Racism in Argentina?

Hi

I am from (India) going to study in Bueno Aires for the nex3 years . Now have got a little afraid cos i heard stories about argentina and specially Bueno Aires to be very racist against dark skinned people. I talked to an other Indian buissnes man that went for holiday with his wife and kids . And at many resturants even if the resturant was open and people sitting and eating they said the resturant was closed. Also they got the hfeeling that they was not really welcomed there.  If they was welcomed in they mostly got the worst table in the room.
And very slow service. This resturants was really expensive ones also.

Is this just a smal phenomen ? I know that Russia is very bad but i could never think about this of an South American country that was not white from beginning. I have liven in Sweden for last 10 years , and i have never seen or been treaten en bad there.

Please i am happy for all comment...I hope i am wrong. I really would like to see Argentina.

Nihal

Hey Nihal, welcome around here !

I don't know Argentina, but I'd say the same as if it were in any other place. Until you feel prejudiced of some sort, you don't have to be afraid. It's not because another Indian person felt that way that you have to feel it too, I don't know if you know what I mean ;-)
For example, back in Amsterdam, I always feel happy and joyful and everything positive. And I am mixed. But my sister, who has a very white skin, feels racism and prejudiced in people's eyes. Something I've never ever felt !
If you go somewhere telling yourself "they ain't gonna do it cause I'm dark/Indian/black/something-else", that will more certainly happen. :-)

You have to try, and then... ;-)

Being a very anglo Irish-American, I can't really comment on racism in Baires from a first-hand perspective!!

I will say though that Baires lacks the sort of diversity that you might expect in a large South American city, so particularly dark-skinned people would probably be subject to curiosity and draw people's attention, at the very least.

At our girls' school, we have a couple of kids from Nigeria, and I have not seen any racism on the part of the kids or the parents.

Don't know if that helps!

Hi,

I just wrote a post about racism in Argentina. You won't really find the racial diversity that you do in some other South American countries. In fact I think you will experience very few problems here, however, be aware that there is a kind of subtle racism here that I find unappealing.

scottishnomad.com/racism-and-discrimination-in-argentina

Hi there!
I'm from Buenos Aires , so I'll try to give you a better picture. Before I would like to apologize for what happended to your friend, that's not common here.
First of all, Buenos Aires is the less South American city in the continent. It's most likely European for reasons we could discuss later. But, for what I know and other Europeans and Americans told me this looks most like Europe sometimes.
Most of the population here in the city is caucasian and most of dark people are believed to be from other countries like Bolivia (and I underline "believed"). But here is the catch of how racism works in BA: the dark people you'll see are mestizos (mix from European and Natives) and that's the "kind of people" that morons here discriminate based on that they are poor or from Bolivia (that's ridiculous cause we have the same mestizos in the north) and those are the one who will rob you, kill you, rape your wife, bla bla bla. That's a prejudice based on half-truths.
In conclusion, most of the people wont treat you bad just for being from India, and as someone replied before, they will see you with curiosity, is not common to see Africans or Indians, and most of the people here likes to meet someone else from another countries and know about their culture. Forget about being mistreated in a Restaurant, that must have happened because that was a terrible one, but is not common.

So, I hope that this information helps you and gives you confidence to come and live in BA, is a beautiful place despite its flaws.

Feel free to ask me anything.
Take care!

Hi,

I can tell you that Argentineans are made up mostly of European, Armenians, Italians and Middle Easterners (and some Aboriginal tribes). I think the only people that get odd stares in Argentina, at least in Cordoba (I'm sorry but I don't know much about Buenos Aires) are people of African descent or people who have features similar to some Bolivians, Ecuadorians or Peruvians but this type of reaction is more often seen in older Argentineans (like my folks) who are in their late 60s. The younger generation is far more open (for the most part). Argentina is mainly a white society. I say white because since Argentina does not have the diversity of people of African descent more commonly seen in the States, they consider themselves white. Most people I've encountered in Argentina are as white, if not whiter than people in the States. From what I do know of Buenos Aires I can tell you this. It is a city of international traffic, including citizens from the U.K. (which is unfortunately a sore spot for some Argentineans because of the Malvina/Falkland Islands dispute of 30 years ago).

Argentineans are very laid back. Everything usually shuts down in the afternoon for a few hours which can be a pain for some expats and can lead to misunderstandings until you get use to it. I've had the door closed in my face several times whenever I arrived at the start of the siesta period. As far as Indians, Middle Easterners and Armenians, you might hear yourself referred to as "Turco" which means Turk. It's not meant to be offensive in any way. I am of Armenian descent as was my mother so obviously being called a Turk is not ideal but given that Argentineans in no way mean it in a hostile way I let it slide. Argentineans tend to categorize people racially in this way, White (Argentinean), Gringo or Yankee (for U.S. citizens), Turco (for Middle Easterners, Indians, Armenians), Chinos (for all Asians), Tanos (for Italians), Negros (for anyone of pure African descent though in some cases the latter is used in a derogatory way against people from Bolivia, Nicaragua, Colombia or Mexican who have migrated to Argentina).

