Living in the Maldives

Hello,

my family (husband and two small children)and I will be moving to the Maldives for my husbands work in a few months (probably beginning of september).  We have been surching the internet to find accommodation possibilities close to Malé, but have been unsuccesfull in finding information.  All we know is that in Malé there are only appartments for rent... and since we have two children we would like to have an outside space for them to play.  Also Malé seems very bussy, we would prefer somewhere more quite and relax to live. Is there anyone who can give us some advise in this matter?  How is Vilimalé/Vilingili to live in, are there stores?  We would prefer a three bedroom accomodation with a possibility to have an outdoor... What would be the possibilities for a family of 4 and what would the cost be?

thanks in advance for all the advice.
Kind regards,
Sigrid

Hi, contact me on my mobile 77 77 222

Cheers,

Hi Abdul,

could you please participate on the forum instead of giving your phone number without any explanation?

that would be appreciated, thanks

Male' is not a good place if you are living with small children and want outdoor space because you won't find any, it's too populated!  You would be better trying Hulumale' and Vilingilli, if your husband will be based in Male' he can jus get the ferry everyday-takes about 5-10 minutes. 
I live in Male' and it's really expensive especially for ex-pats.  good luck and hope you enjoy

Hi Sigrid,

congratulations for your husband and your family.

unfortunately there isnt much options in maldives for such living, if you prefer to live close to male there are two options, Vilimale and hulhumale, Vilimale is about 5 - 10 mins by a ferry from male.

and hulhumale is about 20-30 mins by ferry,

vilimale is very small and thee isnt much vehicles on the island, and its very green with nice beaches.

if you have kids above 7 years, then i suggest that you find a nice place at hulhumale, apartments in hulhumale is less expensive compare to both male and vilimale, and there is a international school there.

wish you best of luck

cheers
mooch
(maldivian)

oops forgot,

costs, depends, a nice fully furnished apartment with 3 rooms will cost something from 1000-1500$s per month and utilities will cost aprox, 200$s, water and electricity.

you might get a nice apartment for a bit less if your lucky.

schooling, will cost from almost nothing to 200$s per kid per month, depending on your choice. and for food lets me give you an idea, a bread will cost about 1.2US$, Vegs will cost aprox 2$s per KG max, a pet cola 500ml will go for about 50 cents,

our current forex rate is 15.42MVR=1USD.

hope this helps, if you need more info feel free to reply.

cheers
mooch

Dear Peachy and Mooch,

I thank both of you very much for these replies... we will definitly take your advice and will probably search for a house on Hulhumalé... my husband will probably have his office on that island so it is perfect if we can live there... the company will be paying for housing and they are willing to pay up to 2500 dollar, so hopefully we can find a house with a bit of outdoors there...
Again thank you both so much for answering all my questions ...
Kind regards,
Sigrid

Hi Sigrid,

if they give 2500$ for housing, you would most defnitly get a apartment almost at beach front.

cheers
mooch

hi i am engineer wajahat from PAkistan .I want some good friends from Maldives .Can any 1 help me? i love maldives too much

Hi wajahat44 and welcome on the forum!

I would suggest to create a new thread on the Maldives forum for better visibility ;)

Regards
Armand