Don Gerado Apartments

Is anyone familiar with this place?
The place looks great from their web site, and they advertise a monthly rate as well....$500 for one person. HOWEVER, they do NOT reply to emails, which makes me a little leery. So I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with the place. Thanks!

Never heard of it.
But... I just gave it a call :D
Was answered : "Good Evening, Don Gerardo Apart Hotel." I said hello and asked if they were legit. :D

Long story short, in the end it was with the Mistress (Owner) herself I talked to... :o

muffiemae, she said besides annoying e-mail's she gets about visa application ect. which she doesn't bother to respond, she couldn't really say she hadn't received any mail's concerning her hotel which she hasn't responded to. 

I suggest try again.The e-mail address at the bottom of the home page is the one she said is used.

Thank you for calling them! The address at the bottom of the page is the one I used. She must not even OPEN her emails, because the few questions I asked were strictly regarding the hotel - not visa applications or anything else. And my emails certainly could not have been considered annoying - unless trying to get more information about the hotel is considered annoying.

Here's what I wrote: "Your web site indicates $500 USD for a monthly rate in the Master Suite. Is this correct? And there is a stove and refrigerator and microwave, correct? Also - you say you have internet. Would my room have wifi? Thank you."

I just sent a third email. We will see if she responds.

Thanks again for calling her.

No problem, I only charge a bottle of beer per call upon your arrival. :cool: Ask majbjb :lol:

Anyway... She had a nice voice on her, if you're single and she too, it might be worth a third, fourth or even a fifth try :D

Good luck which ever way. ;)

You're on for the beer! I'll keep trying her.

I look forward to meeting some of you guys in Asuncion. I'll be there in late July. Thanks for all the help.

...:rolleyes:... july... better make that a wine plz, only used to beer after 8pm and when the temp. is still above 28`C :cool:

I sent a third email last night. I have to assume she doesn't want the business and I'll plan to stay elsewhere. I'm certainly not going to "chase" the owner trying to get a response. I don't have much patience with businesses that have zero customer service.

I appreciate GOOD customer service. I've had prompt and helpful replies from Lilia Valdez at the Black Cat. Contrary to what someone else posted, they do have private rooms (a bath is shared with 2 other private rooms) and Lilia even sent me pictures of the private rooms which don't appear on their web site.

muffiemae wrote:

I appreciate GOOD customer service. I've had prompt and helpful replies from Lilia Valdez at the Black Cat. Contrary to what someone else posted, they do have private rooms (a bath is shared with 2 other private rooms) and Lilia even sent me pictures of the private rooms which don't appear on their web site.

I wonder where these rooms are located, the building they use for the shared rooms only has 3 rooms if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they expanded into the patio or they took over another small pension closeby.

Can you give us an update when you get there?

Sure, will do.

hi muffiemae, you can check and consider residencia-nazareth.com too or anyway I assume you wont live for long on a residential so:
clasificados.abc.com.py/rubro.php?rubro=CL30&subrubro=CL3004

link to the main newspapper clasiffied adds for rental apartments

Good luck!

Thank you. The Nazareth looks beautiful, but the apartments are larger than what I will need (and probably more expensive). But I'm glad to see there are so many options.

Nazareth is a ripoff. I went there to see the appartements.

They had 1 available, wich was a small 2 bedroom appartement. Asking price was US$ 700/month without negotiating. We didn't even bother to negiotate the price because we didn't like it.

The location is not that good either, for that price you can rent a house in Villa Morra.

Hi

Yes I am familiar with those apartments and have toured them.

It is in a very upscale neighborhood, Mbaracuya, of Asuncion near Shopping Del Sol, and they are furnished, simply but clean, they have internet, phone, a pool.  I would stay there if I needed a place for a short time because $500 a week is $2,000 a month and that's a lot of money for ASU!  You can rent duplexes for $1.5 million Gs. per month which is $378 a month.

Just stop by the place, they were friendly enough people.

I have a number of friends whom I consider my Paraguayan family who live within blocks, and the big Superseis market is on the corner.

