Getting Closer....Looking for advice on where I should live

I am getting closer to coming to India to live!! Yay!! I am in the process of negotiating my contract. 

As part of my contract I will be given most of my rent...I am hoping for some advice on where to tell my potential employers to look for me. (as they will be the holders of my lease!).  My office will be on Sohna Road in Gurgaon...I've read alot and not sure if Gurgaon or S. Delhi will be the place for me...I really want a safe/secure building,1 bedroom, modern, laundry facilities, maybe a cook..I will have a car/driver for commute but would like to be able to get out and about on my own on evenings/weekends and of course some ex-pats to hang out with....Can I have all this for about 30,000Rs (or up to $600US)??

Any help would be appreciated.

Heather

Hey Heather,

As you said your office will be on Sohna Road, Gurgaon, I suggest that you get a place in Gurgaon as traveling to Sohna Road from S.Delhi will take a lot of time and the traffic is bad during the office hours.

You can easily find all the facilities you have listed for the amount you have set as your budget.

It's a good thing that you'll be getting a car w driver as it can be pretty daunting to go places if you don't own a vehicle in Gurgaon. However, you can call for Cab service if you need one but I am not sure about their services. "Meru" is one of the companies providing cab services. I think it ranges from Rs 15-25/km. You can google that and get more info.

For evenings & weekends, you can drive to the Malls (Metropolitan Mall, DT Cinemas, DT Mega Mall, Ambience Mall (it's 1 km long)) and many other small malls. There are a lot of grocery markets as well. There's always small shopping complex dedicated to the tower or estates which are just 5mins away from the flat.

You can visit Delhi if you get bored in Gurgaon as there are heaps of things to do in Delhi.

Check out my post#26 on a different thread here:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=68216

I hope this helps. If you need to ask anything, just post on this thread and I will try to answer that asap.

Cheers

Oh no, I just posted this today...thank you for the advice!! I will check out your blog.

Heather

Oops Sorry. My Bad. I misread the post date. You posted it today only! I have edited it.

Cheers

Hi Heather,

For almost 2 years, I was working in Gurgaon, however I preferred satying in South Delhi to Gurgaon.It does not offer anything more than malls to hang out. After some time it gets boring and dull. Another problem in Gurgaon is if you on a day do not have a car, you are stranded.

On the other hand Delhi is more green, lot of places to hangout and i'm sure you'll also find most of the expats satying in this part of the city. Delhi any day is more safer than Gurgaon.

Places like Vasant Kunj, Vasant Vihar are closer to Gurgaon, very lively, green, you have sports complex, gyms, nice clubs. Also you can enjoy best of the both the places..Gurgaon and Delhi.

With the amount your co. is offering, you'll be able to get a decent one room apartment.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions to ask.

Sam

Thank you so much for the advice...its hard to tell which areas are close enough to make the commute from S.Delhi bareable!!

For sure if you don't want to spend time commuting, then you should look for something very close to your workplace.

I stay in GK-I which took me abt 40 mins during peak hours and abt 25 mins off peak hours to travel. I always took the Toll road.

I recommended, Vasant vihar and Vasant kunj Area as it is the first place you hit while coming from Gurgaon towards Delhi.

You can ask you employer to look for place in Gurgaon as well as short list something in vasant kunj or vasant vihar. Before Finalising a place commute one of the days from there. You will know if its bearable :)

well come to India.

I agree with Sam but 30,000 will not be a great amount and will leave you with very little to save if you stay in gurgaon or south delhi. maybe you should negotiate to increase. I think south delhi is best place to live in delhi for travel and everything. Gurgaon you will find only dust, malls and costly places.

Thank you for all of the advice!!:)

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Use the business directory]

listen very carefully u dnt have to worry abt anything

dwarka is very near frm gurgaon and it takes only 20 min to reach der. i also live in dwarka in some society flats. its a porshe area whr u wont have have any prob and metro is very near by  so if u r willing to knw more than pls contact me bec i know many property dealers in dwarka and they can provide u awsome flat in between 15k-20k with awsome facilities

aditya- 919899720179

Hey Heather, I agree with Sam. If you want to live in Delhi, I suggest Vasant Vihar. Do bear in mind the commute as the traffic can get quite bad! Divyon is right, your budget probably on the lower end...

Hi Heather,

600 USD is fine to get what you want since you are new in india, so may  be a bit trouble intially. but once you start lving here then you get much better living and faclities then demanding in less cost may be at around 400 USD :) ... its for sure.

my friends living and working in Gurgaon working with Microsoft ,oracle, Appolo, and other IT firms... need help let me know..

regards
IT Geek

hey heather,

This is an article by "Hindustan Times", a local newspaper on the topic "How much rent are you paying". Check it out.

http://epaper.hindustantimes.com/PUBLIC … tml?Mode=1

Cheers

Hi Heather,

I'm sure you can with the  budgets you mentioned can work out a place in Delhi as well as in Gurgaon. (moderated: no free ads on the forum please use our business directory)

(moderated: no free ads please + you should post in our business directory)

Hi Heather,

Have just gone through your post and the suggestions.. Well my office is in Gurgaon and i live in South Delhi. Infact i have a room vacant in my flat to let out if you re interested. Do let me know. Life after work is anyday better in south delhi. There are a lot of places one can go to.

As i say work is a part of life and my life is in south delhi.
Hope you have a lovely time in India.