I hope this helps and I didn't bombard you with too much.

You'll find people who will prejudge no matter where you go. I've been the victim of it myself but don't let it stop you from experiencing something new. Argentina is beautiful and for the most part the people are very friendly and welcoming. I wish you good luck and a good journey.

Jorge

Hey IŽm Canadian but lived here when I was a kid and since then I've been here many times. I can tell you that there is a spice of racism in Arg, mostly inherited from the Italians and the Spanish, but its merely folkloric, that is that they might give immigrants names like "Tano" or "Gallego", but I have never seen anyone despised or denied a job for being an immigrant, on the contrary people are very helpful on the street when have a problem. Porteños have a very bitter outlook, but are very sentimental on the inside.
I find Buenos Aires the best place to be in Europe without living in Europe.

Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch!  No matter where you go, you are most likely going to be able to find some kind of racism.  Don't let someone's bad experience stop you from experiencing something you want.

HI GUYS!

I'm living in Buenos Aires and writing articles to send back to the UK. At the moment i'm doing some research on Racism in Argentina and remember there being a forum on the topic.
I've already read scottishnomad 's article here: scottishnomad.com/racism-and-discrimination-in-argentina

but I was wondering if people could message me their opinions as a lot of the replies here are very 'don't worry you'll be fine'. The father of my Argentine boyfriend regularly makes jokes against jews and black people (something that has really developped my talent of biting my tongue and so far my boyfriend has not expressed views of the sort. thankfully)

Any story would be appreciated. THANKS!! :)

Hi Rachel,

I can tell you what my experience has been in Cordoba. I can also tell you how my parents who were born and raised in Argentina feel about certain races. Some Argentinians feel a certain way, others don't.

About people from the UK: Anyone that remembers about the war with the Malvinas/Falkland Islands have a strong distaste for people from the UK. Argentinians strongly feel that the islands were stolen from them and they continue to call them Malvinas despite the obvious. The younger generation of Argentinians don't seem to care so much. I've even seen some Argentinian teens with shirts that say "I love Britain".

There aren't that many black people in Argentina but surprisingly there are a lot more than there used to be say thirty years ago. I can tell you that my parents and most of my family have a strong negative reaction to them being in Argentina and I've noticed that a lot of the Argentinians I've spoken to since my arrival feel the same way. Since I was raised in the United States I've lived with and have had friends who are black so I obviously don't feel the same way.

About the people from Spain: Argentinians have a strong dislike towards many of them because they claim that the Spaniards call Argentinians "Sudaca" which technically is a blending of two words which roughly means southern sh-crap). But it's ironic because there are some Argentinians who are descendant from Spaniards, like my mother, who's maternal grandmother was from Spain.

About the Jews: This is a really touchy subject. My parents don't like them and it's been my impression from other Argentinians that they feel the same way. Again, having been raised in the States I've lived among people of all cultures including Jews and I have no prejudices against them.

While you may hear Argentinians refer to Italians as "Tano", it is in no way meant as an insult. It's the equivalent of calling a Jewish person a Jew. Also Asians, regardless of where they are from are usually called Chino. Which means Chinese. People from the Middle East are called Turco which means Turk. This is ironic because there is a large Armenian community in Argentina. My maternal granfather was Armenian and from what I'm told he detested being called a Turco because the Turks were responsible for the Armenian genocide.

There are some Argentinians that dislike the people from Chile and Uruguay and Paraguay. I'm not entirely sure why other than what my mother has told me. She claims the hatred comes because she feels that these countries have sold out to places like the U.K. and the United States for business while Argentina has remained (intentionally) away from too much business with these countries.

Argentinians from other provinces have a strong distaste for people in Buenos Aires. I'm told that this has something to do with the misconception that the people in the capital are stuck up. I can't really say whether this is true or not because I have not had the fortune of encountering or making any friends from Buenos Aires.

My U.S. upbringing has given me an open-mindedness that unfortunately some people (like my folks) seriously lack.

I would also like to point out that while some people in Argentina cling to old prejudices, no one, as far as I've seen has ever taken a bat to someone's head for their cultural background.

As far as work discrimination is concerned you are more likely to find discrimination based on gender and age in Argentina rather than culture.

If you have any further questions or you'd like me to elaborate on something I've written please feel free to e-mail me at the expat site or here [email protected]

LOL!!!  I think this issue is being soft pedalled.

