We are expats from California, now living in San Miguel de Allende

I'd like to find blogs written by those living in Mexico who are not in the 5% wealth category and actually have to life within a budget less than $3,000/month.  Where are they?  Seems the only expats who write blogs are those in the higher income category.

Hi I am living in San Luis Potosi MX about 5 hrs by autobus from you. I live on a little less than 3K a month. I have visited SMA for 5 days. It seemed nice but I kinda of got the feeling there is not much to do there. in SLP I teach English as a second language so work keeps me busy, provides interesting friends as we also have French and German teachers as co-workers. I would be interested in hearing from you how you keep busy in SMA. It is a very pretty city.

I believe rent in much higher in SMA, Is it $500 to $1200 for a one bedroom. In SLP $300 to $400 is more then norm for a nice area.

All over the map is my guess.
We are from just outside of Detroit, MI.
But I have met people from at least 25 states and I believe most of the Provinces.  Plus a couple Aussies and a Brit or two.

I am here on less than that. I am working to put one together with actual cost on day to day living here.

There is a San Miguel newcomers' group that meets the last Wednesday of each month at 6:30 pm at Mesones Sreet Cafe, Mesones 74.

Jackie expats come from all over and include all ages. Lots of single men and women, retires and some with children. I work with expats every day. Greg who has posted above is a friend. I am the guest speaker at the newcomers' group at Mesone's Cafe. They meet the last Wednesday of every month at 6:30 pm. The topic this month will be Immigration, INAPAM and Seguro Popular free health care. Following next month will be about driver's license, nationalizing cars, buying a car in Mexico. Bekka coordinates these meetings and she is full of energy and one of numerous singles here. Also drop into Harry's on Hidalgo any evening and Berlin especially Friday about 5 pm and you will meet many.

welcome to San Miguel

saludos

I am a retired widow who would love to hear from other single retired women about their experieces in SMA. :)

I am a retired English teacher and would like to know if their are possible teaching positions available in SMA? I have many years of teaching experience throughout the Midwest and England. As I am in my early 70's, most of the international schools appear to prefer younger teachers...

I would also welcome information from single retired women who live in SMA concerning their experiences.

Are you Residente Permenante? Unless you are volunteering there are strict rules about expats working in Mexico.
I do not know many single women that follow this list, But I can tell you there are many single (over 60) women living here. If you private message me you email address I would put you in touch with a couple of them.

Thank you Fred, I would appreciate it. **

Thanks again

Judy

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum.

Hi Kathy,

We have Interior Design in common. I practice in Texas. We are in a 12 month transition to SMA. We are still trying to decide what we are leaving behind and what we will buy once we are in SMA. I bet you know all the great furniture stores. I would love to chat with you.

Teresa

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please

HI!  I am a 20 year veteran Spanish teacher from Maui.  Whenever any friends ask me about programs to learn Spanish, I suggest they start with the Pimsleur cds, which you can generally find at any library.  They're wonderful for listening to in the car or on your phone.  The app duolingo is also great!  Hope this helps!

oops! This was supposed to be replying to someone asking about rosetta stone, but now I don't see that original post.  Aaaaanyway, hope it's helpful! ;-) 

(and while I'm writing, I might as well offer......

I'd love to stay in SMA a bit longer.... anyone want a live-in Spanish teacher for a week or two? :-)

Currently living in Naples, Fl., but I've always wanted to visit San Miguel.  So am planning on spending 4-6 weeks there next summer (2018) but would like to have something specific to do as a means of meeting the locals.  I don't need a job; maybe volunteering at a school or church, or just helping in someone's shop.  Any ideas?

You will enjoy San Miguel. We have been here 10 years and I meet expats daily. This page will help. As well you may volunteer for feed the Hungry; at the Biblioteca helping with English, So Others May Eat, Rotary, schools as you noted if they are not on vacation, etc.

Happy to answer questions

Sonia