Confusing situations since I moved to Hong Kong!!

Was it my ignorance to local believes? Would it be different if I had seek advises from palm readers, or put two dots on both eyelids for good feng shui? OR.....avoid buying a place that faces the cemetery?

HK is superstitious place and after 4 yrs living here, I start to realise that I have encountered many confusing situations here.

Or is it just a coincidence?

So part of the ordeals are, like- within no time of arriving - in no particular order; having to deal with police, hospital, equal opportunity commission, labor department, lawyers, got pregnant, got fired and married to a controlling European husband. My HK life is so strange, it's almost like one day I could be busy looking into catalogues searching for the perfect couch or a good school for our girl and the other day searching the internet for information on filing divorce.

Stressful ! ...and yoga doesn't help! Turning to alcohol and drugs? Easy like a piece of cake here -but that will put me into retarded state for the next 4 days. No no.

Does anyone out there live in HK ? Or anywhere else on earth and encounter similar experience?

Blinking Almond Eye

Hi and welcome to Expat.com almond eye!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm sure you had good ones too. I hope other members can help you with theirs soon ;)

Regards
Armand

My name is Boris, but my friends call me for some unknown reason JW, and I am from Miami but I have been living in Hong Kong for the past 3.5 years. I am feeling similar to things here in HK and it is a challenge. When I came to visit a friend here in 2007 I saw how Hk would be a challenging place for me. I knew it would be much harder then Miami but, I didnt know how hard it can be. Language can become a barrier especially if I am talking about things not about work and it is not as easy to make friends, good friends I mean. I have made many Basketball and Tennis friends and I am friendly towards my co workers. Maybe joining a gym, taking a class or taking up jogging can help. I try to keep a smile and say hello to everyone even thought they usually dont notice my hellos cause most are very busy walking very fast. JW

Hi Almond, If you need a friend to talk i am here.. I just move to HK for about 2 month... I hope you are manage to deal with your stress. Take care

Yeah I tried to help but no reply. Hope all works out. JW

sorry for the silence. i've been dealing with some tough situation. divorce might be inevitable and i've looked around for good lawyer experienced in matrimonial issues. soon to be ex husband threatened taking custody, and all other financial threats and refused counselling. It's never ending. If any of you know a trustable lawyer, please do let me know. I promise to check this website often.

Good luck on that and you will come through it. I was a house dad for 15 years and ex was stressed at work and unhappy which i reacted by also being unhappy. We both agreed on a divorce she being a medical doctor got a lawyer to protect her money, property and other things. At the end I didnt get a lawyer nor did I take any money all I got was what I felt was important which were the kids. Funny thing, yeah I got the kids but after 15 years of cleaning, cooking and raising kids I was not employable so my ex also got the kids so here I am In Hong Kong. JW

yes we act that way as we have ego, and pride. i'm not an agressive nor provocative, i'm a humble person and i struggle when people push their boundaries too far. right now i'm thinking, perhaps i should just shut up and swallow it but- didn't manage to. again, it's the EGO and PRIDE! I am not aiming for his money, i'm asking for my rights. i assume your ex got the kids as she was the one with more money in the bank account? didn't you fight for it?

I learned this it takes 2 people to fight. JW