Got the job...now moving forward

Good Afternoon Expats..

After 4 interviews i have finally managed to get the job that i was after.  I leave the UK a week tomorrow (Friday) travel to Livorno to get the Ferry to Malta arriving on 6th June.

I need to sort out my Social Security number and would like to know where i would sort this, i already have a Maltese ID number as I have owned a property in Malta for the past 5 years.

Moving forward from the job side.... does anyone know of a free uk VPN that will allow the use of iplayer / itv player / Sky Player etc... i have heard of a program called expat shield but don't know if anyone has used it.

As I have a Maltese ID card i have heard that i can only have my car in the country for 7 days before i have to register it and pay the duty, Although the duty payment is to allow me to sell my Car in Malta if i need to which i wont be doing and i will also take it back to the UK when i leave so i can't see why i have to pay duty but thats my opinion..

Also have a few bits to move from UK, BBQ, Outdoor Table and chairs boxes etc... anyone have any idea of groupage companies or prices... i have a price from a full 20' Container but that worked out at approx 2000 Euro..

Any Help to this would be appreciated

Thanks

Julian

In regards to the SS number, there are a few offices around the island, so depends where abouts you will be staying. There is one in Sliema and one in Msida that i know about. Here is a list of all their addresses and phone numbers ;

http://www.servicecharters.gov.mt/depts … 20Security

There are a number of VPNs you can use for the UK TV online, I'm not sure about free ones though :( I've mailed you a link anyway.

Can't help with the car though. And the shipping sounds about right. I wanted to get 4 boxes, roughly suitcase sized and only 20kg each sent over and the cheapest quote I got was around 600 EURO!

Thanks for your response.... i have heard of a presidence set with regards to the car so i will be looking at that pretty sharpish... I am based in Birzebbuga and work in Naxxar... so will take a look thanks again ;)

Jules

Hi,

Check this up cardinalmaritime.com/
There you find a calculator to count your fees.
We used them to ship our household items from the UK. I don't remember how much we payed but wasn't more than 250 pounds and it was 250 kg packed in 16 - not very large - cardboard boxes. Plus we paid 30 euros for port charges etc.

We also imported our car, but I haven't started the process yet as we are waiting for some documents from the UK. See the forum "import my own car" there are helpful information.

TV: we watch free via 'open proxy' but it doesn't work smooth, sometimes slow and needs a bit of a fiddling. If you are not happy with that there are a number of proxy services at a price between EUR 3-10 monthly.

Good luck,
Bee

CONGRATULATIONS Julian, cant help on any of the info your after as we're still trying to sell up here in the UK. Just wanted to say well done on the job front.

Amanda x

regarding your social security number you need to get the papers from your new employer for the ETC and take them to Centru ACCESS at 72, Melita Street, Valletta and you can apply there.

Hey Amanda... Dont give up... seriously we have been trying for years.. Tried to sell my house in the UK, Market crashed not chance so my dream just gets altered and instead of Diving for a Living, I stay in IT and work hard for a few years instead....

Dont give up on your dreams... there not as far away as they seem

Julian

Hi Julian, we are back in UK tomorrow night we found a great house so sign papers tomorrow before we fly back/ I am planning to buy a 7.5 ton truck so I can bring my edit suites and cameras also want to bring around 100 set-top boxes etc so I might have room for some stuff, I plan to sell it after we unload it, must be someone looking for a truck to drive back with. Our plan is to be be driving back to Malta in around 2 weeks. Jim.