offer the forbidden alcohol and pork, the movies!! which always taste so much better when its normally not available, a little like coming off a diet and being force fed doughnuts! Good luck

@bernex: ouch! that hurt! :D:D , but yeah.. limited knowledge of things is kinda right..

Just trying to help..

Thank you for your help RedGoblin! ;)

It wasnt meant to hurt or offend at all, apologise if it did, but I believe that questions should only be answered when its 100% certain of the answer, as wrong advise is worse than  no advise when making such a big move with children is hard and scary enough in my humble opinion as someone who has done it many times...........

@bernex: please! no offence taken.. Was just kidding around.
and you are right, your inputs were more thorough!

Cheers!