First of all, a little bit of history:

Argentina's native population was insignificant in size when the Spaniards arrive.  They were quickly eradicated or intermarried so for all intents and purposes, there was no native population to Argentina.  About 90% of Argentina is of European descent, mostly from the Mediterranean region. So what you have now is a population make up very similar to what you'd see in Spain. 

Uruguay is very similar to Argentina in this respect. 

So, is there racism in Argentina?  Yes.  Is it as bad as Russia? No, but it's noticeable by somebody of darker skin.

Nihal,

I have lived in Buenos Aires for four months and my experience is the exact opposite. How people treat you depends on you? You are the stranger in town educate yourself about its history and its culture and you will do fine.  Open your mind. I have the best time despite my limited spanish and this is because of the graciousness and niceness.

I use public transportation, go everywhere and generally have a good time.

Have fun,

Roop

Look mate, I went to India and I fully expected to be stared at in the countryside, it happened. I went though all my school years being called chinky. I am kinda chinese looking with darker skin than anyone in England except the Indian population obviously.
Are you super black, like a Sri Lankan, for me that might, just might expain why people thought you were a curiosity. Hell if I see my mate Jaspal of Sri Lankan descent I immediately think he is the blackest man on the planet! It is about the person and not the colour of your skin that is important here. Like someone else here said, there is always a bad apple spoiling the bunch, I will add not to tarnish my brush with yours. If you are a horrible person, it doesn't matter what colour you are, you will be treated as such.
There are pubs that you cannot go into because you support a different team, schools you cannot get into because your grandfather didn't attend, all black schools, all muslim schools, all catholic schools, the list goes on and on and on. I call my friend a ginger bstard, colorado, for me this is no different to other forms of racism if we could only find where these ginger people came from.

Anyways, hope to have spread some light on this with a bit of humour .....

Argentinians are amazing people, with massive hearts, super resourceful, adaptable and welcoming, but like anywhere on the planet .... a few exceptions don't make the rule!

Think of this, you might get pickpocketed in Baires whether you are black or white, you will get beaten up in the UK whether you are black or white

Yes, Argentina it is a racist country.

From its beginning.

in the late 1880, President Julio A.Roca mass murderer most of the native americans south of the country, Patagonia.

The called ''generation del 80'' in Argentina, was a group of thinkers, that only approved the white european immigration to Argentina.

Now, is Argentina worst than other countries?. not really. USA mass murderer most of the native americans, as well, and Australia had an white only immigration policy until the 1960-1970....

So, yes, Argentina it is racist. But mostly the whole world it is racist.

Native americans in Argentina, in general they are poor, and they do not have access to higher education. Most university educated people, are from european descent.

In my oppinion, sadly, i see that, through history, native americans in Argentina; are third class citizens. And ''mestizos'' in Argentina, are second class citizens. (Mestizo = someone with native american and european blood.)

These extrapolates to the population today. I believe it is fading with the pass of the years (thank god), maybe in 50 years there will be zero discrimination. But not today.

I did not want to scare you. These does not mean that you are going to have a bad time in Argentina; or that it is unsafe for you.  It simply means that you need to be prepared for bad times along with the good times. I will be glad to meet someone from India; great country, with alot of history.

Best regards,
Have fan in Argentina.

Parole Parole italocriollo!

While I agree that what's been done to Native Americans in Argentina and the American continent in general is cruel, Argentina in general is not that bad. They are a xenophobic society who want to preserve the integrity of their ways without the contamination of other cultures, specifically Americans or British, but that is their right as a society. I've been here for 9 months and I have yet to see or here about a hate crime in Cordoba against someone from another country ... and Indians (from India, not Native Americans) are common in Argentina. Argentinians identify friends by their racial background and is in no way meant to offend. Just the other day I was at a party and one of our friends is Polish and when they called him they would go "Ey Polaco! Veni para aca" which loosely translates to "Hey Polish, come over here." Anyone from the middle east is referred to as Turcos and no one here takes offense to that. People call me and my spouse Yankees and I don't take offense to that. So I think it's a matter of whether you're an ultra-sensitive person. Argentina is a completely different society from other American countries. People just can't come here expecting them to adapt to expats. We have to adapt to their ways.

Also, i forgot....

In the war of the tripple alliance, 1860's; Argentina-Uruguay-Brasil unified; fight against Paraguay. History tells that Argentina used the population of african descent as infantery....

Just some facts. (let suppose correct facts. History is not 100% sure, but is not 100% wrong)

best regards

No offense but I think the person that initially asked about racism was asking about now and not what happened centuries ago. Currently, the situation in Argentina is nowhere near as bad in the term of racism as it is in the U.S. Thank you.