ParaguayCarol

I stayed there for 2 months last year. Loved it.  The prices then were $500 per month for a motel like room with a small kitchenette.  I was there for 3 weeks when a 1 bedroom apartment became free for $600 per month, with the bedroom in a separate room.  I could never figure out how the actual rooms compared to the website diagrams or names. 
It is a legit business with quite a number of long term and regular clients. The manager lives in one of the apartments with her daughters. 
The only downside (for me)is it is in a upmarket suburban area, and you will need a car.  When I was there I had a hire car for the entire 2 months, which pushed the price up.  When I finally buy a car I would stay there again in a second.

how much would be the "long term" rent for a furnished OR unfurnished house with a swimming pool and parking space in Villa Morra near HSBC bank?

how are the cars priced in Asuncion?

I am already a permanent resident. Now i plan to live there full time.

ThaiFood wrote:

how much would be the "long term" rent for a furnished OR unfurnished house with a swimming pool and parking space in Villa Morra near HSBC bank?

how are the cars priced in Asuncion?

I am already a permanent resident. Now i plan to live there full time.

CLASIPAR

For new members as myself, seems like the local market is under some pressure -
http://www.lanacion.com.py/articulo/597 … aguay.html - and prices have followed.

Clasipar is the source for online users, and the owner of the platform do not mind the net-trafic [ chena.com/bio.php ], he turns internet clicks into money - widestat.com/chena.com .

For those seeking a lower budget, one is forced to turn outside Gran assuncion to find a backpakers budget.
Paulo

What would you call a "backpacker budget" ?
In my opinion hostels here are a bit overpriced, but for example the Black Cat has the same prices as in 2010, but due to the weaker dollar and euro/stronger Guarani it has gotten a bit more expensive.

If you have the right contacts and now the right places Asuncion is still pretty cheap I think.

The article is pretty much worthless because it doesn't provide immigation numbers from the past few years, so you can't compare anything.

I've just looked through todays  (26/3/12)issue of the newspaper ABC Color and there is 2 columns of apartments to rent,ranging from 800,000GS per month for student type apartments to an average of 2,000,000GS, with the occasional high priced offering. 
I've spent the last few months in Hotel del Palmas del Sol for a long term price of 125,000GS per night (prices have risen but I have a negotiated price they are honouring), and this week I'm moving to Don Gerardo for $500 per month, for another 2 months. 
I chose Palmas del Sol because it is close to the centre for my residency application and there are colectivos, taxis, restaurants etc all with walking range (Migracciones is 5 min away). It is also clean, airy, with a pool, courtyard, WIFI, laundry service, best breakfast available and friendly staff.  I hate dingy, claustrophobic hotels. I'm only moving becsuse I want to hire a car and travel, so the hire car cost will be partially offset by the rent reduction.

Most of these rentals are long term, and you will need to buy furniture etc.  If, like me, you want to travel the world, and have a home in Paraguay for up to 6 months a year, then a place like Don Gerardo is perfect, as, obviously, you are not paying dead rent for when you are not here.  It is only the matter of storage of those items you do have which become an issue (another post of mine).

Hotel Shalom is another place with decent long-term prices.

My advice: email the mid range hotels like I did and obtain a price for one month.  When you are here check the newspapers and Clasipar, and use the telephone.  If you want a deal have a Paraguayan friend do all the ringing for you so the price won't go up.

Don't overthink it.

Just a quick tip. f you're going to stay in Portal del Sol or Palmas del Sol use hostelbookers.com! For some reason the prices are way lower than the normal prices (ever after negotiating).

http://www.hostelbookers.com/results/lo … e/gue=true

US$19 is about Gs 82.000. (that's only Gs32.000/night more than a bed in a room with 7 other people in the Black Cat for a nice private bedroom with a very good breakfast buffet).

Palmas del Sol is probably has the best price/value ratio in the centre.

Hi Pman,

Thank you for sharing the "hostelbookers" website.

It does appear, however, that the lower prices (for instance at Palma Del Sol) that you mention are for multiple beds (like up to four) in a hostel-like setting per room? No? It would seem that the rate negotiated by Gabtar was actually quite good, even better that "hostelbookers" quotes......for a PRIVATE, SINGLE room. This according to the hostelbookers site quote for Palma Del Sol. If I am in error, please let me know as I would like to take advantage of those rate if they are really for PRIVATE, SINGLE rooms. Otherwise, it appears Gabtar got the deal.

Thank you again.

Sky

You are a 100% correct, sorry I provided you with the wrong info, hostelbookers always fools me like that.