Not living in a compound as a unemployed woman

Hi there !
My husband is considering a teaching job in Jeddah starting next september. It would be our first expat experience in a non-western country. I've never considered living in a expat compound before, always wanted to make the most of the local life...but I understand that it's not easy to find a job as a woman in KSA, and as a (currently) independant working girl with no children, i am worried about having a social (and busy) life outside a compound. i don't know much about the coutry yet and could only find "compounders" advise so far, so any thoughts are most welcome!
thanks

Pauline

Hi Pauline,

Compounds do have lots of activities (gym, swimming, parties)and organised shopping tours that will keep you busy. Also compounds are very safe.

If you decide to live outside of a compound, its not impossible. But social interaction is more difficult and can be frustrating in the intial stages.

However, once you build a social network and organise how you are going to get about (driver/taxi etc - as you wont be allowed to drive and public transport is virtually non-existant) its okay.

There are expats who live outside of compounds.

You will have to wear an abaya (black cloak) everytime you step of your home, where as on compound you can wonder around without an abaya.

There is a considerable price differential between compound and non-compound housing.

thanks very much SaudiUk for your answer.
I am aware of what compounds can offer, but I am usually not much into organised activities and I have huge clichés in mind (my apologies)as regard as living exclusively within an expat community. Pleese, feel free to prove me wrong !
I am therefore wondering if I could find those activities (or others) outside compounds (sports, visits, volonteering) and if, as a woman without a profesionnal network, I would be able to interact with other expats or locals. 

I'm on the way to KSA, my husband is working in Jubail we don't consider living in a compound. I'm hard working, very busy (canadian with polish background) woman, who was working almost all her life. I think  that you can always find something to do, no matter where you are. I like the idea to be able to make a friendship with Saudi's women - od course it is going to take time.

thanks grasyna. I share your point of view, but I might lack your confidence!

@Graznya - welcome to KSA. Jubail/Dammam/Khobar (fairly close to each other) is probably the least "restrictive" area in Saudi.

@Zounepops - Not to worry. Activities are available outside of compounds. Many people on this blog organise various events and post them on here for people to join.

I can appreciate moving to foreign country particularly where customs and cultural are different can be daunting.
But very few people I have met have any regrets.

Good Luck!

Hello!

Are you a Filipino?

Hello snc and welcome to Expat.com!

Regards,
Harmonie.

With regards of meeting a Saudi women who is open to speak English and be friendly ... I think possible but you will be lucky to have that.

The Saudi culture is kind of closed within itself. Good luck for you women.

@Graznya : I live in Khobar with my sister and she could give you company when you feel in need to chill with Saudi woman

thank you axa0910, I will contact you when I get there

Hi Zounepops

My hubby will be in Saudi (Jeddah ) at the end of July and we will follow at the end of the year. We are all looking forward to it.

We have decided to stay in a compound, it is just now to find the right one for us and to get the school sorted out for my 7 year old. Compound life sounds like it could be fun....at least when hubby is at work there will be friends around.

Speak soon
Regards

Yolande

Thanks for your latests contributions. We have made up our minds and actually, we won't go to KSA. We'll wait wait for a more appropriated proposition for us.

good luck guys