Moving from Uk to Norway tax query

Hi i have just recently moved to Alesund from the UK. I still work for a UK based firm in the oil and gas industry.

I will soon stop paying tax to the UK. I work in Africa on a 5 week on 5 week off rotation, So to me this means i will not be in Norway for 6 months at a time. I say this becaue i read on the Norwegian Immigration page that if you are not going to be in the country for 6 months or more you don't have to register as a residant.

If i don't register as a resident does this mean i don't have to pay tax to the Norwegian goverment?Is this legal basiclly?

make a trip to a tax office and get some info, they are pretty helpful.  The rules have been changes lately, so it is important that you doucment when you are in the country, best to organise an offshore account, jersey or the like for your wages.  You may still be subject to some tax as well as needing to find out about the 'folkeregister' or the register of people, to do with local government taxes and the like.
Make a list of questions then hit the tax office, like I said, if you ask nicely, they are pretty helpful to get the paperwork in order.
Worst case is that you pay tax to Norway and then get a really big return next year.

Indeed, I do also advise to meet the local tax office, there are special rules for workers in the offshore and oil industry anyway as they want to incentive these type of jobs in Norway-

You can call the taxoffice: 0047 800 80 000.
Its located in Oslo, and they speak english. THere also have english options on their phone if you just wait until they say: " for english menu press....".
Im sure they will help you with whatever question you may have!
Good luck!